Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Bog: The Gibbs Coaching Search

SkinsHokieFan

I wonder whether Snyder has a deep seated insecurity that prevents him from hiring top level executive talent. He seems to have trouble with strong-willed leaders not named Daniel Snyder.

Everyone on this board knew Dan Snyder in high school

Just think of that guy and you know why Dan Snyder does things that he does 

Here he is:

Dan-Snyder-High-School-Yearbook-Photo.jp

Maybe he should go ahead and finish growing out that mustache he appears to have started back then.

I wonder whether Snyder has a deep seated insecurity that prevents him from hiring top level executive talent. He seems to have trouble with strong-willed leaders not named Daniel Snyder.

He never had to do it before. The rise of Snyder Communications is completely insane. I've looked at that company for years and never really figured out how he sold it for as much as he did. It was this thing that he seemed to have literally started in his bedroom, got some big-time sugar daddies behind, and then cashed out on almost immediately.

I didn't know Dan Snyder in high school. The guys who seem to have been Dan Snyder types could never have gotten Zuckerman to invest so much in them at such an early age. By that, I mean, he is not Bill Gates or Mark Cuban or Paul Allen. He didn't drop out of college because he was sitting on a billion dollar tech idea. Snyder dropped out of college because he wanted to be a travel agent. He became a billionaire apparently by putting up billboards in office lobbies. And then he bought the Redskins.

And this all somehow happened in about 7 years.

I don't really understand Snyder or his success.

I'm not sure why Allen's name is getting dragged into the "bad executive" pile, when he has been an executive for a long time for two NFL teams.  As for being on the street, I remember people here wanting Dan to hire Ron Wolf for the longest time, even tho he hadn't worked for a few years.

I guess I understand the whole, "He's not a hot young executive from a successful franchise", but that doesn't always work out for teams either.

The Squire does seem fortunate that he had Beathard and Gibbs.  He tried to have lightning strike twice with Casserly and Norv, and neither were as good as their predecessors.  Building a winning organization doesn't seem to be all that simple.

He never had to do it before. The rise of Snyder Communications is completely insane. I've looked at that company for years and never really figured out how he sold it for as much as he did. It was this thing that he seemed to have literally started in his bedroom, got some big-time sugar daddies behind, and then cashed out on almost immediately.

I didn't know Dan Snyder in high school. The guys who seem to have been Dan Snyder types could never have gotten Zuckerman to invest so much in them at such an early age. By that, I mean, he is not Bill Gates or Mark Cuban or Paul Allen. He didn't drop out of college because he was sitting on a billion dollar tech idea. Snyder dropped out of college because he wanted to be a travel agent. He became a billionaire apparently by putting up billboards in office lobbies. And then he bought the Redskins.

And this all somehow happened in about 7 years.

I don't really understand Snyder or his success.

I guess more so the insecurity aspect. 

I do agree with you, I have no idea how the hell Snyder Communications did what it did in the 1990s, except for the fact it was the 1990s and every stupid idea was getting funded.

He just managed to cash out in July 1999

Snyder seems very socially awkward which is a bit of an abberation for a pro sports owner. He doesn't come as as funny or gregarious or particularly warm. He may very well be all of those things, but his persona to me is that of a nervous and serious guy. As much as he gets labeled a "meddler" or jock sniffer, I don't think he likes the camera very much at all. I don't think he seeks out or enjoys the spotlight.

And I actually don't think he really wants to call the shots either. What I think he does want is to be involved--- be one of the guys. I think he probably enjoys the camaraderie of the behind the scenes stuff and likes rubbing elbows with coaches, players, etc. Seems that many of you are speculating that he was sort of a geek growing up-- I have no idea, but if so that might explain some longing to hang with the jocks.

He is also a rarity in that he is a lifelong Redskins fan. That seems almost unprecedented to me. Mark Cuban for example is from Pittsburgh and probabaly never watched a Mavs game growing up. I know this sounds crazy, but IMO, Snyder hasn't run the Redskins as a business as much as he should. He runs it as a passion. And passion causes you to make rash decisions. I think he truly loves the Redskins and probably doesn't understand how all of his effort and money hasn't yielded results. I don't think he is counting his RG3 jersey profits and laughing from his tower down at the little people. I think he hurts just like we do--- probably more.

He also seems pretty stubborn and probably even a little defiant about how he runs things and his role.

I've never had the venom towards Dan that others have had because I think his heart is in the right place. But I also acknowledge that he is clearly a major part of the problem. After 15 years he can't not be. I own a business and if things didn't go well consistently for 15 years I might able to point the finger in various directions at various points, but that sample size is too large--- finger ends up pointing back at me. No doubt.

Luck is our best hope. It really is. Allen isn't great or overly inspiring IMO, but he isn't a bafoon either. Maybe he will stumble into some amazing coach who pushes the right buttons with rg3 and we get this rolling. If it gets rolling, I don't think Dan will mess it up. But we need some luck. At this point I think its clear that Snyder isn't going to lead us out of this on his own.

I'm not sure why Allen's name is getting dragged into the "bad executive" pile, when he has been an executive for a long time for two NFL teams. As for being on the street, I remember people here wanting Dan to hire Ron Wolf for the longest time, even tho he hadn't worked for a few years.

Allen was fired after running the Bucs (a premier team previously under McKay) into the ground. Gaines Adams, anyone? Wolfe retired as the winningest GM of the salary cap era.

There is no doubt that Snyder is a fan, first and foremost.  Course we get all that comes with it, with the good and the bad.

Allen was fired after running the Bucs (a premier team previously under McKay) into the ground. Gaines Adams, anyone? Wolfe retired as the winningest GM of the salary cap era.

The Bucs were no longer a premiere team by the time McKay was fired, given his last season the team was 5-11.  They were somewhat mediocre under Chucky and Allen, partially because of drafting as you say, but also because the Glazers didn't like to spend money on the team, which is why they continue to suck.

It is the number one thing that Corporate America struggles with. Guy or Gal cuts their teeth in sales and has rapid amounts of success... Usually because (a) right place, right time or ( b ) they are one hell of a salesperson and thrive off of closing the deal and winning the business

Then, said person gets promoted to management. Unfortunately, corporate America still does not realize that neither A nor B above qualifies anyone as an organizational leader, as candidates find out quickly that there is nothing glamorous about slogging thru PNL, setting budgets, interviewing and hiring candidates, conflict resolution, and policies and procedures.

Some managers cope by just ignoring all of the above and try to do their old job vicariously thru their employees (most common with sales managers). some others try to do it get frustrated and move on. and some others just end up going thru the motions and focus on what they need to do in order to get the next promotion. Snyder, being at the top of the organization, really only has one option from the above as an ineffective organizational leader (option 1). Which he's tried of course, and we've all seen.

Whether Snyder was opportunistic or a heck of a salesperson in his rise to success doesnt ultimately matter, as neither has qualified him to be an effective organizational leader. He started by micromanaging and doing the GM job through others, and when that failed miserably he ceded power to others. The problem is he keeps picking the wrong guys to cede power to. Again, this goes back to the monotony of organizational leadership. It sucks to interview dozens of candidates you don't know for the GM role. There is nothing glamorous or exciting in it. Much better to hire your raquetball or traveling buddy.

Snyders impulsiveness is legendary. If he is not going to be involved in running the organization he will need something else to keep him busy and to satisfy that craving he has for closing the next big deal and putting together the next big marketing pitch. Cooke satisfied his cravings with coke whores and parties.

In conclusion, Snyder needs an adreneline filled hobby. Maybe wing suits and charter planes or something.

Snyders impulsiveness is legendary. If he is not going to be involved in running the organization he will need something else to keep him busy and to satisfy that craving he has for closing the next big deal and putting together the next big marketing pitch. Cooke satisfied his cravings with coke whores and parties.

In conclusion, Snyder needs an adreneline filled hobby. Maybe wing suits and charter planes or something.

Maybe we can get him to buy the Atlanta Braves.  Then bring in Vinnie Cerrato as Braves' GM.

It is the number one thing that Corporate America struggles with. Guy or Gal cuts their teeth in sales and has rapid amounts of success... Usually because (a) right place, right time or ( b ) they are one hell of a salesperson and thrive off of closing the deal and winning the business

Then, said person gets promoted to management. Unfortunately, corporate America still does not realize that neither A nor B above qualifies anyone as an organizational leader, as candidates find out quickly that there is nothing glamorous about slogging thru PNL, setting budgets, interviewing and hiring candidates, conflict resolution, and policies and procedures.

Some managers cope by just ignoring all of the above and try to do their old job vicariously thru their employees (most common with sales managers). some others try to do it get frustrated and move on. and some others just end up going thru the motions and focus on what they need to do in order to get the next promotion. Snyder, being at the top of the organization, really only has one option from the above as an ineffective organizational leader (option 1). Which he's tried of course, and we've all seen.

Whether Snyder was opportunistic or a heck of a salesperson in his rise to success doesnt ultimately matter, as neither has qualified him to be an effective organizational leader. He started by micromanaging and doing the GM job through others, and when that failed miserably he ceded power to others. The problem is he keeps picking the wrong guys to cede power to. Again, this goes back to the monotony of organizational leadership. It sucks to interview dozens of candidates you don't know for the GM role. There is nothing glamorous or exciting in it. Much better to hire your raquetball or traveling buddy.

Is it wrong to come to the conclusion that Snyder is maybe kinda sorta bad at business? As SHF and I have discussed back and forth, there is no evidence that Snyder Communications was all that great a company. It got huge through acquisitions because Snyder had some deep-pocketed investors and then it got bought by a giant company as part of another acqisition at a time when every business in the country was involved in a merger and acquistion. I can't determine if any of the companies inside Snyder Communications ever actually did anything well or even still exist in any real way. The company that bought Snyder Communications went through a massive re-organization just a year later.

He has greatly increased the value of the Redskins, yes. But how hard is it to increase the value of an NFL franchise in a major, somewhat recession-proof market when you are utterly ruthless in exploiting every conceivable revenue stream? The Jaguars are worth $800 million after all.

I guess he made money on The Dick Clark Production Deal. But he did it in classic Snyder fashion. He took an existing property and ruthlessly exploited its biggest assets. (The lawsuit with the Hollywood Foreign Press over the Golden Globes is one of those cases where both sides should probably be forced to stand in front of a judge naked and apologize for existing).

Red Zebra is down to four radio stations.

Six Flags became a dumpster fire.

Johnny Rockets never really grew and was sold.

The deal with Tom Cruise really hasn't produced anything of value.

I mean, he makes money on these deals (well, not Six Flags). But it's hard to look at any of his assets over the years and say, "Wow....he really did something magical there." He likes to get involved with huge existing properties, inflate their value by any means necessary, and sell quickly.

Compare him to Mark Cuban who really is kind of a visionary in a lot of ways. Cuban has produced small, Oscar-nominated movies. He is in on the ground floor of the technology that is completely changing how scouts and teams evaluate NBA players. And Shark Tank is popular and kind of interesting. (Cuban does spout Ayn Rand Libertarian nonsense from time to time, but he doesn't really seem to follow that selfish approach in his business life. He seems to make money on stuff that may actually be beneficial to people).

One of the competitors I deal with day in and day out in my business uses large amounts of cash generated from other business to subsidize their aggressive growth strategy in my market. They are hemhoraging money but it doesn't matter because they are only in it for market penetration. Trying to sell against them sucks because they are market whores and will do whatever it takes to get the sale. No worries because they're being funded by profitable ventures elsewhere

Snyders empire is flipped... The Redskins have been the golden goose to fund impulsive forays into Six Flags etc. Does it matter of they are profitable? He knew he'd have cash flow from the Redskins so why not gamble with Six Flags. Lots of upside, no real downside. He knew that going in.

It is easy to see what he is doing, his goal is to have an entertainment empire, with theme parks, radio stations, restaurants, sports franchises, and movie production. So far, the only thing bearing fruit continues to be the sports franchise. His strategy of buying companies that are having trouble for great value, injecting capital into them and turning them around is straight from the Buffet Handbook. Unfortunately he has lacked the skills to turn any of them around. He's been left with finding creative ways to get money out of them and sell them.

So in a Malcolm Gladwellian twist, what we all assume to be the one given thing about Snyder is indeed wrong. That he is good at business.

What would actually benefit the product on the field would be for him to strike gold elsewhere, and focus his attention on that for a change. "And also owns the Redskins" would be a great thing to read in the bio of Daniel Snyder

It is easy to see what he is doing, his goal is to have an entertainment empire, with theme parks, radio stations, restaurants, sports franchises, and movie production. So far, the only thing bearing fruit continues to be the sports franchise. His strategy of buying companies that are having trouble for great value, injecting capital into them and turning them around is straight from the Buffet Handbook. Unfortunately he has lacked the skills to turn any of them around. He's been left with finding creative ways to get money out of them and sell them.

He lacks the skills because he is bad at finding executive talent. Mark Shapiro made his name at ESPN mainly by having ESPN not show sports. Snyder - for some reason - seems to think Shapiro is the only executive in the world. He was in charge of Six Flags. He was in charge of Dick Clark. He was a producer on Tom Cruise movies. And he is chairman of the board for Red Zebra.

The idea of finding underperforming companies and turning them around is solid. But the plan always becomes find an underperforming company and put Mark Shapiro in charge of it.

I don't know what else better demonstrates Snyder's lack of vision. And it makes the Cerrato relationship make sense.

It probably ties into what kleese said. Snyder is wildly successful but only comfortable with a handful of people. That makes him very different from nearly every successful business person I've ever met.

He lacks the skills because he is bad at finding executive talent. Mark Shapiro made his name at ESPN mainly by having ESPN not show sports. Snyder - for some reason - seems to think Shapiro is the only executive in the world. He was in charge of Six Flags. He was in charge of Dick Clark. And he is chairman of the board for Red Zebra.

You are correct which is why I'm relieved he's not involved in the coaching search. :)

None of this is cutting edge stuff btw. Guys who have tremendous success early in their careers and spend the rest of their careers trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle are a dime a dozen. At some point I suspect some of them realize that being in the right place at the right time more than once is a very difficult thing to do. But most of them have egos that don't allow them to see this, and they end up funding losing business venture after losing business venture

Being fortunate enough to buy into an NFL franchise, which over the past 20 years is probably the single best place you could put your money if you were one of the few with the ability to do so, has been Snyders best decision.

Archived