Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opening Script vs Texans (Jags on Deck)

darrelgreenie

NFL teams have a specific gameplan. In these gameplans many teams, especially WCO rooted offenses, script key plays/concepts into the opening possessions of games.
two-cards.jpg

Most scripts consist of ~15 plays designed to establish a rhythm or take advantage of a tendency they spot in the defense or get specific players early touches or establish an identity or use formations to identify defensive coverages etc....

One things is certain, all coaches design their opening scripts to score.

This thread (hopes, lol) to be a discussion of the previous opening script vs Houtson and a look ahead to Jax.

The more specific/detailed (formation/personnel etc) the easier it will be to discuss.

The Jags unlike the Texans are 43 Defense (43 Under) and play more Cover 1(Man/Press) and some Cover 3 (3 Deep zone). They were good against the run vs the Eagles.

Jacksonville-Jaguars1.jpg

What do you want to see or expect to see in the opening script vs the Jaguars?

Don't ask me because they did exactly what I wanted them to do to open the game last week and it didn't work at all :)

One thing I don't ever want to see again is a straight draw to Morris out of shotgun on 3rd and a yard or less. That seems to go strictly against the strengths of both our OL and Morris. They are both more effective when getting a head of steam going which is why our stretch runs are generally so effective. So many coaches over-think third and short, IMO. And Jay did just that last week.

OPENERS VS HOUSTON:

personnel goupings breakdown: http://footballguys.com/10pasquino_11.php

(1)  I-Form Pro  (21 personnel/under center)      (run #1)

Outside zone LEFT ----9 yards gain

(2) Pistol (1/w DeSean @ RB)              (pass #1)

3-step

Instant pressure; check down to DeSean swing route--no gain

(3) I-Form Pistol (21 /TE right)             (run #2)

Inside run

blown-up by Watt----no gain

SERIES 2

(4) Pistol ACE tight (12)                          (pass #2)

All receivers ran Speed outs. Speed out to Garcon----5 yards gain

(5) Pistol  ACE w/WR @ TE (11)

TE cross blocks from right to left   (pass #3)

Bootleg Left-fake outside zone Right--------7 yards sack!

*good play design-poor execution

Griffin had DeSean on a deep crosser moving from right to left and didn't see it or didn't pull the trigger*

(6) Empty (1)                                           (pass #4)

Reed wide Left DeSean slot Left--WR screen to DeSean

No (OL) blocked DeSean's DB minimal gain on 3rd and 13

SERIES 3

(7) Pistol (11 Bunch right)                         (run #3)

Outside zone Right----6 yard gain

(8) Singleback (21 double TE left)           /

botched snap-------1 yard gain

(9) Gun (11 trips left, Reed wide right)             (pass #5)

Verticals concept w/ 2 WR Go, slot runs a cross, Reed runs comeback on backside

Scramble incomplete--no gain

SERIES 4

(10) Pistol ACE (21) TE motion right to left        (pass #6)

Bootleg Left--fake outside zone Right

Quick pass in flat to Reed-------5 yard gain

Don't ask me because they did exactly what I wanted them to do to open the game last week and it didn't work at all :)

One thing I don't ever want to see again is a straight draw to Morris out of shotgun on 3rd and a yard or less. That seems to go strictly against the strengths of both our OL and Morris. They are both more effective when getting a head of steam going which is why our stretch runs are generally so effective. So many coaches over-think third and short, IMO. And Jay did just that last week.

I don't think the opening script (~10) was that bad. I think they Jay and Forester underestimated how much Watt would dominate our OL without constant double team attention.

That run you call a draw, wasn't supposed to be a draw it only looked like that because Watt lined up over Chester and dump trucked him 2 yards into the backfield.

I don't think the opening script (~10) was that bad. I think they Jay and Forester underestimated how much Watt would dominate our OL without constant double team attention.

That run you call a draw, wasn't supposed to be a draw it only looked like that because Watt lined up over Chester and dump trucked him 2 yards into the backfield.

But it was shotgun formation, correct? Makes no sense to me. When you need three feet for a first down, I am not a fan of purposely starting the play that far back. It's an easy read for the defense. If you are going to go gun in that situation I'd just as soon take a shot over the top to take advantage of the defense crowding the line of scrimmage. If your goal of the play is simply to gain the yards necessary to move the chains, then just line up and do what you do well. Over-thinking.

And I was saying I LIKED the opening script, save that play. It just didn't work very well.

But it was shotgun formation, correct? Makes no sense to me. When you need three feet for a first down, I am not a fan of purposely starting the play that far back. It's an easy read for the defense. If you are going to go gun in that situation I'd just as soon take a shot over the top to take advantage of the defense crowding the line of scrimmage. If your goal of the play is simply to gain the yards necessary to move the chains, then just line up and do what you do well. Over-thinking.

Pistol not Shotgun. Might seem like a small difference but its not. There is huge difference between Pistol and Shotgun

One of the benefits of Pistol is provides the same ability to run downhill as standard I-Form.

The RB is at the same depth and there is a FB in front of him to lead block.

As far as throwing deep on 3rd and 1. I'm 100% against it.

Not sure why you think that would be an easier read for the defense then any other play?

They used the same formation that is the bulk of our running game, except they ran inside instead of outside zone.

They only problem with the play was they left Watt to be blocked by 1-on-1 by Chester and that was a complete failure.

For reference. Look at our highlights from 2006 vs The Texans.  Look at how many of the passes were short screen passes, hitch passes, passes in the flat etc etc.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tTu8IUiOi6M

It's about execution.

And to think, remember how much we used to complain about the O-line under Gibbs 2.0?  They are THE HOGS compared to the current O-line.

The Jags play with their DEs quite wide but will stunt them inside. I'm also going to assume they don't play press like they did to the Eagles but play more cover 3 with cushions like we saw from the Texans.

I want to establish the run, use play action to slow the pass rush with some boots off that to again help pass pro. I'd probably give RGIII the Ok to go to an automatic hitch if we see any 9 yard cushions.

1. (21) I formation left. Inside zone left.

2. (11) Pistol right.Y motion outside zone left.

3. (11) Quick tempo. Pistol right - bubble screen to Roberts right slot.

4. (21) I formation right. Outside zone left, play boot right deep cross Jackson (L to R), TE release right flat. High low read.

5. (21) Pistol right. Outside zone right.

6. (22) Ace right. Inside zone left.

7. (22) Ace left. Hitch to Garçon with skinny post backside to Jackson.

8. (11) Pistol left. Outside zne left.

9. (11) Pistol right. Play action outside zone right, 3 verticals.

10. (21) Pistol left. Quick hitch to Jackson.

The opening script, unfortunately failed.  It was a mishmash of things that went wrong. Watt blow ups, bobbled snap, too quick to turn to the pass, perhaps.  

Early in the game 2nd and 1, how we are built, we have to run it. As much as I would love to see us use the opportunity to take a deep shot, we... suck. We are 0-9. We need first downs. Deep opportunities will present themselves later. Be patient.   If he wants to pass 2nd and 1, try and sell PA. Robert is very good at selling it; not all QBs sell it well. Pass from Read Option like Seattle did.   

KISS - keep it simple and use RG3 to his strengths. Until our offense evolves, Gruden finds his feet, and creates our identity. And then use defenses scheming to stop that identity, to open up other aspects of our offense. All to mask our OL's weaknesses, of course.

Let's run it.  If the OL is the key to a team winning, we need to run the ball a ton early, for that is all our OL can consistently do well. This is the Mike Shanahan offense, we need to run the ball to do anything.

My opening 3 plays for Sunday:

Zone stretch right

zone stretch left

Late Play Action off zone stretch right, deep to DJax for the win.  

In general, make defenses run sideline to sideline on our run AND pass plays. Get those fat DL tired out, and as a priority, do not exacerbate the weakness of our team, the OLs ability to drop back pass block. It's that simple. 

Move Robert around, roll the pocket to the right, his fav place to move. Be deceptive, and try screens. One of these years we will be able to run screens, so let's try this year. Maybe the fake HB screen right / TE screen left.

Its just seems dumb to make RG3 stand firm in the pocket to start games now, for there is no pocket. That derails our offense more than anything. 

Philosophically, I'm torn on how to approach an opening script for this team.

Depending on how the Griffin and team "feel" would have a lot to do with how I called the opening.

If they're confident then I would be more aggressive early. If they need to find/build confidence I would focus on efficiency.

I watched some (not a lot) of the Jags game and saw #27 Will Blackmon as someone I would target in their secondary.

Also, they're starting SS Cyprien is going to be out this game so his back-up would also be a target.

Looking at our own game last week. I thought our best personnel grouping for passing was 11 personnel pistol and spread. We seemed to do well running from any personnel grouping. My opening script would limit the groupings that and try to run everything from the same looks.

Also, I was dissappointed by the lack of creativity. I feel like in this league of innovation our gameplan wasn't especially creative.

It was imho very traditional WCO, which I don't mind provided there is high level of execution. And I can't remember which coach said this but ~'in critcal times think of players not plays'. So another aim in opening script would be to find a creative way to get the ball to DeSean Jackson early.

Here's my openers...with a big assist to SkinsInsite

(1) 11- Pistol PA Slot Screen

Dob2LUAK.gif

(2) 11-Pistol Zone Right

lhwB9AN.gif

(3) 11 Instead of Shotgun in the gif below: Pistol RB Screen

r18az4rF.gif

(4) 1 (4 WR 1 TE) Empty- WR Screen

ItWDsaWn.gif

(5) 1 Empty-Vertical Concept with Fake WR screen quick pump fake

b99paDEE.gif

(6) 11 Pistol Outside Zone (to short side of field)

Well I can so for #1 on the list, if Robert keeps the ball a second longer, look at how open Jackson (#11) got on his slant route once the defenders bit on the run fake.

Now, being Week 1, a lot of times the first set of plays are a script, so that play could have been called as a screen all the way just to try and get some rhythm going, but if not and Robert made the call on his own to throw the screen, I think there was potential there for a much bigger play with Jackson, and that is one isolated play where he definitely had time to throw because the defense bit on the run fake. 

I don't recall a lot of PA in week 1.

Anyone have an idea of how much we ran it?

Play action clearly still works. I contend teams that are expected to run, play action can work without the long slow painful process of establishing the run, which is not even guaranteed to work every week. Go PA on the first play, since even Vegas props say the first play of any game is often a run.

I think that pistol play action has to be used much more to slow teams down. They are playing the ball RG3 far too aggressively, and are ripe to be burned.

The Jags play with their DEs quite wide but will stunt them inside. I'm also going to assume they don't play press like they did to the Eagles but play more cover 3 with cushions like we saw from the Texans.

I want to establish the run, use play action to slow the pass rush with some boots off that to again help pass pro. I'd probably give RGIII the Ok to go to an automatic hitch if we see any 9 yard cushions.

I like your script. You favor base personnel more then me though.

I worry about the boots, but maybe against 43 there is less worry about the OLB providing pressures.

I do like the automatic hitch against off coverage.

Love this play call early in the script, I would have a verts concept in my script too.

I do like the automatic hitch against off coverage.

Love this play call early in the script, I would have a verts concept in my script too.

+1 on the auto hitch vs a soft corner. Go to it until they adjust. Maybe work the pump fake on it when the corner is dreaming of a pick 6.

I want Gruden to attack the weaknesses of the defense and if none are available, use the strengths of the offense. Test any backups pressed into starting duty.

DG, what is the correct name of the play call where RG3 runs wide and hands off to the back at the last possible moment? I have been calling it Zone Stretch Run. Is that accurate, or maybe its called Outside Zone?  Morris always seems to end up near the sideline and he barrels downfield.

I like your script. You favor base personnel more then me though.I worry about the boots, but maybe against 43 there is less worry about the OLB providing pressures.I do like the automatic hitch against off coverage.Love this play call early in the script, I would have a verts concept in my script too.9. (11) Pistol right. Play action outside zone right, 3 verticals.

On the boots that's were the press box comes in - if in the early run plays we see the DE or an OLB sits backside waiting for a boot rather than crashing you adjust that play call.

On the personnel I want a run threat almost every down but I could have mixed in a look or two with 4 wides and no TE. (I used to have a separate play list for 3rd and long and 3rd and short and a separate red zone package so on 3rd and long you could see more spread looks especially with Reed out).

Gameplan?

Joe Frazier - Left Hook, on GO.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - noted philosopher Mike Tyson.

If Jags play press man I'd like to see 3-4 WR running deeper routes. Don't force passes. RGIII will have lots of room to run.

Wait....don't crucify me yet.....under the stipulation that he is to avoid hits. Get out of bounds or slide.

I think there will be room for Morris and Helu to get big chunks of yards if they can get to the 2nd level.

Overall, my game plan would be:

1. Spread the Jags out with formations. Use motion for pre-snap reads (man vs. zone.)

2. If zone, run Morris/Helu.

3. If man, play action pass looking for matchups to exploit down the field. If nothing there, dump it off to Morris/Helu or take off running for open space.

RGIII needs to "manage the game" there is no need to hit homerun on every swing. 

HTTR

BTW....Looking at play #5 in DG's post #15 gives me lots of hope for RGIII. I think this is a play he executed very well.

He gets the ball out right at the back of his drop, nice touch pass over SAF, and drops it right on target to a TE running down the middle. If not for the fumble, I think we'd be talking about this play much (maybe even ESPN might say something good about RGIII). This may have been his best throw of the day.

Jordan Reed is out but Niles Paul adds an element of speed to that position. This might be a matchup advantage against Jags backup SAF with Cyprien out.

Archived