Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Tony Romo Was Tony Romo, Until He Was Tony Romo

Gymratfwp

Great article about the DAL-DEN game yesterday...didn't want it lost in the sauce in the gameday thread...if the mods disagree and decide to move it I apologize.

I mentioned this in the gameday thread but if there was ever a game that better encapsulated a QB's career...it was this one for Romo sits to pee.

One of the best performances by a pair of QB's that I've ever seen.

"It should be enough to say Romo sits to pee was godlike for 58 minutes and boneheaded for one split-second."

Unbelievable game as a fan in general and glad for the Dallas loss as a Skins fan.

I'm looking forward to this week and hoping for a win against what must be a deflated Dallas team.

http://deadspin.com/tony-Romo sits to pee-was-tony-Romo sits to pee-until-he-was-tony-Romo sits to pee-1441936222

Enjoy,

Hail.

Romo sits to pee tossed a pick, which we all expected him to do because he's Romo sits to pee, but really it's the cowboy defense that should come away feeling like they gave the game away. A team shouldn't lose when their offense puts up 48 points. The Broncos defense came up with a big play at the end but they didn't exactly put up a performance to be proud of either.

This is not to say that Romo sits to pee's choke job was ok or somehow not that bad. It was bad. Well, it was objectively bad anyway. I'm pretty sure fans of every other team in the NFC East thought it was terrific. I know I did.

While the game was entertaining to watch it was also too much like a college game for my liking. Defense should be more than a turnover here and there. The Cowboys were forced to punt once and the Broncos never had to. That's pathetic. I refuse to refer to that game as being "great" or anything of the sort. It was what Goodell wants the NFL to look like, a scoring flurry to attract casual fans that like to clap and celebrate without really knowing what the hell is going on.

That summarizes my thoughts exactly. Romo sits to pee was great yesterday but should also shoulder a good amount of the blame. It's like a basketball player who goes off for 50 point only to choke on potential game-icing foul shots. Yes, you're only in the game because of what he contributed, but he also had a hand in losing the game as well. It's not all that complicated an analysis.

Romo sits to pee tossed a pick, which we all expected him to do because he's Romo sits to pee, but really it's the cowboy defense that should come away feeling like they gave the game away.  A team shouldn't lose when their offense puts up 48 points.  The Broncos defense came up with a big play at the end but they didn't exactly put up a performance to be proud of either.  

This is not to say that Romo sits to pee's choke job was ok or somehow not that bad.  It was bad.  Well, it was objectively bad anyway.  I'm pretty sure teams of every other team in the NFC East thought it was terrific.  I know I did.  

While the game was entertaining to watch it was also too much like a college game for my liking.  Defense should be more than a turnover here and there.  The Cowboys were forced to punt once and the Broncos never had to.  That's pathetic.  I refuse to refer to that game as being "great" or anything of the sort.  It was what Goodell wants the NFL to look like, a scoring flurry to attract casual fans that like to clap and celebrate without really knowing what the hell is going on.  

Damn.  That was probably the best post I have seen on a message board regarding both Romo sits to pee and the NFL (as a whole).  Defensive players have little value at the moment and I don't like it.  I love great defense and I wish the rest of the world would say the same.

It was all set up for Romo sits to pee to come out the hero. To shut all the naysayers up. At least for a week. 

It's basically 0-0 with 2:44 left to drive your team the length of the field and win the game. You don't even need to put it in the endzone. Just get into FG range. 

Personally, I think the moment was too big for him. He probably felt as much pressure on him as a game that's win or go home. 

To me Tony does not have the heart of a Champion. He does not have the mental makeup to win a Championship. 

If you study that Series, a couple of things jump out at you.  1. The Cowboys totally abandoned the run and it's interesting because Denver did exactly the opposite.  The Cowboys actually had a better running game, from the perspective of YPC.  They averaged 3.7 to Denver's 3.3.  The difference was that Denver stuck with the running game and Dallas' last running play was with about 3:30 seconds in the 3rd quarter.  Why was that important?  2.  Denver stopped playing the run in the 4th quarter.  If you watch that final Dallas Series, you will notice that Denver completely disregarded the run and it resulted a sack on 1st down, creating a 2nd and 16 and an INT on 2nd down.  The interesting thing here is that if you watch that play, you will see that Denver's D drops straight into coverage.  They don't even look for the run.  They send a 3 man rush but those guys do nothing but bull rush the OL.  Romo sits to pee actually has good protection on that play but he feels pressure coming from his Right side, which makes him step up in the pocket. The rush is actually pushed beyond Romo sits to pee and is not a threat but, it forces Romo sits to pee to move up in the pocket and that creates the issue with Smith.  Romo sits to pee actually steps on Smith's foot, which throws him off balance and he kinda falls into the Center.  That ball is probably not intercepted if Romo sits to pee does not lose his balance but the thing here is that if Dallas doesn't abandon the run, The Cowboys could probably have run successfully on either 1st or 2nd down and either gotten a 1st or put themselves in good position to convert on 3rd.  Which brings us to 3.  If you look at that play, you will see that to the left of Escobar and the eventual pick, Murray is standing all alone, by himself, in the middle of the field but Romo sits to pee never sees him because Smith is in his field of view.  If he doesn't step up, into the pocket, he probably sees Murray easily and makes that throw which would have likely resulted in a 1st down or a 3rd and short because nobody was around him for 10 yards.

That's football I guess.

If you study that Series, a couple of things jump out at you.  1. The Cowboys totally abandoned the run and it's interesting because Denver did exactly the opposite.  The Cowboys actually had a better running game, from the perspective of YPC.  They averaged 3.7 to Denver's 3.3.  The difference was that Denver stuck with the running game and Dallas' last running play was with about 3:30 seconds in the 3rd quarter.  Why was that important?  2.  Denver stopped playing the run in the 4th quarter.  If you watch that final Dallas Series, you will notice that Denver completely disregarded the run and it resulted a sack on 1st down, creating a 2nd and 16 and an INT on 2nd down.  The interesting thing here is that if you watch that play, you will see that Denver's D drops straight into coverage.  They don't even look for the run.  They send a 3 man rush but those guys do nothing but bull rush the OL.  Romo sits to pee actually has good protection on that play but he feels pressure coming from his Right side, which makes him step up in the pocket. The rush is actually pushed beyond Romo sits to pee and is not a threat but, it forces Romo sits to pee to move up in the pocket and that creates the issue with Smith.  Romo sits to pee actually steps on Smith's foot, which throws him off balance and he kinda falls into the Center.  That ball is probably not intercepted if Romo sits to pee does not lose his balance but the thing here is that if Dallas doesn't abandon the run, The Cowboys could probably have run successfully on either 1st or 2nd down and either gotten a 1st or put themselves in good position to convert on 3rd.  Which brings us to 3.  If you look at that play, you will see that to the left of Escobar and the eventual pick, Murray is standing all alone, by himself, in the middle of the field but Romo sits to pee never sees him because Smith is in his field of view.  If he doesn't step up, into the pocket, he probably sees Murray easily and makes that throw which would have likely resulted in a 1st down or a 3rd and short because nobody was around him for 10 yards.

That's football I guess.

I also noticed Murray was open. What is surprising is that was probably the only pass Romo sits to pee threw towards a covered receiver all day. Guys were running wide open in the secondary all day and he had the time to find the one that was open. The few times everyone was covered, he took the sack or ran. But on that last play, the perceived pressure (both perceived pocket pressure and the pressure of the moment,)and just tried to throw to his safety blanket. The problem is he was never open and was surrounded by 3 defenders. Meanwhile, Murray is by himself and probably runs to pick up 8 - 10 yds to make it 3rd and manageable. It is just football and on just about every play just one thing a little different and the whole game could change.

With Romo sits to pee, it's always the same thing. Great game for most of the game, followed by a bad mistake at the critical time.  Bad game against a mediocre team, and he'll make a few throws to make people believe in him again. Then he'll have the great game, and the bad decision at the end.  I certainly enjoy it.

I also noticed Murray was open. What is surprising is that was probably the only pass Romo sits to pee threw towards a covered receiver all day. Guys were running wide open in the secondary all day and he had the time to find the one that was open. The few times everyone was covered, he took the sack or ran. But on that last play, the perceived pressure (both perceived pocket pressure and the pressure of the moment,)and just tried to throw to his safety blanket. The problem is he was never open and was surrounded by 3 defenders. Meanwhile, Murray is by himself and probably runs to pick up 8 - 10 yds to make it 3rd and manageable. It is just football and on just about every play just one thing a little different and the whole game could change.

With Romo sits to pee, it's always the same thing. Great game for most of the game, followed by a bad mistake at the critical time.  Bad game against a mediocre team, and he'll make a few throws to make people believe in him again. Then he'll have the great game, and the bad decision at the end.  I certainly enjoy it.

I think the real problem with the Cowboys Offense is that they fall in love with the pass too often.  I mean, if the Cowboys just run, that entire game probably plays out different.  Romo sits to pee honestly had one of the best games I've ever seen a QB have last Sunday.  He had a better day then did Manning, who also had a great game.  However, and this is key to me, that game was not all on Manning.  If you look at the last two drives for Denver, they run 10 plays on the drive they score a TD on, 5 passes and 5 runs.  On the last drive, the one they kick the winning FG on, they run 7 plays, 5 runs and 2 passes.  This kept the Dallas D honest and off balance all day.  The Cowboys did exactly the opposite and they make Romo sits to pee have to win the game and play flawless football.  That is just not realistic in the NFL.  You can play great but nobody can play mistake free all the time and thats what it takes because the Cowboys don't share the load enough.  until they learn this, it's always going to be a problem against good teams and even middle of the road teams.

I'm a life long Cowboy fan but this is the truth in my opinion.

The fact that Romo sits to pee still has cowboy fans believing in him so vehemently should tell you that Tony Romo sits to pee is the single greatest gift to Washington Redskin ever

He keeps them on the hook. It is just beautiful. There are no words...

The fact that Romo sits to pee still has cowboy fans believing in him so vehemently should tell you that Tony Romo sits to pee is the single greatest gift to Washington Redskin ever

He's the Norv Turner of QBs.  There is always an excuse for him.  He's the QB and he gets paid the big money.  You could probably excuse him if this was the first time, but this stuff happens all the time.  It is insane.  Romo sits to pee is put in this position over and over again.  Why do people expect a different outcome?

Hey Zoony,

Will be interesting to see if you feel the same after Sunday's game. 

It was all set up for Romo sits to pee to come out the hero. To shut all the naysayers up. At least for a week. 

It's basically 0-0 with 2:44 left to drive your team the length of the field and win the game. You don't even need to put it in the endzone. Just get into FG range. 

Personally, I think the moment was too big for him. He probably felt as much pressure on him as a game that's win or go home. 

To me Tony does not have the heart of a Champion. He does not have the mental makeup to win a Championship. 

A couple of seasons ago, I would have fought against any statement like this, but I've been burned too many times. I now know better. Romo sits to pee is the epitome of the heartbreak QB. But more than that, he plays for an owner who has been on a close to 20-year superbowl hangover. It's a combination that will never work. 

Nothing short of a HC/GM combo blowing up the whole team and starting over will break whatever curse hangs over the Cowboys Nation. I have accepted it and feel liberated because of it. 

So sick yet so true. In my pocket, I have a snazzy comeback that is sure to get under your skin and force you to hit the ban button. Wait, that was just a piece of lint. My bad. 

After Peyton Manning threw the pick, I took off to Great America with a friend and was following the game on my phone.

As soon as Denver tied the game with under 3 minutes to go, my friend and I were like "It's Romo sits to pee time, either a pick or sack-fumble, right?"  The very next time i glanced down at my phone for an update.  Romo sits to pee pass intended for..........Intercepted by.

Look, you can blame the Dallas defense all you want, but once again Romo sits to pee had the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game.  Sometimes games are shootouts. That is just a fact of reality.

When the Redskins beat the Raven's last year, you could look at 100 different reasons the score was what it was when it went to OT, but the bottomline is good teams find a way to win those games.

On Romo sits to pee's pick, Murray was wide open in the flat with 15 yards of open field in front of him, but Romo sits to pee did his classic movie in a pressure situation and tried to force the ball into a place that was not available, while another guy probably gets that ball to midfield.

It was another poor decision by Romo sits to pee in crunch time.  Romo sits to pee gonna Romo sits to pee. 

I guess we'll know Sunday.

Nah, Sunday won't change anything. Romo sits to pee's reputation will never change because he'll never win a Super Bowl on an average, poorly disciplined team while he gets older every year. Meanwhile, if the Cowboys beat us, they'll be back at .500. Whee!

My husband's desk is behind the couch.  Right before that series, I turned around & said, "Time for a Romo sits to pee"...he knew what that meant, and BAM...it happened!  (We watched him in a ProAm with Tiger, and 2 putts lipped out.  Hubby knows what "chokin' Romo sits to pee" is, even though it took me YEARS to make him see that yes, it always happens.) :D

"If I told Tony Romo sits to pee that he had 500 yards & 41 points but still wasn't winning the game...." I think it was Verne that said it, I can't remember.  But how prophetic! 

If we're the only team in our division to beat the Broncos, there will be no peeling me off the ceiling. 

Hail!

So sick yet so true. In my pocket, I have a snazzy comeback that is sure to get under your skin and force you to hit the ban button. Wait, that was just a piece of lint. My bad. 

that was ****ing funny  :lol:

weird to me how much cowboy & 'skins fan have in common the last dozen years in terms of shared disappointment and falling out of the upper tiers (when they do get close to being there) so consistently for so long

You're assuming that the Cowboys will win. That's far from a guarantee, despite how badly we've played. We both know how screwy the NFL can be. Don't get too comfortable.

Not at all.  I take nothing for granted.  If you are asking me if I think we will win, then yes.  I do think we will win but I am not taking that for granted by any stretch. 

You're assuming that the Cowboys will win. That's far from a guarantee, despite how badly we've played. We both know how screwy the NFL can be. Don't get too comfortable.

I think the Romo sits to pee issues are deeper than whether he can beat us this coming Sunday. Romo sits to pee will always win plenty of games and put up very good numbers. The key attribute that he lacks is the ability to perform consistently in crunch time.

So, when the Cowboys win by 14-17 points on Sunday night, that won't mean that Romo sits to pee is suddenly a champion. But, when they once again finish with 8-10 wins and bow out early in the playoffs, it will validate that he will probably only go so far. He'll win a few key games between now and when he retires (Hell, our Skins won a division last year...anything is possible). But when all is said and done, he'll probably have a losing record in key games and come up small more often than not in clutch situations.

Not at all.  I take nothing for granted.  If you are asking me if I think we will win, then yes.  I do think we will win but I am not taking that for granted by any stretch. 

Do you think a win on Sunday night vs. Washington changes what Zoony posted?

Archived