Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nepotism At It's Best

The Titan

Why does our OC constantly abandon the run when we are up in a game? I've never seen a team throw the ball as much as we do, on first down, when we are leading, yet we want to RUN the ball when we have no timeouts and need to score a TD to tie the game.

Shanny Jr. needs to go and has proven time and time again, he has no game management. Three of the last three games 10 point leads+ and we give up the lead and outscored 68-0 (with the exception of our 6 in OT). This is piss poor management. BUT WILL HE BE FIRED??? NO!!! Why? Because his last name is Shanahan.

We have the worst ST in the league, a kicker who can't get a touchback, a punter who is good for a 30 yard or less punt every game, lead the league in blocked punts and blocked FGs and constantly give up long returns for touchdowns, but still has a job. But wait, the ST coach was a player for the head coach Shanny, while with the Broncos?

Nepotism at it's finest...

Why does our OC constantly abandon the run when we are up in a game? I've never seen a team throw the ball as much as we do, on first down, when we are leading, yet we want to RUN the ball when we have no timeouts and need to score a TD to tie the game.

Shanny Jr. needs to go and has proven time and time again, he has no game management. Three of the last three games 10 point leads+ and we give up the lead and outscored 68-0 (with the exception of our 6 in OT). This is piss poor management. BUT WILL HE BE FIRED??? NO!!! Why? Because his last name is Shanahan.

We have the worst ST in the league, a kicker who can't get a touchback, a punter who is good for a 30 yard or less punt every game, lead the league in blocked punts and blocked FGs and constantly give up long returns for touchdowns, but still has a job. But wait, the ST coach was a player for the head coach Shanny, while with the Broncos?

Nepotism at it's finest...

I'm sorry, but you are wrong, this is a top ten offense and one of the last running based offenses in the league.  Why in God's name do you people focus in on the offense when clearly the problem is the Defense??  Our offense played very well with the exception of our line's inability to pass-block and the dropped passes.  The defense has made every QB we faced look like hall of famers.  We single-handedly saved Christian Ponder's career.  

I'm sorry, but you are wrong, this is a top ten offense and one of the last running based offenses in the league.  Why in God's name do you people focus in on the offense when clearly the problem is the Defense??  Our offense played very well with the exception of our line's inability to pass-block and the dropped passes.  The defense has made every QB we faced look like hall of famers.  We single-handedly saved Christian Ponder's career.  

I'm Wrong?? What team are YOU watching dude? We're 3-6, just lost to a 1-7 team....The D has sucked all year and possibly the worst D we've ever had...but the O can't execute when they need to and our O coordinator falls apart in the 2nd half....

I agree with the OP. The play calling is suspect. Sunday we had third and short deep in their territory with the lead and about three minutes left. Instead of running it he calls for a pass which went Incomplete and stopped the clock and pretty much couldve cost us the game. If he chose to run he couldve got the first and if he didn't get the first we still wouldve taken a chunk of time off the clock and had the option to go for it on fourth and one and keep the ball if we converted. The goal line stand and eventual win in OT bailed kyle out. but don't dare defend him and try to put it on the defense. I've seen better game management at a madden tournament.

The 2nd half:

FG

Punt 

Punt

Punt

Turnover on downs   

or something to that effect.  

Offense sucked in the second half folks just as bad as the defense.  

OP is wrong about nepotism.  Shanahan has terrible coaches across the board and Kyle is the best of his coordinators hands down.  

Execution > Play Calling

How can people blame this on the offense? Do you know how many teams would kill to have an offense like this? It's the defense, plain and simple. It has been the issue since Haslett took over and it won't go away until he does. I have no clue why they continue to hold onto him but it's going to cost Shanahan his job and that's sad because he's been quite good building this team.

I agree with the OP. The play calling is suspect. Sunday we had third and short deep in their territory with the lead and about three minutes left. Instead of running it he calls for a pass which went Incomplete and stopped the clock and pretty much couldve cost us the game. If he chose to run he couldve got the first and if he didn't get the first we still wouldve taken a chunk of time off the clock and had the option to go for it on fourth and one and keep the ball if we converted. The goal line stand and eventual win in OT bailed kyle out. but don't dare defend him and try to put it on the defense. I've seen better game management at a madden tournament.

hmmm.. never heard of hindsight bias? why is it difficult for members on this board to comprehend the concept that players "gasp" are also responsible for offensive shortcomings or negative plays? So ridiculous. our offensive prowess last year was due entirely to Rg3(not Kyle's play-calling) and our offensive ineptitude this year is entirely due Kyle's playcalling( Not Rg3 or the rest of the offensive players.) Very convenient 

I don't know why hankerson was not used in the red zone on that last play. Someone said kyle plays chess when everyone else plays checkers. Sometimes checkers is all you need. Why abandon the run when you're ahead when all that was needed to be done was continue running the ball down their throats until they stopped us consistetly? Instead kyle wants to get cute. K.I.s.s. keep it simple, stupid.

hmmm.. never heard of hindsight bias? why is it difficult for members on this board to comprehend the concept that players "gasp" are also responsible for offensive shortcomings or negative plays? So ridiculous. our offensive prowess last year was due entirely to Rg3(not Kyle's play-calling) and our offensive ineptitude this year is entirely due Kyle's playcalling( Not Rg3 or the rest of the offensive players.) Very convenient

What the H are you talking about? You quoted me and did not directly address the play/issue in question. If a pass play is not executed correctly most times it is an incomplete pass which stops the clock. If a run play is not executed correctly at least the clock co ti ues to run. The coach calls the thpe of plays. That's all on the coach. He must have some sort of situational awardness and imo he is lacking

Some fans aren't happy unless we literally run the ball every play in the 2nd half with a lead.

You gotta remain balanced and aggressive. Good teams close out games by throwing and passing.

When the players execute, nobody complains about playcalling.

Lol this.  Our offense is 14th in run %, pretty dang average in that department.  People point to denver, but our offense never took the field with a 14 point lead (d td and then denver scored on their next drive).

Let me go over the play selection for the second half for those other guys, us starting off 24-14.

1st drive: 5 runs, 4 passes, fg 27-14

2nd drive: 1 run, 2 passes, punt 27-21

3rd drive: 3 runs, 3 passes, punt 27-28

So while we had the lead in the second half we had 9 runs and 9 passes.  People bring it up as if we had 2 runs and 15 passes.  And thing is, many of those passes were 3rd down attempts due to not getting enough on runs.

I don't know why hankerson was not used in the red zone on that last play. Someone said kyle plays chess when everyone else plays checkers. Sometimes checkers is all you need. Why abandon the run when you're ahead when all that was needed to be done was continue running the ball down their throats until they stopped us consistetly? Instead kyle wants to get cute. K.I.s.s. keep it simple, stupid.

What the H are you talking about? You quoted me and did not directly address the play/issue in question. If a pass play is not executed correctly most times it is an incomplete pass which stops the clock. If a run play is not executed correctly at least the clock co ti ues to run. The coach calls the thpe of plays. That's all on the coach. He must have some sort of situational awardness and imo he is lacking

hmm, ok may have misunderstood your exact quote. unfortunately i don't recall the exact play in question which you're referring to. my overall point was that posters( not necessarily you) always question a play call when its unsuccessful, instead of accepting the possibility that the players executing the play might have direct involvement in the play's failure. carry on, no offense intended  :)

And to respond to your last quote, i can't confidently state my opinion since I'm not exactly sure what play your referencing . But perhaps Kyle felt running it in that situation was predictable, and the defense was in a formation to stop the run play. passing may have been the logical response, but failed, which attracts every "couch-seat" coaches, stating they knew exactly what play should have been called, and Kyle is an idiot, the recipient of Nepotism. 

hmm, ok may have misunderstood your exact quote. unfortunately i don't recall the exact play in question which you're referring to. my overall point was that posters( not necessarily you) always question a play call when its unsuccessful, instead of accepting the possibility that the players executing the play might have direct involvement in the play's failure. carry on, no offense intended :)

And to respond to your last quote, i can't confidently state my opinion since I'm not exactly sure what play your referencing . But perhaps Kyle felt running it in that situation was predictable, and the defense was in a formation to stop the run play. passing may have been the logical response, but failed, which attracts every "couch-seat" coaches, stating they knew exactly what play should have been called, and Kyle is an idiot, the recipient of Nepotism.

if you have the. CHargers game on dvr, look at the redskins last 4 plays on offense in regulation. Like I said, running wouldve taken some time off the clock or burned one of their timeouts if we don't get it. If we don't get it, we couldve concievably gone for it and kept the ball for the rest of the game. Instead we throw then punt with ppenty of time left. You know the rest.

if you have the. CHargers game on dvr, look at the redskins last 4 plays on offense in regulation. Like I said, running wouldve taken some time off the clock or burned one of their timeouts if we don't get it. If we don't get it, we couldve concievably gone for it and kept the ball for the rest of the game. Instead we throw then punt with ppenty of time left. You know the rest.

didnt DVR the game, but with the aid of some memory and ESPN play-by-play stats, i was able to bring up the drive in question. going to skip the big Garcon pass which went for 26 yards, and focus on the inevitable three and out that has generated our argument:

First down and 10 at Wash 48, playcall is a Morris run play for 1 yard. (clock after this play is run down to about 2:42)

Second down and 9 at Wash 49, is a run play to Morris for 4 yards to the San Diego 47. ( holding penalty, 10 yard penalty, now 2nd and 19, play clock is about 2:35?)

Second down and 19, at Wash 39, 16 yard pass play to garçon. ( SD calls timeout at 2:22 mark. Now 3rd down and 3 at SD 45, with 2:22 to go).

Third down and 3, at SD 45, incomplete pass. ( clock stops, we punt to SD with about 2:10 left)

Overall, i dont have a problem with the play calls. At the time we were only up by 3(24-21), and were buried back in our end of the field. the first play, a pass play, gashed them for 26 yards, and after that we ran the ball on two consecutive downs. The holding penalty, very untimely, put us in a 2nd and 19 situation. Are you saying you wanted Kyle to call a run play, at our own 49, with 19 yards to go?

SD would have a called a timeout regardless, evident from them calling one after our 16 yard pass play. The difference is that in your preferred version, the clock is stopped( just like it was after the 16 yard pass play) with more time (2:22) on the clock, and more yards to gain for a first down( only 3 yards in the real example). On third down, in your version, the redskins are faced with a third and long with more room for SD should you choose to punt it after running it on third down to waste clock( which upon theoretically stopping the third down run play, SD would only be taking their second timeout at the time). SD then receives the ball with less yards to score, and more time. 

i have no issue with Kyle's pay calling. The penalty is what killed us, not the playcalling.

offense is bad sometimes, just like every team, yes, EVERY team.

defense is bad every time, UN-like every team, and anything else you've seen is an illusion.  Luck, the other team being bad, a bounce of the ball.

STOP with anything that's encouraging Haslett's tenure.  This is ridiculous, our offense is beyond fine, it's one of the best in the league.  I'm sorry each and every series of play calls and execution isn't to everyone's liking.  jeez.

Special Teams, aka the lack of Special Teams, turned this game around.

Then Haslett's non defense gave the Vikings all the momentum they shouldn't have had. Kyle's ineptitude, especially when it was first and goal, sealed the deal. The Coaching staff sucks.

RG3 = top 10 QB. Morris = top 5 RB. Reed = top 5 TE. Garcon = top 12 WR. 

Defense=Worst

Special Teams=Worst

Offense when it counts=Worst, and that is on the coaching staff. 

Talent only takes you so far.

Everybody knows Haslett should have been fired last year. No question about it, but as a previous poster posted Kyle damn near blew the game last week in the 4th quarter on 3rd and 3 when Kyle once again got too cute. Let's pay attention to the Vikings. The Vikings are a running team with no if, ands, buts about it and when that is something a team does well you do not get away from it. Even the broadcasters were stating the obvious of why are the Skins not running the ball. The Skins previously were not sacked at all in the first half and then after attempting to pass on every down sacked 4 times in the 3rd and 4th. Ball control should have been the key because everybody knows that damn defense will lose a game in a heart beat. Mike Shanahan knows this because that explains that fake punt if those clowns would have executed the play properly it would have worked.

What game were you watching yesterday?

We committed to the run quite rightly, including running it on first down twice on the last drive. We had 36 rushing attempts on the game and 37 passing attempts and ran for 191 yards. If thats what you see as abandoning the run I don't know what to tell you.

The only play call I really had a problem with was the last pass play - I was saying before the snap we need to target someone other than Garcon and Reed as the Vikes were focused on them but if you are going to throw a fade I wanted it to be Hank who was the number 1 read not Moss who had not really been that involved in the game.

its a little funny that we always try to point the finger at one thing when we stink.

while the defense easily had its worst game since week 2, the offense couldnt do anything the second half. could it have helped the defense if they had been able to convert a third down? or score more than 3 points against a garbage defense?

you dont allow 20 unanswered points without some 'help' from your offense. punting every time you have the ball between your first drive of the second half and the last drive of the second half is not helping. 

we couldnt move the ball the second half vs a D that was missing 3 of 4 starters in the secondary. our O line couldnt block for their lives. and our coordinator, once again, appeared to not adjust to what the D was doing. 

also funny how people seem to be under the impression our offense has played anywhere near 'well' all year.                                                                                                        

also funny how people seem to be under the impression our offense has played anywhere near 'well' all year.                                                                                                        

You don't think the offense played well against the Bears or the first half of last night?

its a little funny that we always try to point the finger at one thing when we stink.

while the defense easily had its worst game since week 2, the offense couldnt do anything the second half. could it have helped the defense if they had been able to convert a third down? or score more than 3 points against a garbage defense?

you dont allow 20 unanswered points without some 'help' from your offense. punting every time you have the ball between your first drive of the second half and the last drive of the second half is not helping. 

we couldnt move the ball the second half vs a D that was missing 3 of 4 starters in the secondary. our O line couldnt block for their lives. and our coordinator, once again, appeared to not adjust to what the D was doing. 

No offense goes games without a string of 3 and outs.  The Redskins have a top 5 offense in most statistical categories and top 7 in terms of scoring.

You wanna tell me with your eyeballs that they seem sloppy - sure, fine.  But let's not act here like they are below average on that side of the ball b/c they clearly are not.  They may have started the season slower than we would've liked - but the numbers and the points support them.

Archived