Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Tony Romo Was Tony Romo, Until He Was Tony Romo

Gymratfwp

My husband's desk is behind the couch.  Right before that series, I turned around & said, "Time for a Romo sits to pee"...he knew what that meant, and BAM...it happened!  (We watched him in a ProAm with Tiger, and 2 putts lipped out.  Hubby knows what "chokin' Romo sits to pee" is, even though it took me YEARS to make him see that yes, it always happens.) :D

"If I told Tony Romo sits to pee that he had 500 yards & 41 points but still wasn't winning the game...." I think it was Verne that said it, I can't remember.  But how prophetic! 

If we're the only team in our division to beat the Broncos, there will be no peeling me off the ceiling. 

Hail!

If you said to me that Romo sits to pee would throw for 500 and score 48, I would say to you that in such a game, the fault would not lie with Romo sits to pee.  If your offense scores 48 and you still lose, the problem is not the QB.  The problem is the Defense and in the Denver game, that was exactly the problem.

Romo sits to pee threw the pick and it was a poor decision on his part but that's not why we lost.  We lost because we couldn't stop Denver's Offense.  I'm not a Romo sits to pee hatter, nor am I a Romo sits to pee Fan Boy but the game against Denver was not on Romo sits to pee.  

Do you think a win on Sunday night vs. Washington changes what Zoony posted?

No idea.  If Romo sits to pee puts up 48, maybe.  Maybe not.  That's a Zoony question.

If you said to me that Romo sits to pee would throw for 500 and score 48, I would say to you that in such a game, the fault would not lie with Romo sits to pee.  If your offense scores 48 and you still lose, the problem is not the QB.  The problem is the Defense and in the Denver game, that was exactly the problem.

Romo sits to pee threw the pick and it was a poor decision on his part but that's not why we lost.  We lost because we couldn't stop Denver's Offense.  I'm not a Romo sits to pee hatter, nor am I a Romo sits to pee Fan Boy but the game against Denver was not on Romo sits to pee.  

No idea.  If Romo sits to pee puts up 48, maybe.  Maybe not.  That's a Zoony question.

OK, well I'll go so far as to predict that zoony doesn't believe Romo sits to pee won't win specific games or play well at times. I believe he's talking more big-picture and believes that, in Romo sits to pee, Dallas has a quarterback who hasn't shown he can consistently excel in big situations. If you think that Romo sits to pee beating a reeling, 1-3 team at home disproves that, I suppose that's fine.

Disagree completely....the proximate cause of the Cowboys loss was the INT by Romo sits to pee. It was a tied game up till that point and Romo sits to pee made a boneheaded decision to throw into triple coverage. There was no defense in that game on either side, for each arguement to the contrary you can point to the poor performace by Denver as well because they had no answer for the Cowboys offense either. Denver won because they didn't make a back breaking mistake at the worst possible time. Romo sits to pee did.

To put the blame for the loss on Romo sits to pee's shoulders isn't taking away his unbelievable performance in that game. I've never seen Romo sits to pee play like that before. However, for everything that he did well in that game - and he played out of his mind - he made the worst possible decision in that moment that directly led to the loss. That's on him. The Cowboys defense didn't force him to throw into triple coverage. That's on Romo sits to pee.

He gets the praise for throwing 5 TD's and over 500 yards...he should also get the blame for the 1 INT. That INT directly led to the loss.

OK, well I'll go so far as to predict that zoony doesn't believe Romo sits to pee won't win specific games or play well at times. I believe he's talking more big-picture and believes that, in Romo sits to pee, Dallas has a quarterback who hasn't shown he can consistently excel in big situations. If you think that Romo sits to pee beating a reeling, 1-3 team at home disproves that, I suppose that's fine.

I'll be honest with you.  Romo sits to pee is not the same QB he has been in years past.  He's better this year, by far IMO.  However, the thing that is still the same is the fact that the Cowboys Offense still depend on the passing game way too much.  If they simply use the running game more, they would be a much better Offense.  It seems like they almost depend on Romo sits to pee to play perfectly and if he does not, then the entire fan base is up in arms over it, half calling for his head because he did not play perfect football and the other half falling all over themselves to make excuses. 

You can't depend on that from any QB.  You have to play in a scheme where the team carries the load and not just a single player.  It's a single point of failure and that's a poor design IMO.

Disagree completely....the proximate cause of the Cowboys loss was the INT by Romo sits to pee. It was a tied game up till that point and Romo sits to pee made a boneheaded decision to throw into triple coverage. There was no defense in that game on either side, for each arguement to the contrary you can point to the poor performace by Denver as well because they had no answer for the Cowboys offense either. Denver won because they didn't make a back breaking mistake at the worst possible time. Romo sits to pee did.

To put the blame for the loss on Romo sits to pee's shoulders isn't taking away his unbelievable performance in that game. I've never seen Romo sits to pee play like that before. However, for everything that he did well in that game - and he played out of his mind - he made the worst possible decision in that moment that directly led to the loss. That's on him. The Cowboys defense didn't force him to throw into triple coverage. That's on Romo sits to pee.

He gets the praise for throwing 5 TD's and over 500 yards...he should also get the blame for the 1 INT. That INT directly led to the loss.

So if RGIII played in a game where he threw for 506 yards, completed 70% of his passes, posted a QBR of 140, threw for 5 TDs and 1 INT, put up 48 points and out played Payton Manning, you would tell me that it was RGIIIs fault the Skins lost the game?

I would not say that.  I would say that RGIII played a great game and somebody wearing a Burgandy and Gold Jersey, on the other side of the ball needs to sack up and help the guy.

Everybody sees things differently I guess.

I'll be honest with you.  Romo sits to pee is not the same QB he has been in years past.  He's better this year, by far IMO.  However, the thing that is still the same is the fact that the Cowboys Offense still depend on the passing game way too much.  If they simply use the running game more, they would be a much better Offense.  It seems like they almost depend on Romo sits to pee to play perfectly and if he does not, then the entire fan base is up in arms over it, half calling for his head because he did not play perfect football and the other half falling all over themselves to make excuses. 

You can't depend on that from any QB.  You have to play in a scheme where the team carries the load and not just a single player.  It's a single point of failure and that's a poor design IMO.

That makes plenty of sense and I agree that he's not a major issue for the Cowboys. However, let me ask you how you felt in a few recent game situations...

12/30/2012 @ Washington: Cowboys take over at their own 15 with 3:33 to go trailing 21-18.

10/06/2013 @ Dallas: Cowboys take over at their own 20 with 2:39 to go tied 48-48.

Did you believe that your quarterback was going to drive down for the game-tying/game-winning field goal in those situations or did you fear that he'd make a big mistake to cost your team the game?

He just seems to be a guy who will come up short in those situations more often than not. I still believe he's a good quarterback and capable of having monster games. But, with the game on the line, I think he's proven over several years that he won't get it done. If that's all a result of them putting too much on him, fine. I don't think asking him to score 22+ in DC last December was all that ridiculous.

Look, he played a near-flawless game vs. Denver. But his big mistake came at the worst time and that seems to happen over and over again. Unfortunately for Romo sits to pee, that will follow him until he stops making those mistakes.

So if RGIII played in a game where he threw for 506 yards, completed 70% of his passes, posted a QBR of 140, threw for 5 TDs and 1 INT, put up 48 points and out played Payton Manning, you would tell me that it was RGIIIs fault the Skins lost the game?

I would not say that.  I would say that RGIII played a great game and somebody wearing a Burgandy and Gold Jersey, on the other side of the ball needs to sack up and help the guy.

If that INT was the result of a horrible decision made by RG...yes...that INT and the subsequent loss would be RG's fault. It's a team game yes, so in the grand scheme of things yes the defense had a role to play in the loss. There are always counter-factuals available...if the defense did this...if the defense did that...if we didn't abandon the run...etc...However at that moment, it was 0-0 game. The Boys had multiple time outs. The Boys had the 2 minute warning yet to come to get a field goal and beat one of the greatest QB's of all time...Adding onto that the Boys clearly had the momentum playing at home. Romo sits to pee's poor decision directly led to the loss.

Romo sits to pee played phenomenally.

Both defenses were absent.

Peyton didn't make a back breaking mistake.

Romo sits to pee did.

That back breaking mistake is why the Boys lost.

First of all, I am not simply saying that the entire game was only Romo sits to pee's fault. He certainly contributed to the loss with his interception though, didn't he?

I'm a basketball player. Let's say I score 42 points, have 12 assists, and grab 10 rebounds against a great team and have my team up 2 with seconds to play. The opponent fouls me to stop the clock and hope the best. If I miss the foul shot and they come down and drain the game-winning three-pointer, didn't I have a major hand in that loss despite arguably being the only reason we had a shot to win?

It's not black and white. Romo sits to pee can both have played brilliantly and been a key reason the Cowboys lost to Denver.

Exactly. He had a 14-0 lead. On Peyton ****in' Manning. (Isn't that some sort of record too? j/k, but no one gets that fortunate.) You gotta make sure mistakes DO NOT HAPPEN, much less cause them.

If it was the first time he had made a huge mistake when he absolutely couldn't afford to then I probably would cut him some slack.  I was in a restaurant watching the game on Sunday and even though Romo sits to pee had had a huge game I heard from 5 or 6 guys at other tables that it was time for Romo sits to pee to pull a Romo sits to pee right before he did.   And yes the defense was the primary culprit for the loss but when Dallas absolutely couldn't afford to turn it over that's when bad Tony always rears his ugly head and Sunday was no exception. Everyone knew it was coming.

I swear that so many of you Cowboy fans have a serious case of selective amnesia.  This game was the perfect synopsis of Tony Romo sits to pee's career.  He puts up eye-popping numbers, and always has, but when the lights are the brightest his sphincter starts popping out diamonds.  The problem is that with Jerrah at the helm there are always a number of other things rationalizing Cowboy fans can point their fingers at.  Tony Romo sits to pee is great at putting his team in a great position to lose when it matters most.

If it was the first time he had made a huge mistake when he absolutely couldn't afford to then I probably would cut him some slack.  I was in a restaurant watching the game on Sunday and even though Romo sits to pee had had a huge game I heard from 5 or 6 guys at other tables that it was time for Romo sits to pee to pull a Romo sits to pee right before he did.   And yes the defense was the primary culprit for the loss but when Dallas absolutely couldn't afford to turn it over that's when bad Tony always rears his ugly head and Sunday was no exception. Everyone knew it was coming.

I swear that so many of you Cowboy fans have a serious case of selective amnesia.  This game was the perfect synopsis of Tony Romo sits to pee's career.  He puts up eye-popping numbers, and always has, but when the lights are the brightest his sphincter starts popping out diamonds.  The problem is that with Jerrah at the helm there are always a number of other things rationalizing Cowboy fans can point their fingers at.  Tony Romo sits to pee is great at putting his team in a great position to lose when it matters most.

LOL...I swear half of America called that INT. I was sitting in BWW and the play before Romo sits to pee threw the INT and I told the Bronco's fan sitting next to me to watch for an INT here...

Without fail.

I almost felt bad for the guy...he had the game of his life and jacked it all up at the last second.

First of all, I am not simply saying that the entire game was only Romo sits to pee's fault. He certainly contributed to the loss with his interception though, didn't he?

I'm a basketball player. Let's say I score 42 points, have 12 assists, and grab 10 rebounds against a great team and have my team up 2 with seconds to play. The opponent fouls me to stop the clock and hope the best. If I miss the foul shot and they come down and drain the game-winning three-pointer, didn't I have a major hand in that loss despite arguably being the only reason we had a shot to win?

It's not black and white. Romo sits to pee can both have played brilliantly and been a key reason the Cowboys lost to Denver.

Can't use Basketball because in Basketball, a player is responsible for both Offensive execution and Defensive Execution.  In Football, it's not like that. 

So nobody answered the question.  If RGIII puts up these kinds of numbers in a game and your D allows 51 points, you guys are going to say that it's on Griffin?

I think I was pretty clear in my explination.  The INT, IMO, absolutely was Romo sits to pee's mistake but that's not the reason we lost.  Seriously, you guys can not believe this.  I have to believe that you are just saying this to try and get a reaction.  

That's the only reasonable explination.

So nobody answered the question.  If RGIII puts up these kinds of numbers in a game and your D allows 51 points, you guys are going to say that it's on Griffin?

I think I was pretty clear in my explination.  The INT, IMO, absolutely was Romo sits to pee's mistake but that's not the reason we lost.  Seriously, you guys can not believe this.  I have to believe that you are just saying this to try and get a reaction.  

I answered that in the affirmative several posts above.

In a tied ballgame, with multiple timeouts and the 2-min warning yet to come the QB cannot turn the ball over.

That is why DAL lost....Denver played no D, Dallas played no D....you can't say that the main reason DAL lost was their defense when Denvers defense was just as bad. It's a wash.

Bottom line, the boys had the ball with enough time to get into FG position and win the game...Romo sits to pee failed them in that moment. That's the reason why you guys lost. If RG did the same thing...we would praise him for the 58 minutes that he played like a God...and we would roast him for the 1 second when he decided to force a throw and turn it over. Hell...we did that with the DET game. RG forced a throw leading to an INT and fumbled away another opportunity late in the game. While it is a team game and there were multiple reasosn why we lost that game...I would place the biggest reason being RG's poor decision making leading to 2 turnovers.

Romo sits to pee kept them in the game - and he should be praised for it.

Romo sits to pee turned the ball over - and he should be roasted for it.

You don't turn that ball over, I have all the confidence in the world that you win that game. Denver's D couldn't stop anyone on Sunday.

In that moment, it was a tied ball game. 0-0. It wasn't like Dallas was playing catch up. It wasn't like Dallas found itself in an enormous hole. They were matching punches with the greatest offense this league has seen in years. At that moment Romo sits to pee had the opportunity to lead a 4th quarter scoring drive to win the game...not tie it...win it. Romo sits to pee squandered that opportunity by forcing a throw that no QB in their right mind should had made.

Romo sits to pee was why you almost won the game, and Romo sits to pee is why you did lose.

I answered that in the affirmative several posts above.

In a tied ballgame, with multiple timeouts and the 2-min warning yet to come the QB cannot turn the ball over.

That is why DAL lost....Denver played no D, Dallas played no D....you can't say that the main reason DAL lost was their defense when Denvers defense was just as bad. It's a wash.

Bottom line, the boys had the ball with enough time to get into FG position and win the game...Romo sits to pee failed them in that moment. That's the reason why you guys lost. If RG did the same thing...we would praise him for the 58 minutes that he played like a God...and we would roast him for the 1 second when he decided to force a throw and turn it over.

Romo sits to pee kept them in the game - and he should be praised for it.

Romo sits to pee turned the ball over - and he should be roasted for it.

You don't turn that ball over, I have all the confidence in the world that you win that game. Denver's D couldn't stop anyone on Sunday.

In that moment, it was a tied ball game. 0-0. It wasn't like Dallas was playing catch up. It wasn't like Dallas found itself in an enormous hole. They were matching punches with the greatest offense this league has seen in years. At that moment Romo sits to pee had the opportunity to lead a 4th quarter scoring drive to win the game...not tie it...win it. Romo sits to pee squandered that opportunity by forcing a throw that no QB in their right mind should had made.

Romo sits to pee was why you almost won the game, and Romo sits to pee is why you did lose.

Auhhh...... yeah I can.  It was the D and Romo sits to pee didn't keep them in the game, he actually had the lead almost the entire 4th quarter.  It was the D who did not show up IMO.

You can say Romo sits to pee had to play a perfect game and he didn't do that but honestly, if your QB has to play perfect football every time out, then you got a system that is destined to fail.  That's just not reasonable. 

There have been games that Romo sits to pee has lost, because of his play but this was not one of them. 

Auhhh...... yeah I can.  It was the D and Romo sits to pee didn't keep them in the game, he actually had the lead almost the entire 4th quarter.  It was the D who did not show up IMO.

You can say Romo sits to pee had to play a perfect game and he didn't do that but honestly, if your QB has to play perfect football every time out, then you got a system that is destined to fail.  That's just not reasonable. 

There have been games that Romo sits to pee has lost, because of his play but this was not one of them. 

Agree to disagree buddy...0-0 ballgame with 2 minutes to go, 2 timeouts, momentum and playing at home, against a defense that couldn't stop a fruit fly...you don't force a throw into triple coverage. That INT is all on Tony. That INT, at that time, lost the Cowboys the game. Romo sits to pee played lights out for 58 mins....and then at the last second threw it all away....literally.

When both D's were absent and the Cowboys have the ball with a chance to win the game...and Tony throws an INT deep in their own terrirtory....that was ball game. That's on Tony. That loss is on Tony. Could the defenses have stepped up? Yes...but since both defenses were as porous as a seive...its a wash. Peyton didn't throw an INT at the worst time and lost the ball game, Tony did.

Tony was playing a perfect game up till that point. Peyton was playing a near perfect game himself. If the situation was reversed...and it was Peyton who threw the INT - not because of a phenomenal defensive play, but because of a ****ty decision, I would say that it was Peyton's fault because he forced the throw and handed the Cowboys the ballgame.

Can't use Basketball because in Basketball, a player is responsible for both Offensive execution and Defensive Execution.  In Football, it's not like that. 

Of course I can use basketball...I didn't say it was a perfect analogy, just that you can both play a great game and still have a hand in your team losing a game. I would agree that Romo sits to pee's interception was not the reason that Dallas lost. But his interception was absolutely a reason that they lost. Maybe we're saying the same thing. You don't get a pass just because you played well earlier in the game.

To answer your question, I would heap some blame on Griffin in that exact same situation. I would feel bad for him, but would acknowlege that he could have had a hand in preventing that loss.

Last year the Redskins played the Giants in NY (I think it was October). They lost 27-23 on a late Cruz TD catch...I'm sure you remember it. Griffin had just converted a 4th-and-10 and later hit Moss to beat a blitz to put us up 23-20 with less than 2 minutes to play. Despite those heroics and the unfortunate defensive letdown, Griffin deserves some blame for that loss because he turned the ball over on back to back second half drives deep in New York territory.

It most certainly was a game he lost. If RG3 threw for 600 yards and 6TDs but had had the ball in a tie game with 2min left and multiple timeouts and throws a horrible interception, its his fault if they lost. He messed up. Sure you would expect the defense to play better and RG3 might have been the only reason they had a chance to win but his actions at the end are the sole reason they can't win. 

I've argued with my friend over this many times especially concerning the NFC East title game last season. He said Romo sits to pee can't do it all etc defense has to stop somebody. Point being, Romo sits to pee had the ball down 3 with 3min to go and timeouts and still threw an awful interception that cost them the game. 

The same thing happened on Sunday. Sometimes the defense won't show up. Sometimes WR drop passes etc. Sometimes, despite all of what has happened for the previous 58 minutes, you have the ball in your hands with a chance to win at the end of a game. At that point, everything that happened prior to that really doesn't matter. The TD passes you thrown, the turnovers you've cost your team, all that is behind you and irrelevant since you have fought them to a standstill with a chance to win. That game is on you. Make it happen. We have seen time and time again, he can't. 

It most certainly was a game he lost. If RG3 threw for 600 yards and 6TDs but had had the ball in a tie game with 2min left and multiple timeouts and throws a horrible interception, its his fault if they lost. He messed up. Sure you would expect the defense to play better and RG3 might have been the only reason they had a chance to win but his actions at the end are the sole reason they can't win. 

I've argued with my friend over this many times especially concerning the NFC East title game last season. He said Romo sits to pee can't do it all etc defense has to stop somebody. Point being, Romo sits to pee had the ball down 3 with 3min to go and timeouts and still threw an awful interception that cost them the game. 

The same thing happened on Sunday. Sometimes the defense won't show up. Sometimes WR drop passes etc. Sometimes, despite all of what has happened for the previous 58 minutes, you have the ball in your hands with a chance to win at the end of a game. At that point, everything that happened prior to that really doesn't matter. The TD passes you thrown, the turnovers you've cost your team, all that is behind you and irrelevant since you have fought them to a standstill with a chance to win. That game is on you. Make it happen. We have seen time and time again, he can't. 

This. Fo. Sho

In 2011, RG3 did just that against Kansas State. Look at how he handled the situation:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312742306

I think its absolutely fair to say that you cannot expect Romo sits to pee, or any other QB for that matter to play a perfect game. That's unreasonable.

I also think it's fair to criticize Romo sits to pee, or any other QB for that matter for throwing an INT when you are tied with your opponent with under 3 minutes to go and all you have to do is drive your team into field goal range. I would absolutely pin that on Griffin if he had done the same thing. 

Romo sits to pee has thrown these kind of game killing INTs time and time again. It's a pattern. It's a player trait. Whats funny is I bet Romo sits to pee's QB rating for that 4th Q is probably pretty good. People love to bring up his 4th Q passer rating. in these discussions. In an honest QB evaluation, any 4th quarter that ends with a QB throwing a game killing INT would show a low rating. A game killing INT should factor heavily. It doesn't, though and that's how statistics lie. 

Hey Zoony,

Will be interesting to see if you feel the same after Sunday's game. 

the redskins have sucked so far this year.  the cowboys have sucked slightly less.  not sure what any of that has to do with your Pablo Piccasso of choke artistry that you have at QB.

Tony Romo sits to pee, in typical fashion had a good game which was capped off by one of his personal failures. Anybody can try to twist it any way they can, and they will. People have been making excuses for him for his entire career.

"OH-MY-GOD-HE-THREW-5-TOUCHDOWNS-AND-A-TRILLION-YARDS..."

Yeah, all of which means nothing at all because when it really mattered and he couldn't possibly make a mistake and still redeem himself, he made a mistake. Just like he did in Washington last season, just like he did in the playoffs against New York that year, just like he did in the playoffs against Seattle, just like he has in countless regular season games. Just like all those other times people come running in and talk about his QB rating and records he's set and how football is a team game, and maybe talk about some of his clutch game ending plays. What they don't want to talk about are game ending plays like these:

2006 Seattle playoffs loss

2007 Eagles 10-6 loss (Intercepted with 2:00 left)

2007 Giants R.W. McQuarters pick in the end zone

2008 Pittsburgh, Romo sits to pee throws a pick 6 late up 13-3, then 4 straight incompletions. Cowboys lose 20-13

2009 Denver 17-10 Romo sits to pee fails miserably on 3 straight passes from the 8 yard line in the final moments

2010 Tennessee Romo sits to pee leads a comeback after a terrible INT early in the game, gets the ball back with a minute to tie, has his 1st pass intercepted.

2010 Minnesota Romo sits to pee ties the game with a late TD pass, gets the ball back, and proceeds to throw an interception which gives the winning FG to the Vikings. The game ends on an illegal forward pass from Romo sits to pee.

2011 Jets Romo sits to pee fails miserably, Dallas blows 14 point lead.

2012 ROB JACKSON.

Those are just the close ones he lost. He's lost a lot where he fumbled and was intercepted multiple times, but he's also won plenty with gaudy statistics.

The guy has blown a lot of close games. Take that list and compare it to the number of games blown by other QB's of comparable statistics and his is at least twice as long as everyone else.

that was ****ing funny  :lol:

weird to me how much cowboy & 'skins fan have in common the last dozen years in terms of shared disappointment and falling out of the upper tiers (when they do get close to being there) so consistently for so long

At least the Skins are trying to do the right thing. But I hear you. You have Obama trying to change your team's name and I have Jerruh. Trade? 

Archived