Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That was an awesome play by Wade. The announcers went on to talk about how technically, the catcher was blocking the plate and it could have been called, but then they said it's never called, which makes it a dumb rule to me. Either it's a rule or not. That's the kind of thing that can lead to unnecessary controversy. It may be my imagination, but it seems like a lot of teams that I root for get screwed by calls open to interpretation like that. I had a feeling Maryland would win when I saw that happen. You could see Bloom was starting to struggle a little in the 6th too, with a little help from a error from the second baseman . I'm not surprised they got to him in the 7th. There was also a great barehanded grab and throw to first by the third baseman earlier in the game. He also had an error early on. Three errors didn't really cost them. They are a scrappy team. 

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 2

Home from #1 job just in time to turn on ESPNU and see the bases loaded and Lamonte Wade with the 2 RBI double. Nice! Terps 2-0 going into the 6th. I love it when my viewership doesn't summon all the bad mojo in the universe and negatively affect who I'm pulling for. 

Ha! They showed a pic of the Maryland and UVA teams flying together on the same plane for this because some scrambling had to occur with travel plans due to the Terps beating UCLA and UVA beating USC. Terps on one side of the plane, Cavs on the other. Kinda awkward.

Edit: Gah! Disaster. Too late to switch. Sorry.

Edit: BS call in the 8th. Clearly hit by pitch. Ump decides batter didn't try hard enough to get out of the way. Would have been two on, no outs. Announcers respectfully repeat that the ump was wrong. Clear as day. WTF and **** that ****!

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

Tough loss. UVA had some good at bats to keep the pressure on. Wade can't do everything, but he would have continued his story book tournament if he makes that amazing catch to save the game. As far as the HBP in the 8th, that was a terrible call. But if I remember correctly, MD had a reputation last year of getting hit by a lot of pitches. Umpires know that and on plays like that, the reputation plays into their decision. In that case, they blew it because there is nothing he could have done to get out of the way there.

They were going to have to win 2 games anyway. It doesn't matter in which order they do it.

• Like 2

UMD baseball coach should be fired after that game. Terrible bullpen management.

Reliever has thrown 102 pitches coming into that bottom of the 9th. A reliever. Bring in someone fresh that will throw strikes, and let the shadows work for him.

Then he goes to the closer who blew the game yesterday, with bases loaded no outs.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Yeah, it was a great season for MD. In fact, the season was historical. The first time since 70-71 they were in back to back tournaments. Not to mention, they went to the super regional in both years. They set another record for total wins. Today and yesterday just sucked. But no one talked about MD baseball, other than saying they suck, before last year. I'm glad they are something to watch again. Hopefully they keep it going and become a regular post season team.

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Elite-11-Workout-One-247Sports-Top-Performers-37629926

Elite 11 Semifinals Workout One: Top Performers

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Thirty of the top quarterbacks in the country have convened for the Elite 11 Semifinals on the practice fields of USC. The work has barely even begun but the first of three workouts is in the books and already some leaders are emerging.

As is always the case, the quarterbacks were hot out of the gates, some overthrowing, some pressing but all of them started to look like they belonged over the course of the 2 hour morning session. Below we give you our top 11 performers strictly from our perspective through the first session of work

247Sport Top 11

1. Feleipe Franks (LSU commit) – Franks has the best frame of any quarterback in attendance with length and broad shoulders. While he can be stiff at times, he's extremely athletic and has a huge arm. He made some of the day's best individual throws.

2. Dwayne Haskins (Maryland commit) – Haskins was extremely consistent and just as he's shown on film, there may not be a better pure thrower in the class. The ball jumps out of his hand.

3. Brandon Peters (Michigan commit) – A lot of quarterbacks look mechanical or tight when trying to accomplish some of the movements the Elite 11 staff asks of them. Not Peters. Everything is fluid, smooth and easy. He was consistent and I loved the way he delivers the football.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Maryland WR Juwann Winfree Suspended Indefinitely

Maryland wide receiver Juwann Winfree has been suspended indefinitely for violation of the student code of conduct, according to a release by the athletic department Monday afternoon.

Winfree was also suspended for the final two regular season games last year because of a violation of the student code of conduct.

Winfree, a highly touted 6-foot-2 rising sophomore from New Jersey, appeared in eight games as a true freshman. He had 11 receptions for 158 yards and two touchdowns. The former four-star recruit, one of Randy Edsall's most promising young players was expected to make a major leap this offseason and compete for starting wide receiver spots vacated by Deon Long, Stefon Diggs and Marcus Leak.

The Terps' wide receiving core -- originally viewed as a strength, even after losing two players to the NFL Draft -- has taken significant hits over the past 10 days with the announcement of Leak's transfer and Winfree's suspension.

Levern Jacobs, who missed all of last season due to his own suspension, is expected to be the team's No. 1 option. He'll be joined by his brother Taivon Jacobs, who suffered a season-ending injury in the season-opener last year, along with Amba Etta-Tawo, Will Ulmer, Marcus Culmer, DeAndre Lane and D.J. Moore.

I'm curious about about the effect of the men's rules changes next season. Seems to me like less timeouts is a bit of a disadvantage for a younger team. It's going to be up to the coaches to adapt and have their teams well prepared for situations they normally would be able to manage on the fly with more timeouts. I don't think the quicker shot clock will have much of a negative effect.

--

Maryland will be playing Princeton in Baltimore this year. Last time the Terps played the Tigers, they won a Natty http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/6/8/8748129/maryland-basketball-will-host-princeton-in-baltimore-on-december-19th 

Timeouts aren't an issue. There are so many TV timeouts, they aren't needed as much as they used to be. There are more opportunities for players to rest and coaches to draw up plays now.

The thing I wish they would get rid of is allowing coaches a free timeout when a guy fouls out. That's definitely wasted time.

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/for-maryland-athletics-a-big-first-year-in-the-big-ten/2015/06/12/20db2680-0f17-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html?postshare=5941434141552411

For Maryland athletics, a big first year in the Big Ten

After an exhausting and sometimes contentious split from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson reflected on the school’s first year in the Big Ten earlier this week with no small measure of pride.

“One of the things people talked about was history and tradition,” Anderson said. “Well, our tradition was that we won nearly 200 conference championships in the ACC, and so going into the Big Ten that was our mind-set from the very beginning, to compete for conference and national championships.”

It was a transformative year for Maryland athletics, which will celebrate its first anniversary in the Big Ten on July 1. After an 18-month integration process, which began in November 2012 when the school controversially defied tradition in leaving the ACC, the school can celebrate wide success on its new playing fields.

Terrapins teams won seven Big Ten championships, tied for the most in the conference. Maryland was one of two Big Ten schools to clinch NCAA postseason berths in footballmen’s and women’s basketball and baseball. Three teams advanced to the Final Four of their respective NCAA tournaments, and women’s lacrosse defended its national championship. Attendance and revenue from ticket sales increased in several sports.

Happy to pile on since my sentiments are well documented.  I was thrilled about the rumors of a Big 10 move for a year before it happened, and thrilled when it was announced.  As with the old BCS, "tradition" in itself was a dumb reason to maintain an unsatisfying status quo.

Jumping to the Big 10 was a great idea, but there are always boo birds who focus on the risks while ignoring the benefits.  Just have to push through and let the results speak for themselves.