Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salon: Pregnant, brain-dead Texas woman kept alive

Duckus

I didn't see did she say anything about carrying a child while brain dead in her wishes?

1). I certainly assume she didn't. Or we'd have read about it.

2). Do you think it would make a difference, if she had?

I need a reason to end a life.....got one?

I need a reason to put you in charge....got one?

I mean, other than your assertion that any person who doesn't come to the decision you want, somehow becomes incompetent.

So why exactly doesnt the father want to allow the baby to come to term?  I'm sure the mother would have wanted them to save the baby at any cost.  Something is funny here. 

At the very least this illustrates how these 'no life support' "wills" need to take into account situations like pregnancy. 

So why exactly doesnt the father want to allow the baby to come to term? I'm sure the mother would have wanted them to save the baby at any cost. Something is funny here.

At the very least this illustrates how these 'no life support' "wills" need to take into account situations like pregnancy.

Do they need to take into account every possible medical cause, too?

I know it's kind of an analogy, but both of my parents, a decade ago, filled out power if attorney forms, granting me authority to take actions, on their behalf. When they filmed out the forms, the form had an array if like a dozen powers which they could grant. Both parents chose to sign the forms, and to initial every single power listed on the form.

In theory, according to these forms, I have the power to sell their house.

Every single federal agency has a policy of ignoring these forms. Because those are state forms, and the federal government is superior to state law. Instead, every single agency has their own, separate form, that only applies to that agency.

Now, is it really my parents fault that they didn't contact every single agency in the federal government, and fill out a separate form for each agency?

she is a Texas resident.......implied consent or natural state,you choose ;)

Are you seriously attempting to say that "if she didn't want to be a baby incubator, she should gave left the state"?

I need a reason to put you in charge....got one?

I mean, other than your assertion that any person who doesn't come to the decision you want, somehow becomes incompetent.

And yet you doubt my liberal credentials  :)

Are you seriously attempting to say that "if she didn't want to be a baby incubator, she should gave left the state"?

you didn't like my joke?

she should also avoid all the other states with similar laws

I'm not aware of a mothers brain function being required for a fetuses health, the few cases of birth after life support show no issues.

Whether the fetus was oxygen starved would matter.

Bang a govt unconcerned with protecting life is in danger of forfeiting authority

Whatever excuse for tyranny, i suppose.

~Bang

What you fail to follow here is that erectile dysfunction drugs may be dangerous to ground water. Here at the clinic, we treat everyone's scalp problems, regardless of how they wear their pants, or even if they wear pants. the key issue here is candle wax, and whether or not it's raining.

Your cookies are simply not dunkable, especially if all you have is orange juice. American patriot and decent tipper Paul Revere said it best back in 1931, when he exclaimed "Girl, I wanna show you how to boogaloo" on the opening day of the Napkin ring manufacturers convention in Atlantic city.

If a fish needed wheels, they'd call him a bear. And really, it's that simple.

~Bang

From what I read she made no such determinations. 

She did not have a living will and/or written end of life directives. Both her husband and her mother have been said that when alive she stated that she never wanted to be on life support. 

However, none of that really matters in this particular case. In Texas, it doesn't matter what your living will, end of life directives, or family wants - you don't have a choice.

If you are pregnant and you die and you are on life support it is illegal for a hospital to remove life support in any situation. 

From what I read she made no such determinations.

Well, she was 14 weeks pregnant, and hadn't had an abortion YET. I think it's at least a reasonable assumption that she intended to carry the fetus to term. I certainly wouldn't take some unsupported assertion that maybe she would have had an abortion, next week.

And the OP seems pretty clear that she felt very strongly against being a living vegetable. (Although it doesn't actually say that she said so IN WRITING. Which can be important.)

Politics and religion aside, as a father, I can't fathom not wanting my baby to survive long enough to be born.

And yet you have no problem twisting this situation, so that you can claim that's what somebody else wants.

Once life support is started,removing it is usually restricted to only if it is judged inhumane or futile.....by the Drs.

It and resuscitation can even be administered to minors against the parents wishes by federal law.(CAPTA)

Montalvo v. Borkovec was a interesting case of it.

This is such a personal issue for a family, I just have a really hard time seeing people politicize this, particularly in the public forum.

Having witnessed a life support decision disagreement play out between a girlfriend's husband and her parents, resulting in her being in a vegetative state for 4 years with her finally, mercifully passing away this summer, it's just something I pray I never have to deal with. And kind of shake my head at those who argue black and white/right and wrong in these cases...

Very, very sad :(

Archived