Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillymag.com: Billy Davis Not Exactly Brimming With Confidence

Califan007 The Constipated

I respect his honesty. Im predicting Davis to have a big game taking advantage of there LB's in this new system.

- Be calm and redskins on 

I think that's a good call. Heavy TE sets keeping Philly in their base defense, a heavy dose of Albert and motion isolating Davis and maybe Reed on their OLBs who will be lost in space. If Philly roll a safety to cover the TE that gives you single coverage outside and also leaves that void in the middle of the field behind the linebackers off play action.

We will score points on the Eagles but lets not sleep on their offense which is more of an unknown and has the potential to be productive.

Agree with everything here except the Cofield analysis. :)

As to your first point, Cofield hasn't "elevated" his game much, in my opinion, he's been an excellent NT since he's been here. But I'm not sure if, what you meant by saying he's "elevated his game", is that he's just gotten more comfortable as time has went on - because I totally agree with that.  

As to the second point, Cofield doesn't really push anyone back unless he's one on one with a guy. His style of "pushing back" is all about side stepping, hand placement (especially his great hand swiping ability) and elusiveness. It looks different, but accomplishes exactly the same thing.

Sorry for nitpicking, there, lol. I just think Cofield's game is misunderstood here and he's one of my favorite players on this team. :)

I read an article about the Skins recently and they said Cofield was "criminally underrated"...thought you'd like that lol.

In contrast to this article on Billy Davis, Haslett has a little bit of his mojo back it seems, lol. Check this article out:

ASHBURN – Jim Haslett combed through every meticulous detail of two dozen Oregon games during the summer and supplemented his knowledge over the past four weeks by poring over the Eagles’ four preseason games.

Just a few days out from the Redskins’ season opener against the Eagles, the defensive coordinator hopes he has a good grasp on Chip Kelly’s offense.

“If they can do anything else, God bless ‘em,” Haslett said.

Kelly, hired by Philadelphia in January to be its head coach, put Oregon back in the headlines over the last six seasons by instituting a fast-paced, spread option offense. He’s spent the better part of the last eight months trying to make a version of that offense translate to the NFL.

I'd advise to read the rest of it, good stuff. :)

All I know is if the chemistry that we had between Has, Raheem and Slowik as well as the freedom we gave Fletch during that 7 game winning streak is still there and going strong, our defense can be great.

My only fear is they lose a little bit of that somehow, especially with the return of ORakpo. Haslett has the tendency to become too bland when he knows he has elite talent, and that's foolish. But from what I've read all offseason, including this article, I don't think so. And I really honed in on the quotes looking for any hint of that being overlooked by any of those guys. Fortunately, they've said all the right things about it and I think they know they had something special. To top it off, all we saw in the preseason was EVEN MORE experimenting, even with Orakpo in.

That was more reassuring of all for me.

Archived