Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB: Would you trade same picks we traded for RG3 for Cam Newton knowing what you know about Cam now?

Bonez3

MMQB: Would you trade same picks we traded for RG3 for Cam Newton knowing what you know about Cam now?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. MMQB: Would you trade same picks we traded for RG3 for Cam Newton knowing what you know about Cam now?

So, yes, this is a do you agree with RG3 trade question in disguise. But, I am curious to see if anybody would be willing to  trade 3 firsts (one of which was a simple position switch- which improved us actually. I hate when people phrase it that way) and a second for Cam.

FWIW, I feel RG3 has far more potential. So, I am trying to build arguments for trade. (Not that there's outrage against it, just a lot of buzz since pick gonna be so high)

Cam is worth more than Robert Griffin. He's bigger, stronger, has a stronger arm, and has the body to take a pounding when he runs opposed to little guys like Mike Vick, and Robert Griffin.

And to answer your question, no. It's sets a franchise back too much.

I think you should take the RG3 out of the title and just simply ask is Cam worth 3 firsts and a 2nd?

My answer is yes. It is hard to find a good QB. Cam can be great. I cannot wait until he gets a dominate receiver.

As for RG3, only time will tell. I think he should get two more years before people decide if we paid too much or not. As of right now, I would do the RG3 trade again.

But is RG3 a franchise QB?  That's certainly not clear at this point. 

It's clear that he's being relied upon to be one. It's also clear that the organization plans to move forward with him in that role.

In fact, I'd say until they trade him, cut him, or lose him to a retiring injury, it's pretty clear that he's the franchise.

What people don't know about Cam is that he was always a 5 star recruit coming outta high school. So, he's no late bloomer like RG3. Recruited by Florida(big time SEC school) and didn't work out because of off field issue. Ended up at Blinn Community College and won the Junior College National Championship. Then find himself at Auburn(another big time SEC school), ran a train through the conference going undefeated, and winning the BCS notional championship game, breaking all kind of records. In his rookie year as a panther he ran a train through the National Football League racking up over 4000 yards passing, 706 yard rushing, and breaking the rushing TD record of 14. In his sophomore year while under the radar and people claiming he was in a slump all he did was throw for 3869 and rushing for 741. Over 4600 total yards of slump(lol). In his 3rd year as pro when everything settled down for the team he got them to a12-4 record and week off to watch wild card games on his couch. To add to that, the panthers had the hardest preseason schedule in football. And most importantly, during that period he hasn't missed one single game. The kid's been playing against top competition his entire life and still making them look silly on Sundays. And he's doing all of this with not one franchise caliber receiver on the roster.

For a guy like Cam Newton I would 100% trade the picks and I would add an additional to thank the sucker willing to give him up.

Way back when the trade first happen, I ask myself why did we not done this the year before with Carolina. Cam is a better athlete and more durable than RG3. Sorry!

And he's a pure pocket passer. He goes through his progression like the best of them. And for a guy that rush for so many yards he rarely gets hit because he gives himself up 4 yards in advance before the defender gets to him. He does that because he understand his position as a QB and everything else he brings to the table is extra. RG3 needs to learn that quick. If RG3 was smart he would call Cam and work out with him in the off season. Cam is a smart dude.

Also, I don't think Carolina would have given him up.

Cam wouldn't be the Cam we know on the Redskins. 

Yes, he would. Maybe the rest of the team would suck but offensively we'd give other teams nightmare. What Cam did for carolina is that he gave the team time to build the defense instead of drafting one player on each side of the ball like a lot of teams do. So, he'd probably make us a top 10 scoring offense his first year with all those rushing TDs he'd be scoring then we'd probably dedicate the next couple of year's draft on defensive player. Being that the NFC East is such a wreck we'd probably be in the same situation Carolina is in or better. But, I do think all the read-option stuff would have probably hinder the team from succeeding. I think Shanny and the crew would have probably make him a one read guy when in reality he's not.

Yes, he would. Maybe the rest of the team would suck but offensively we'd give other teams nightmare. What Cam did for carolina is that he gave the team time to build the defense instead of drafting one player on each side of the ball like a lot of teams do. So, he'd probably make us a top 10 scoring offense his first year with all those rushing TDs he'd be scoring then we'd probably dedicate the next couple of year's draft on defensive player. Being that the NFC East is such a wreck we'd probably be in the same situation Carolina is in or better. But, I do think all the read-option stuff would have probably hinder the team from succeeding. I think Shanny and the crew would have probably make him a one read guy when in reality he's not.

Your hypothetical first year for Cam, was the reality first year for RG3.  The difference is Carolina was better stocked at RB, Oline, and arguebly defense than the Redskins.  The skins tried to draft defensive players but they either had better guys in front of them (jenkins), they got hurt (crawford, thomas, robinson) or wasn't ready to contribute (rambo/jenkins?).  The $36M hit didn't help either.

Shanahan probably wouldn't have a changed his approach.  The major pluses for Cam are that he is taller and seems more durable.  Everything else is comparable or insignificant. The RO was a nice feather in the cap, but we leaned on it too much to generate a spark.

It's clear that he's being relied upon to be one. It's also clear that the organization plans to move forward with him in that role.

In fact, I'd say until they trade him, cut him, or lose him to a retiring injury, it's pretty clear that he's the franchise.

We all know the team thinks he's a franchise QB, but the question I was asking is whether he actually IS a franchise QB. 

We all know the team thinks he's a franchise QB, but the question I was asking is whether he actually IS a franchise QB. 

What will be your criteria when you make that decision? That he made the playoffs 2 years in a row? That we have a winning record with him on the team after 50 games?

Until he utterly fails, he's the franchise. That's all I'm saying. 

Drafted #1 overall by a 2-14 team that had a new coaching staff & a depleted & completely gutted roster before the lockout season. In just his 3rd season has them at 12-4, division champions with a 1st rd bye. He also has more yardage than any QB ever, & is 2nd to Marino in TD, thru his 3rd season.

He's as worthy as any other young player would've been.

Your hypothetical first year for Cam, was the reality first year for RG3.  The difference is Carolina was better stocked at RB, Oline, and arguebly defense than the Redskins.  The skins tried to draft defensive players but they either had better guys in front of them (jenkins), they got hurt (crawford, thomas, robinson) or wasn't ready to contribute (rambo/jenkins?).  The $36M hit didn't help either.

Shanahan probably wouldn't have a changed his approach.  The major pluses for Cam are that he is taller and seems more durable.  Everything else is comparable or insignificant. The RO was a nice feather in the cap, but we leaned on it too much to generate a spark.

At the end of the day although I think Cam is notches above RG3 in every regard, they're two of the brightest stars in the league. If I were a 99 year old man I'd probably be in a rush to witness the redskins win every game with RG3 but I'm not. So there will be plenty of great years with RG3 and this organization.

Archived