Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can I Use My Own Wifi Router With Fios? If So Can Someone Explain How?

Springfield

Pretty basic I'd assume...

I have Fios. Internet and TV. The modem they gave me includes a wifi router which blows. However, they will sell me an "advanced" router for a small fortune (which of course I could only assume sucks blows slightly less).

I was under the assumption that it would be difficult to use my own wifi router but I bet it really isn't and I bet there are plenty of folks on ES that can point me in the right direction.

Yes, I realize that wired is better. Yes, you have to realize that this is 2013 and I live in a three level townhouse so hard wiring te place just isn't practical. Also, wires are ugly.

How can this be done?

Do you have issues with everything on the Internet or just videos? Same situation btw, FIOS router on the 1st floor of a 3 floor townhouse.

The router is upstairs in the bedroom (as the installer said would be better for range). My smart TV is downstairs in the basement and that's where I do most of my surfing as well. Netflix will frequently degrade the picture, presumably because of the crap bandwidth.

Doing a quick speed test from my phone and I am currently getting 1 mb down and 1 mb up. Pretty ****ty.

Yeah you can. You must be paying a rental fee for your current router though

So it's just as easy as plugging an Ethernet cable from the fios router to some "aftermarket" router?

The router is upstairs in the bedroom (as the installer said would be better for range). My smart TV is downstairs in the basement and that's where I do most of my surfing as well. Netflix will frequently degrade the picture, presumably because of the crap

Tried switching to an open DNS?

Going to preface this by saying I don't know jack about what I'm talking about here. But a friend showed me a trick that's simply switching the DNS and getting access to much faster upload and download speeds. Someone else who knows about this please jump in here.

Edit- here ya go: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Little more background, before I did this my Internet sucked specifically with videos. I actually upgraded FIOS from 30 to 50 mb/s. Still sucked. So I tried that and it did the trick.

Doing a quick speed test from my phone and I am currently getting 1 mb down and 1 mb up. Pretty ****ty.

If you are only getting 1mb up and down, then you have another issue.

What do you get when you speedtest from a laptop by the router?

I had a similar issue, turns out it was a bad router.  And it was a brand new install.

Fios isn't rolling out high speed internet with routers that do that.

If you are only getting 1mb up and down, then you have another issue.

What do you get when you speedtest from a laptop by the router?

I had a similar issue, turns out it was a bad router. And it was a brand new install.

Fios isn't rolling out high speed internet with routers that do that.

I ran a test with my laptop just now and am getting about 12 down in the basement. Supposed to have 25/25 so I assume 12 down isn't bad (compared to Cox though I always got what was advertised over wifi). I assume that the 1/1 was an issue with my phone or the app I was using.

Still half of the advertised speed would seem to be a router issue. I don't really care to go hardwire into the router to see what speed I get right now. Of course that's the only way to tell if it's a wifi issue or not.

If your router has a bridge mode then connect FIOS router LAN port to wireless router wan port and then turn off the wireless on the FIOS router and you should be good to go.

If no bridge mode most routers have instructions on the net of how to configure the FIOS router to make them work. Just look up under your specific router.

I ran a test with my laptop just now and am getting about 12 down in the basement. Supposed to have 25/25 so I assume 12 down isn't bad (compared to Cox though I always got what was advertised over wifi). I assume that the 1/1 was an issue with my phone or the app I was using.

Still half of the advertised speed would seem to be a router issue. I don't really care to go hardwire into the router to see what speed I get right now. Of course that's the only way to tell if it's a wifi issue or not.

I had the similar issue, it turned out to be my wireless router.  When I plugged directly in, I got the advertised download.  They replaced my wireless router and now I get full performance.

Call Fios, they will come out.  You don't pay for performance you don't receive.

I had the similar issue, it turned out to be my wireless router. When I plugged directly in, I got the advertised download. They replaced my wireless router and now I get full performance.

Call Fios, they will come out. You don't pay for performance you don't receive.

Fair enough. Sounds like a plan.

Fair enough. Sounds like a plan.

BTW, this was in my office where I could formerly only get DSL.

My Fios once installed, wireless was actually getting <1 both ways.  It was performing worse than DSL, but randomly would perform ok, then degrade.  When I called Fios they were getting exactly as advertised when running speed tests to my router from the help desk.  It was only my wireless portion that was bad.  They tried to blame it on me of course...initially.  But I got it all worked out.

That's ALL Internet providers default position until you prove to them otherwise! lol

LOL, I know, they insisted it was a problem with our server configuration in our lab, and that it all looked good from their standpoint :-)  I tried to explain to them we weren't routing anything through our server, but they just want to get you off the phone and ask "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I'm assuming your place is older and not wired with cat5/Ethernet ports throughout the house. From what it sounds like,...

Wireless signals degrade through walls, ceilings, floors, etc. with consumer-grade equipment. If Verizon can't fix it, you should try using a combination of powerline Ethernet adapters and another wireless router. You'd configure the basement router to get it's DHCP and DNS info from your primary modem/router and to broadcast it's own wireless network. It will not be screaming fast, but it should be much faster.

These things work great in my old plaster-walled home where I could not get a very good wireless signal downstairs for streaming movies. You plug an Ethernet cable into your modem from one adapter, and plug the other adapter to wherever in your house you want to have another "wired" connection. I have a wired connection straight from the adapter to my DVR downstairs. In your case, you would configure the wireless router and plug that into the adapter. You can also add a switch into the mix if there are other devices you can use an Ethernet cable with (wired is always faster). I haven't tried it with a wireless router attached but I think it would improve your situation, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Just search Newegg for Powerline Ethernet Adapters. I do know that they won't always work in all houses though. Something to do with circuits and electrical shenanigans. Newegg is great with returns though, if they don't work for you.

Another option to try would be wireless repeaters, but I'd try these first. 

I agree, getting a new router can't hurt.  At least you can rule that out as the problem.

I didn't have a wireless issue, but one day our internet just stopped working.  DId the whole power-cycling thing, and called to check if there was a general outage.  When that was all negative, I remembered we had a spare Verizon-issue router in the closet from my old apartment.  Swapped it out, problem solved.

I would definitely 2nd the powerline adapter idea if all you want is your smart TV to have a better signal. I just did the same thing to my folks old house in WV in which my Dad's PS3 was getting a ****ty wifi signal because it was in the basement and the router was on the first floor. The powerline adapter made the signal almost the same as what he would be getting if he could plug something straight into the modem directly.

Plus, it was plug and play for the adapter - no configuring/setup necessary. 

Just to get an idea - I think this is the one he chose. Of course, you can get it cheaper probably online somewhere.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powerline-av-200-nano-adapter-kit/3536038.p;jsessionid=6D0AC2D0A58E8BEF1A37EEBCA516FDA8.bbolsp-app02-112?id=1218410802490&skuId=3536038&st=categoryid$pcmcat161100050043&cp=1&lp=4

Actually I think the power line solution will probably best suit my needs.

The laptop, iphone, etc don't really bother me if the Internet isn't blazing fast because I'm normally just searching web pages. My high bandwidth consumer is definitely the TV (basement). The other high bandwidth device is my game console (top floor w/ wifi router).

It would be perfect use one adapter upstairs with the router and one downstairs with the TV (and potentially a game console if I ever bring it down). It looks like the make adapters that have multiple Ethernet output ports on them.

That is solved.

Now another question. Could I potentially have more than two power line adapters in my house? Can I have one power line adapter at the router, one more downstairs at my TV and another I in my gaming room? I assume the answer is on the web I just haven't bothered looking yet.

Thanks for all the help guys!

What do you mean how do you do it?   the wireless router just plugs right into the fios modem...   If you want to get fancy you may want to get yourself a patch pannel which will allow you to connect multiple devices in addition to your wifi....  AKA a cat 5 cable for your office perhaps or where you download your bit torents.....

What do you mean how do you do it?   the wireless router just plugs right into the fios modem...   If you want to get fancy you may want to get yourself a patch pannel which will allow you to connect multiple devices in addition to your wifi....  AKA a cat 5 cable for your office perhaps or where you download your bit torents.....

Not that simple.  The Fios router is also a wireless router and if you just hook the 2 up there will be dueling DHCP servers plus some interference.  It's not hard, but you do have to configure the routers for it. 

Well I just tested my phone at work 20 down so it isn't an iPhone issue but perhaps a setting issue on my router.

Wireless networks can be finicky beasts.  On mine i read a blurb somewhere that if you were not using any legacy protocol like G or B to turn those off and only use N.  Did it and it picked up the speed of my ipad which was slower than everything else kinda like your phone.  Don't know why but it worked. 

What do you mean how do you do it? the wireless router just plugs right into the fios modem... If you want to get fancy you may want to get yourself a patch pannel which will allow you to connect multiple devices in addition to your wifi.... AKA a cat 5 cable for your office perhaps or where you download your bit torents.....

I always figured there was something preventing me from using my own wireless router hence why fios has one integrated into their modem.

Archived