Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Biggest Complaints About Rg3

HogHeaven1983

First off, I wanted to say that RG3 is the best QB we've had since perhaps the skins glory years in the 1980s and early 1990s.   And it's a lot of fun having someone with this much talent drafted and watching them develop.

That being said there are a few things that bother me about RG3. I admit I am getting nit picky, but what else is there to do during a bye week.

1.  I wish RG3 had better pocket awareness.  There are times when RG3 just holds the ball too long.  And sometimes I feel like he doesnt have the awareness of people around him the way Andrew Luck has or even Russell Wilson.  I am not sure if that is something you are born with or if you can work on it, but I wish he would try to improve that.

2.  RG3 is just terrible at sliding.  How can such a premier world class athlete not know how to slide.  Even when he hurt his knee last year in the Ravens game.  His slide was so uncoordinated and "gangly" with his limbs flailing that it actually caused his injury by exposing his leg up in the air (so it could be run over by a mack truck).  He needs to improve his sliding and go down feet first and not head first (to take the fumble possibility away)

3.  I wish RG3 was more aware of his own body and his own health.   After the Browns game last year, RG3 was complaining bitterly about how he was "healthy" and "could have easily played" -- then we all got to see over the final 3 games where he did play just how hurt he still was.   Is his ego so big that he has to lobby everyone in order to get his starting position back?   Why doesn't he have more awareness about his own health and he can say, you know I am not ready to play, i need time to heal.   I think if he didn't lobby Shanahan so hard in the Seahawks playoff game last year about there being a difference between being "hurt" and being "injured" that he might have been pulled earlier in the game before suffering even more damage to his knee.  

Then this whole scenario repeated this pre-season where RG3 almost seem to throw tantrums in front of the press about how he is healthy and didn't understand why he was being held out of the preseason.   And that he better be starting for Phily because "promises were made".   Where is his thought of what is best for team ?   Instead of what is best for his ego or himself.    I think that RG3 could use a good dose of humility and awareness of his own body.   Perhaps that will come with age, after all he's only what? 22 or 23 years old.  

Finally, if RG3 is not healthy enough to have good passing mechanics (like being able to push off on his bad knee) ... then he's not ready to play.  I think a lot of his poor showing in the first 4 games can be attributed to bad mechanics from still not being healthy. 

Anyway, that is my wish list for RG3.

Its mental man, once he stops playing scared he will be ok

if it's true that he's scared.  then he should just admit that ... that he doesn't have confidence in his knee yet.  There is no shame in sitting out and healing until you have 100% confidence in your injury.  Why lobby so hard to rush back, just to be "scared" in the pocket.  I honestly think the problem is not mental but physical.   His mechanics are awful and you can clearly see him favoring/protecting his hurt knee.  Most of this throws this year are all arm and no leg.

The Skins had some decent QBs.  Trent Green, is a recent one that comes to mind.  He had some spectacular seasons with KC until concussions ended his career.

Come to think of it, while Stan Humphries didn't have an ideal QB body, after being cut by the Skins, had a decent career for the San Diego Chargers.  As a matter of fact, he took them to the Super Bowl. 

RG III is way overhyped.  He is not in the same league as Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson.  Part of this is because he is PLAYING scared!

I was not and will not ever be happy about trading so much for a single player because we are just an injury away from being left with nothing. And now look at what we have, a multimillion dollar player playing like the average 4th rounder. There are many teams winning with a lot lesser valued player. Yes we can possible turn it around this year but if we dont, we just give the Rams a better player with each loss. A team that we have to contend against.The other thing, that knee will always be in the back of his mind, ALWAYS!  

I totally disagree with all of that.

1) His bad pocket awearness is coming strictly from the injury and rust. Again, when was it bad before the injury? It wasnt. Dont rip him on that after 4 games, al 4 in which the line has been suspect. People forget how long he hasnt played as himself. They just think about the Seahawks game but it goes all the way back to Bmore. Its been that long since he's been healthy and he's obviously still not there. He's working himself back but he's gotta get use to the game speed, that brace, and just playing again while being relatively healthy. How can people act like his injury is having nothing to do with this? Its like Dilfer criticizing him after the Seahawks game because he had bad reads & missed throws. The knee effects your throws. It also effects your reads because you are thinking about the knee, hesitant in everything you do, and you can feel that you are playing at lesser strength than everyone else. When all that comes back then his pocket awearness will be great again.

2) I also dont know why people rip these guys for being bad at sliding. When has he ever had to slide in his life? Never. Then the thing that people overlook is how fast RG3 is. I hate it how guys dont cut somone like RG3 or Vick some slack when they never had to slide before the pros and they run a 4.3    I can only imagine how hard it would be to run 4.3 and then stop on a dime to slide. Its easy if your Brady or Manning and are running slow. Anyone can do that in there house but if you are running flat out like a World Class Sprinter and are trying to get away from people, then while youre at top speed you have to in an instant come to a complete stop when youve never ever done it before. That is not as easy as people think.

3) He's a competetitor. Thats one of the biggest reason why I disagree with Bryants article. This guy played on a gimp leg to try to get us to the SB. Sure it was dumb and he realizes that now. He's young. At the time though, he thought that this Franchise had been nothing in the last 2 decades and felt that he could get us to the SB, one leg or not. We won 7 in a row, he was the ROY, some had him in conversation for POY, and we were trying to win every single game to get in and then advance. How can people rip him for that when it was nothing but positive? Now if you say you didnt like him not giving Kirk a chance if he knew he wasnt healthy then thats one thing but its also on the Coach. You pull him if he's not right. A competitor wants to play, espically when the playoffs/championship is on the line

First off, I wanted to say that RG3 is the best QB we've had since perhaps the skins glory years in the 1980s and early 1990s.   And it's a lot of fun having someone with this much talent drafted and watching them develop.

That being said there are a few things that bother me about RG3. I admit I am getting nit picky, but what else is there to do during a bye week.

1.  I wish RG3 had better pocket awareness.  There are times when RG3 just holds the ball too long.  And sometimes I feel like he doesnt have the awareness of people around him the way Andrew Luck has or even Russell Wilson.  I am not sure if that is something you are born with or if you can work on it, but I wish he would try to improve that.

2.  RG3 is just terrible at sliding.  How can such a premier world class athlete not know how to slide.  Even when he hurt his knee last year in the Ravens game.  His slide was so uncoordinated and "gangly" with his limbs flailing that it actually caused his injury by exposing his leg up in the air (so it could be run over by a mack truck).  He needs to improve his sliding and go down feet first and not head first (to take the fumble possibility away)

3.  I wish RG3 was more aware of his own body and his own health.   After the Browns game last year, RG3 was complaining bitterly about how he was "healthy" and "could have easily played" -- then we all got to see over the final 3 games where he did play just how hurt he still was.   Is his ego so big that he has to lobby everyone in order to get his starting position back?   Why doesn't he have more awareness about his own health and he can say, you know I am not ready to play, i need time to heal.   I think if he didn't lobby Shanahan so hard in the Seahawks playoff game last year about there being a difference between being "hurt" and being "injured" that he might have been pulled earlier in the game before suffering even more damage to his knee.  

Then this whole scenario repeated this pre-season where RG3 almost seem to throw tantrums in front of the press about how he is healthy and didn't understand why he was being held out of the preseason.   And that he better be starting for Phily because "promises were made".   Where is his thought of what is best for team ?   Instead of what is best for his ego or himself.    I think that RG3 could use a good dose of humility and awareness of his own body.   Perhaps that will come with age, after all he's only what? 22 or 23 years old.  

Finally, if RG3 is not healthy enough to have good passing mechanics (like being able to push off on his bad knee) ... then he's not ready to play.  I think a lot of his poor showing in the first 4 games can be attributed to bad mechanics from still not being healthy. 

Anyway, that is my wish list for RG3.

1.  It's hard to have pocket awarness when you are getting pressured before you finish your dropback - when he's given a decent pocket , he's pretty good at feeling the rush, stepping up, sliding lide/right in the pocket etc.

2. I agree

3. I agree

People are stupid.  Where was any of this talk last year prior to the injury?  Give the guy some time and he'll be fine.  And it's not like he's playing terrible.  Right now, he's a little above average out there I'd say.  Pretty soon he'll be back to the star that we all know and love.  Now sit down and shut up.

The Skins had some decent QBs.  Trent Green, is a recent one that comes to mind.  He had some spectacular seasons with KC until concussions ended his career.

Come to think of it, while Stan Humphries didn't have an ideal QB body, after being cut by the Skins, had a decent career for the San Diego Chargers.  As a matter of fact, he took them to the Super Bowl. 

RG III is way overhyped.  He is not in the same league as Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson.  Part of this is because he is PLAYING scared!

Overhyped? He just had arguably the greatest rookie season of all time. You're right, he's not in the same league, he's better.

I have been a Redskins fan for 37 years and the last quarterback I remembering any good before Griffin was Brad Johnson. He has had some problems this year because of his knee but if he had an offensive line and more than one WR and a defense that could stop anybody so he didn't have to pass on every play because he is always so far behind he would look a lot better even though he is still only about 60% healthy. He is the least of the Redskins problems and anyone that thinks he is needs to think about John Beck, Rex Grossman, Heath Shuler, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerful and so on.    

God I couldn't disagree with you more.  Last year, before he got hurt, he was better than Luck, better than Wilson. Easily and noticeably better. I remember watching the SB with my dad and it was the first time we had watched Kaepernick together.  About a quarter in, both of us had the same thought: RGIII is better than Kaepernick, the SB-starting QB.  RGIII wasn't just a little bit better, he was clearly better. 

Is he better this year? No. But like I keep saying, when I was growing up, when an athlete blew out his knee, in ANY sport, he always got a year to come back. He always got a pass when he struggled at first. "Just be patient, give him time, it takes a year." Similar to how we see Tommy John surgery now with pitchers in baseball (though really, they get TWO years to come back all the way from that--See Zimmermann, J. this season.--and Strasburg next season :) ).  Peterson kind of ****ed that up for everyone last year, but there's a reason they call him Purple Jesus.

I fully believed then and still believe today, that when it's all said and done, IF he keeps his health long term, RGIII will go down as the best Skins QB since Baugh. I really believe that. He's the complete package--he's just been hamstrung this season coming off a major injury.

I was not and will not ever be happy about trading so much for a single player because we are just an injury away from being left with nothing. And now look at what we have, a multimillion dollar player playing like the average 4th rounder. There are many teams winning with a lot lesser valued player. Yes we can possible turn it around this year but if we dont, we just give the Rams a better player with each loss. A team that we have to contend against.The other thing, that knee will always be in the back of his mind, ALWAYS!  

Hold your horses debbie downer

What the hell are you talking about?  RG3 doesn't play scared at all.  And looking at the career numbers of Wilson, Luck, and RG3, its the opposite...they aren't in RG3's league.

No wonder I hate coming to this board...dumb posts like this.

This is a joke. Yeah Wilson is really tearing the league up this year. Put a healthy RG3 on that stacked Seattle team the last two years and you would see how superior he is.

"Tearing it up" is a stretch. He has 2 games already this season with a passer rating below 65. The talent surrounding him on the Seahawks is just ridiculous.

This is a joke. Yeah Wilson is really tearing the league up this year. Put a healthy RG3 on that stacked Seattle team the last two years and you would see how superior he is.

"Tearing it up" is a stretch. He has 2 games already this season with a passer rating below 65. The talent surrounding him on the Seahawks is just ridiculous.

internet sarcasm got you down?

He's not better than Luck. C'mon.

Strongly disagree. RG3 looked way better than Luck last year, and so far this year Luck has hardly done anything to separate himself from RG3, who isn't even back to form yet from his knee injury. By the end of the season I expect RG3 to be close to last years level of play. What in your eyes makes you think Luck is so much better than RG3 anyway? You still stuck on the ESPN hype for Andrew Luck while he was at Stanford?

Wilson has no business in this conversation. None. Luck and Grif are pretty close. Id say Grif outplayed Luck last season, but Luck will be more durable. Is that a push? Im fine with that, but considering we are barely out of these guys rookie seasons, there is no way to tell who will be better.

Griffin is coming off a major surgery in record (something he likes to break more often than the other group of qbs mentioned) time. If he looks like the Griff of last year in Dallas, he will have done what the greatest RB in 20 years hasdone and that is amazing.

Relax, he'll be back any day now.

Archived