Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of CBO report discussion?

nonniey

This is not a CBO report thread but a thread on the lack of discussion on this forum of the biggest political story of the week on a forum that is primarily used for political stories.  Even the Obamacare thread wasn't used to discuss this.  Is it because bad news for the left is rarely brought up due to the limited number of conservatives here or is it just political story burn out? 

To me the biggest part of this story is how people interpret the data.

2mil less in the labor market is very different from 2 mil jobs lost.  I assume our workforce looking for jobs will like hearing 2 mil less looking for the same jobs they are looking to get. 

For parents, does this mean one can leave the workforce to raise a kid, going back to the old "traditional family" unit?

The real question is who makes up the 2 mil people, why do they drop out, and will they be replaced?  Are we at a point where we have a labor shortage these 2 mil would have filled?  Are we simply trading which people are out of the labor market or creating new ones?  If we are adding to it, will the benefits of having insurance not tied to the job outweigh the drag on the economy by allowing greater employment mobility?

The problem is both sides hijack the 2 mil number without ever admitting little is known about what it will mean.

What bad news for the left?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/05/cbo-director-obamacare_n_4732746.html

One day after multiple media outlets misinterpreted a CBO report on Obamacare, Elmendorf clarified the CBO's position during the hearing. The federal agency, Elmendorf said, had found Obamacare “spurs employment and would reduce unemployment over the next few years."

“When you boost demand for labor in this kind of economy, you actually reduce the unemployment rate, because those people who are looking for work can find more work," Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) asked Elmendorf.

“Yes, that’s right,” Elmendorf responded.

Yeah, I don't see it as bad news for the left, and I don't consider myself liberal and am best pretty neutral on the ACA.

The CBO is still predicting it to be a deficet reducing bill in totality, and they aren't predicting long term much affect on jobs availible (i.el labor demand).

Those were the two big arguments put forward by the right, correct: that it would cost a bunch of money, and that it will kill jobs.

By my recollection and understanding, the right is a big 0-2 based on the CBO projections.

If there was some big argument about it affecting the incentive of low income/low skill workers/older workers to look for work, I missed it.

If I had started a thread on the CBO report, it would have been entitled something like Republicans still wrong on ACA.

This is not a CBO report thread but a thread on the lack of discussion on this forum of the biggest political story of the week on a forum that is primarily used for political stories.  Even the Obamacare thread wasn't used to discuss this.  Is it because bad news for the left is rarely brought up due to the limited number of conservatives here or is it just political story burn out? 

I think it's because all the people who would attempt to use the CBO's report to speak about the horrors of health insurance;  are already on record saying the CBO doesn't know what they are talking about..  So they are hesitant either honestly, or just intellectually to use this new CBO report to their favor..

I mean they've been burned by such "claims" attributed to the CBO before.

I think it's because all the people who would attempt to use the CBO's report to speak about the horrors of health insurance;  are already on record saying the CBO doesn't know what they are talking about..  So they are hesitant either honestly, or just intellectually to use this new CBO report to their favor..

I mean they've been burned by such "claims" attributed to the CBO before.

When has that ever stopped anyone in this debate - heck in any political debate?

The costs are staying the same...  Obamacare saves us lots of cash over the next 10 years,, and that goes up as time goes by...

Nothing has changed...  Obamacare is going to save trillions for the consumers, and trillions for the government...

The CBO report says workers who now have access to affordable healthcare will choose to work 1-2% fewer hours in total by 2027...

So folks who are working more than one job or more than 8 hours a day,   Some will choose to work a few fewer hours because they have access to affordable healthcare... 

from the report.

"The ACA will reduce the total number of hours worked, on net, by about 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent during the period from 2017 to 2024, almost entirely because workers will choose to supply less labor -- given the new taxes and other incentives they will face and the financial benefits some will receive."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-the-cbo-report-on-obamacare-actually-says-about-jobs/

When has that ever stopped anyone in this debate - heck in any political debate?

OK,   point taken.

The costs are staying the same...  Obamacare saves us lots of cash over the next 10 years,, and that goes up as time goes by...

Nothing has changed...  Obamacare is going to save trillions for the consumers, and trillions for the government...

The CBO report says workers who now have access to affordable healthcare will choose to work 1-2% fewer hours in total by 2027...

So folks who are working more than one job or more than 8 hours a day,   Some will choose to work a few fewer hours because they have access to affordable healthcare... 

from the report.

OK,   point taken.

And this is what is being twisted and manipulated by the right to say millions of jobs will be lost (as opposed to people working less because they dont have to)

And this is what is being twisted and manipulated by the right to say millions of jobs will be lost (as opposed to people working less because they dont have to)

Shockingly enough, noniney hasn't returned to this thread.  I guess after getting his "liberal bias" shot in, his work was done.   :)

Archived