Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Short Week, Short Memory, Short Season if We Lose Thursday

kleese

I just cannot get behind the notion out there that somehow the defense was good (or not that bad) because we didn't let their running backs beat us. The defense gave up 30 points. 30 POINTS!!! The defense had ZERO sacks against an o-line missing a couple starters at the beginning of the game and lost a couple more during the game. It would be one thing if the d-line kept knocking down passes, but I can't think of any.

Has the bar for this team really been set so low that a unit giving up 30 points is now alright with some?

Most people consider Gus Bradley to be a great DC-- the architect of that Seattle defense. Same guy, same ideas, same scheme. And now he has the worst defense in the league. Because his players stink.

On top of that, the game has changed in football in general. The Seahawks have the best D/secondary in football, yet in San Diego last week Rivers dinked and dunked them to death and they couldn't get off the field, and they had no idea how to stop the ancient Antonio Gates. Against Denver, they wore down late, allowing receivers to run wide open on the final drives.

Seahawks gave up 30 to the Chargers; we gave up 30 to the Eagles.

I don't love Haslett and if he was fired along with the rest of the staff after last year, it would have been warranted. But I am giving him a clean slate in 2014. And so far this year, I am fine with the defense through three games.

Kleese could have been answering your post with this as well...

Yeh, in todays NFL giving up 30 to an elite offense doesn't necessarily mean the D played poorly. The run D was absolutely great. And they got pressure on Foles, and hit him a bunch, you just have to give it up to him. He hung in there, took a beating, but got the ball out and hit open receivers. Then the D made some crucial stands when they needed to the most. Stoned them after the INT to hold them to a FG and then a 3 out to get the ball back for a chance to win.  

Totally agree, must win game on Thursday.

AT first glance I thought the Iggles going to SF was a loss.  But now I am not so sure.  SF has looked like crap.  Nothing scares me about that team right now.  Their "O" sputters and their "D" is not at full strength.  Totally a winnable game for the Dirty Birds.

Most people consider Gus Bradley to be a great DC-- the architect of that Seattle defense. Same guy, same ideas, same scheme. And now he has the worst defense in the league. Because his players stink.

On top of that, the game has changed in football in general. The Seahawks have the best D/secondary in football, yet in San Diego last week Rivers dinked and dunked them to death and they couldn't get off the field, and they had no idea how to stop the ancient Antonio Gates. Against Denver, they wore down late, allowing receivers to run wide open on the final drives.

Seahawks gave up 30 to the Chargers; we gave up 30 to the Eagles.

I don't love Haslett and if he was fired along with the rest of the staff after last year, it would have been warranted. But I am giving him a clean slate in 2014. And so far this year, I am fine with the defense through three games.

This might be relevant or comparable if Haslett just got here after leading a great defense the year before and the team had less talent, but that's not the case. How long has Haslett been here? How long has this defense sucked?

You point out that the Seahawks gave up thirty to the Chargers, but look at what else they have done. They gave up 16 to Green Bay and 20 to Denver. They have seen three of the top QBs in the league and had one bad game. The Redskins have seen Ryan Fritzpatrick, the Jags (worst team in football) and one great offense with a top 15 QB. In the only test the Redskins have had from a defensive perspective, they got lit up.

Special teams was obviously more the culprit in yesterday's loss than the D. As I stated in the game day thread, aside from the kickoff return & the missed chip shot, the return out to the 40 by them on the kickoff following our FG to make it 20-16 with 1:10 left in the half to set up their TD with 19 seconds left until half was a back breaker for us. Sproles was going to take a punt the distance later in the game, but one of our guys dove at his feet & got a shoelace to trip him up, otherwise he's gone.

The D did get beat at times, but overall they played good enough for us to win and got some big stops at the end to give us a shot. What's lost in the D's effort is the dropped INT's. Cousins bad throw that got picked, Philly catches that. Foles makes two throws that we absolutely gotta pick, but we drop them. Baker had one hit him right in the gut and dropped it & Breeland, though it would have been a nice catch, has to make that pick. Another golden egg that jumps out is McCoy's fumble on the sideline that goes out of bounds where if it stays in, we undoubtedly scoop that up.... but that was just a bad luck bounce for us.  At the end of the year, the teams that have the biggest  + turnover ratio are the teams that are going to be in the playoffs. We need to get more turnovers if we are going to contend and when the opposing QB makes a bad throw that hits us in the hands, we need to start making them pay.

woulds coulda shoulda, Special teams allowed on score and missed 3 points. other then run D our D really didnt play well. No sacks, when we had Foles on the ropes he escapes and makes the pass, porous(sp?) D and secondary allowed how many scores? Going to be along season with this secondary I am afraid.

You point out that the Seahawks gave up thirty to the Chargers, but look at what else they have done. They gave up 16 to Green Bay and 20 to Denver. They have seen three of the top QBs in the league and had one bad game. The Redskins have seen Ryan Fritzpatrick, the Jags (worst team in football) and one great offense with a top 15 QB. In the only test the Redskins have had from a defensive perspective, they got lit up.

The Seahawks play much better defense at home than they do on the road. 

Archived