Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jose Gumbs - Supreme Work Ethic & Diamond In The Rough?

method man

I am really liking this kid so far. He looked good to me in the preseason, albeit against 3rd teamers, causing me to hold my breath a bit. He then proceeded to show up in the Chicago game a couple weeks ago and I didn't notice him getting destroyed either in the running game. He may be a diamond in the rough because he is from tiny Monmouth (where Miles Austin is also from).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/09/26/sleeping-in-a-car-kickstarted-jose-gumbss-path-to-the-nfl/

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Jose-Gumbs-Proving-To-Be-A-Special-Find/3300dd25-678c-4f0f-b277-cbdda484681a

Great great work ethic too...I love the story about him having to sleep in a car because his father and him couldn't work the same shift. I really look forward to seeing this kid get better and prove to be a steal.

Perhaps, if he were to become a "Ryan Clark," hopefully we'd keep him instead of letting him go and replacing him with an overrated overpaid player down the road.

Given his backstory - focused on baseball, short high school football career interrupted by injury, delayed start to college career - he's a relative newcomer to the game.  Potentially he has a big upside as he gains experience. 

Guys like this sometimes catch what I call the "James Thrash Syndrome."  These are the UDFAs who are invited to camp with little or no expectation of making it.  They have to outwork and outscrap more highly touted guys to earn a roster spot.  Once they do, they keep that work ethic with them, not taking anything for granted.  And that work ethic serves them well as they end up with decent NFL careers. 

Had high expectations for the Broncos game.  Was more thrilled with Rambo's play than the little I saw of Gumbs.  He got burned on that clever Denver goal-line formation and didn't see a lot of him again.  Seems the rotation with Biggers comes into play in nickel and dime situations.

I'll be curious how BM comes back from his suspension but ideally, I still believe that Gumbs/Rambo holds the most promise going forward until we see what Phillip Thomas brings next year.

Wasn't it Gumbs who had that HUGE demolishing hit on special teams in the Chicago game? ...yeah, like, two games ago.  Keep up.

I was answering Leonard Washington's post about how he has been waiting since preseason for a big hit from Gumbs, and from what I could remember, he had that big one in the Chicago game.  Thanks for confirming it was him.

Archived