Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Offseason/Mini Camp tweets (whatnot & glutton free) - 6/17/14

Chris Samuels is here at #Redskins Park, watching rookie minicamp. #RedskinsTalk

Redskins fans would love to see how active Head Coach Jay Gruden and OC Sean McVay are practice. Running around, throwing passes

Washington Redskins:

Gruden: "We had a good four practices ... Got to see our draft picks for the first time, and we're excited about what they did."

Gruden on OG Spencer Long: "He did a great job. From the first through fourth practice... He's going to be competitive right away."

Jay gruden on Moses: "he has a ways to go... But happy with his progress"

Gruden on WR Ryan Grant "plays like a 10-year veteran already." Said they can move him around inside and outside.

Gruden on K Zach Hocker: "High hopes for him. He's going to come in and compete. ... We're going to have competition at every position."

Jay Gruden's Rookie Mini-Camp Presser http://t.co/i3SGn4zVgP

Gruden loves Murphy's variety of moves. Likes that he can still fill out and get bigger

Gruden said it will take seastrunk time to develop. Needs to adjust to running routes, picking up blitzes

Gruden on practice approach: "I want to make sure the energy level is high out there and the guys are enjoying doing what they're doing."

Gruden on having fun throwing a few passes in practice: "I did throw some nice passes." Former QB, of course.

Gruden on Cody Hoffman: likes size; good natural hands. Does not have the speed. Says likes what he saw from him -- and other wr's

Gruden noted how aggressive CB Bashaud Breeland is. Offensive coaches want a penalty, he joked. Defensive coaches call it effective.

Gruden on confidence in his staff: "You've gotta have faith in the people around you. And I do. I feel like I hired a great staff."

Gruden said the key to BYU WR Cody Hoffman making the roster will be proving he can contribute on special teams. #RedskinsTalk

Gruden: What we did in free agency, we’re not necessarily having to draft guys to play 70 snaps a game right away. They can learn & develop.

Chris Russell:

Notes from PM prac: Two consecutive plays - Trent Murphy gave Morgan Moses a two hand stun punch off the snap. Rocked him back. Beat him....

One play after the drop I saw, Grant made a hell of an adjustment on a catch in drills. Ball well behind him. Coaches were praising him big.

ESPN980:

Next play, Trent Murphy beat TE Ted Bolser to the inside with a inside swim move very easily. Blew up a run. Outstanding sequence.#Redskins

Losing Bolser wouldn't bother me much although there were some more established players we probably should have picked over him... but hey, it was the 7th round

Bolser might stick around simply for his special teams ability

Grant sounds like a hit so far though

Pretty much everything I've heard about Bolser so far has been negative... Dropping passes and missing blocks. I don't think his promise on special teams will be enough to get him a roster spot; still early though.

To be fair, it's his first practice and Murphy destroyed every tight end he played against, including Troy Niklas, who he wrecked the most.

Pretty much everything I've heard about Bolser so far has been negative... Dropping passes and missing blocks. I don't think his promise on special teams will be enough to get him a roster spot; still early though.

Yea, its not looking good for him, probably scoop another TE when teams cut udfas and tryout guys. Hope he shows something worth keeping him around for.

To be fair, it's his first practice and Murphy destroyed every tight end he played against, including Troy Niklas, who he wrecked the most.

Gruden said this has been there 4th practice?

Washington Redskins @Redskins 19m

SNEAK PEEK: The #SkinsDraft class unwinds after rookie minicamp. Check out the full shot in the #Redskins Yearbook! pic.twitter.com/XvqFC0mp5I

Bn3mCyUCIAAhUMd.jpg

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 38m

No offense to anyone, but really have a hard time seeing anything super positive out of Ted Bolser today. Got rocked on blocks. Four drops.

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 41m

Good battle between Ryan Grant and Bashaud Breeland. Grant easily beat him to the inside, Breeland recovered & broke up pass but DPI likely.

#Redskins are going to sign the CB we've mentioned several times Courtney Bridget from Hampton.

Bridget has not signed yet. He will, pending physical. Count me in on a 6'3" CB who can close & tackle. Wrote this http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=18171 

That Bridget kid must be real interesting if they let Gumbs go.

And I agree with that Hazard tweet about Bashaud, I watched a little snippet interview of him after the mini-camp and he seems like a really high energy guy. I'd say he's got some... swag.

Some more on Bridget: https://twitter.com/DontThrowAt21_

From his twitter, he seems like a really good dude.

ESPN 980 @ESPNRadio980 1h

Redskins Rookie Report by Chris Russell

**Trent Murphy: The 2nd round pick had an interesting day, lined up mostly at the left outside linebacker position (Ryan Kerrigan's main spot) in the morning practice.

Murphy jolted rookie tight end Ted Bolser with a two hand punch to the chest and easily beat him to get pressure on one play.

Murphy was locked up a couple of times by third-round pick Morgan Moses who got the best of him a few times, although I wonder if that's because Murphy dipped his head and upper-body too low, losing leverage and strength.

Murphy played a play-action boot right correctly and measured up the quarterback within his sights. Murphy outstretched his arms and hands, and somehow did not knock the pass down, although it was incomplete. Just after the player outside linebackers/pass rush coach Brian Baker worked with Murphy on the proper technique for his hands on that particular play.

I did see Murphy on one rush in a four-point stance and flipped to the right side of the formation.

After the practice session once again, Baker met with Murphy for a longer period of time to help his adjustment.

In the afternoon practice, on consecutive plays, Murphy gave a two-handed stun punch to Morgan Moses that jolted the big right tackle who was easily beaten by Murphy. On the very next play, Murphy drove inside of Bolser (notice a theme) and blew up a run play.

**Morgan Moses: As mentioned, he got the best of Murphy twice in one-on-one rush situations that I paid close attention too.

It seems that he lunges and gets off balance way too easily, and that could be because of his longer arms. Even when he held off Murphy, it was far from clean technique wise.

Just before that session, I saw Moses get obliterated by a player on a try-out, Michael Cole from Maine. Cole went right around Moses to Morgan's right with a little dip and Moses was no match. Clearly, this can happen on any play against anybody but it was interesting to see how he handled Murphy but struggled in this particular match-up.

On a couple of outside zone runs to the left tackle side, Moses looked around for somebody to block in the zone blocking scheme and appeared to somewhat give up on the play. I note this because you can't ever stop, with players cutting back against the grain, you never know where one push or block might spring a huge play.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Moses in the afternoon session, but getting rocked as he did by Murphy was a bit alarming because when he does struggle - it tends to come from being out of whack in his technique. This was fun to watch Murphy jolt a much bigger man so noticeably.

***Spencer Long: I didn't get to see much of the burly offensive guard from Nebraska. He said after the practice that he surgically repaired knee (PCL/MCL) felt great and he had no issues at all. John Keim of ESPN.com and ESPN 980 noted a few observations about Long that he saw.

**Bashaud Breeland: The fourth round pick from Clemson was the draft pick and individual player that impressed me the most if I had to pick one. Breeland is physical, feisty and aggressive. Sure, he grabs his opponents jersey too much and he did it several times where he could absolutely get flagged, but he had no fear.

On the first 7-on-7 play of the first session, Breeland got a strong jam which initially stunned the receiver, but Breeland did not break up the short passing attempt. Still I like the strength and punch.

On another play, Breeland went up the sideline on a long overthrow from Tommy Rees. The play had virtually no chance as Breeland had perfect inside coverage with his head turned around to track the ball. He didn't grab or clutch. He glided with his man at least 35 yards or so down the field.

Breeland was beat on a terrific effort and catch late in the practice session after he very clearly grabbed and tugged on his target's shoulder. Still, it took a super human effort and great ball placement/catch for the play to be successful.

Breeland was pulling and tugging at jerseys again in the afternoon session getting beat by a tryout wide receiver for a nice catch. Breeland pounded the turf in frustration. Breeland also was beat initially by Ryan Grant on a great inside cut, but he quickly recovered. Breeland went over the back of Grant for a tomahawk chop breakup that probably was defensive pass interference, but I sure would love another look at it to be certain. It was a bang-bang play, and again, Breeland promises to be right up in the grill of anybody that goes against him. He'll draw some penalties, but he will do plenty of good things that will make you love him. His game is man-press and in-your-face.

I also liked how Breeland busted it on special teams punt coverage. On one play, he was the gunner and ran from the right side all the way to the far left sideline on a diagonal cross to get in position to make the play. Effort on special teams was an issue at times last year.

***Ryan Grant is going to be a lot better than some people think. I didn't see him do anything in the morning practice of note, but in the afternoon session, he stood out. He had a drop early that I saw, but then made a beautiful adjustment on a terrible throw from one of the quarterbacks (who were not very good). The catch was a twisting snare completely behind where Grant was going, earned the Tulane product plenty of on-field praise from the coaches.

We mentioned the battle with Breeland that he clearly won at least one phase of, but the highlight of the afternoon was Grant running a vertical route to about ten yards. He motioned to the post, stuck his foot in the dirt and broke to his right and the sideline so quickly that the defensive back completely fell down. Grant caught another off-target ball to complete the play. It was a thing of beauty.

I also saw Grant busting it on special teams punt coverage, drawing Jay Gruden to yell out "Yeah, Ryan Grant, yeah!" Gruden said he "plays like a 10-year veteran already."

***Lache Seastrunk: I was told by a few of my media friends that he dropped a pass in one drill early in practice. I didn't see it, but clearly that is one way Seastrunk can really shine. Seastrunk did impress me on one particular run which appeared to be an inside zone that he planted and cut to his left to avoid traffic. You could see the lateral speed and explosive athleticism as Seastrunk raced to the sideline and turned the corner.

Perhaps he bounces too much to the outside, but with his frame, he really shouldn't try to be a battering ram. His greatest attribute is his speed and explosive ability.

Seastrunk has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder based on his interview on ESPN 980 earlier this week, and a couple of minutes with him earlier today. That's OK, as long as he uses it positively.

**Ted Bolser:  I saw him drop three passes in different drills. It can happen, but when you are behind Jordan Reed, Logan Paulsen and Niles Paul to begin with - you have to catch everything.

He did make  a couple of nice catches after those early drops, but along with getting stun punched by Murphy on one blocking assignment, it is safe to say that Bolser had a tough session.

Late in the practice, he made a nice catch and held on while getting lassoed by former Washington Huskies defensive back, Sean Parker who we profiled earlier this week.

Another big drop in the afternoon practice while climbing the ladder over the middle of the field, and the lack of any block against Murphy (mentioned above) completed a tough day for Bolser.

**Zach Hocker : Unofficially, the rookie place kicker was five-of-six on field goals, missing from 50-yards out indoors in the morning practice session. He came back and nailed a 50-yard kick right after, straight down the middle with ease.

Hocker had no issue with a couple of practice kick-off attempts as he booted one into the deep middle of the end zone, and one completely thru the end zone. That's his best strength and Kai Forbath's area of weakness. Something to keep a close eye on.

Archived