Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillymag.com: Billy Davis Not Exactly Brimming With Confidence

Califan007 The Constipated

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/09/05/billy-davis-not-exactly-brimming-with-confidence/

Eagles defensive coordinator Billy Davis was asked today about what he’s expecting Monday night in Washington.

“I am very anxious for the Redskins to show us who we are and where we are,” Davis said. “I don’t know what’s coming. The truth will be at the end of that game we’ll know defensively how far along we are.”

You’ll notice no hint of confidence or bravado in Davis’ response. He seems more than willing to be completely honest about where his defense is and the challenges that await in the next four months.

“They played all 16 games together last year, which is a huge advantage to play in a system,” Davis said, rattling off where the Redskins ranked statistically in 2012. “And we have to face that. We’ve gotta face it using an overhauled defense with new techniques that we’ve taught. We learned in the New England game, we came out there and tried to get ahead of ourselves and play a little bit above the technique. And it hurt us. Hopefully we’ll come out Monday night and play to the techniques that we’ve worked the whole offseason on. But no matter what I wish for or what I want, it doesn’t matter. The game shows who we are.”

Yeah, I think Billy Davis is being honest about a defensive unit that was not very good last year, and that is kicking off the season against a team in it's 2nd year (some farther along then that even) in the system, which produced a pretty impressive offense last season.

He sounded like he was already surrendering to the fact that the 'Skins will put a lot of points on the board and hopefully they learn something for the 2nd meeting.

Yeah, I think Billy Davis is being honest about a defensive unit that was not very good last year, and that is kicking off the season against a team in it's 2nd year (some farther along then that even) in the system, which produced a pretty impressive offense last season.

He sounded like he was already surrendering to the fact that the 'Skins will put a lot of points on the board and hopefully they learn something for the 2nd meeting.

I hope he's good enough a defensive coordinator to be accurate, but not quite good enough to fix it. :)

Judging from how long it took us to get comfortable with the 3-4 defense I expect to see the same painful growing pains on Monday night and through the 2013 season for the Eagles, which will only amuse and entertain me. 

Their offense could cause some problems, however I expect Vick to cough up a couple of balls through the air and even one on the ground on MNF.

HTTR!

It seems like the 3-4 defense is meant to increase turnovers in the long run, but the first year or so it gets a lot of guys caught out of position as they are trying to learn their increased duties in pass coverage.

Especially linebackers.  If you are switching to a 3-4, you better hope that you have dual-threat linebackers that can pass rush and cover, or you are basically conceding giving up a lot of yards until you can draft or sign replacements.

This is why Andre Carter was not around long after Haslett changed to a 3-4, because Carter is a 4-3 DE, and did not handle coverage well at all, he was a liability.  However once he moved back to a 4-3 scheme elsewhere he went back to being productive.

Also, as we learned, you absolutely NEED a stud at nose tackle who can push the pocket and not just be a big body in the middle.

You can really see the difference in the pass rush here now that Cofield has seemed to elevate his game. Yes, Orakpo being back helps a lot too, but the Pass rush's problem never seemed to have trouble with getting around the edge before, it was always the fact that there was zero push up the middle so the pursing defenders from the corners went right around the back of the pocket OR due to lack of puish up the middle, the QB just had to take 2-3 step forwards forward and make the throw.

Now, Cofield pushes the pocket backwards right into the pursuing defenders.

It seems like the 3-4 defense is meant to increase turnovers in the long run, but the first year or so it gets a lot of guys caught out of position as they are trying to learn their increased duties in pass coverage.

Especially linebackers.  If you are switching to a 3-4, you better hope that you have dual-threat linebackers that can pass rush and cover, or you are basically conceding giving up a lot of yards until you can draft or sign replacements.

This is why Andre Carter was not around long after Haslett changed to a 3-4, because Carter is a 4-3 DE, and did not handle coverage well at all, he was a liability.  However once he moved back to a 4-3 scheme elsewhere he went back to being productive.

Also, as we learned, you absolutely NEED a stud at nose tackle who can push the pocket and not just be a big body in the middle.

You can really see the difference in the pass rush here now that Cofield has seemed to elevate his game. Yes, Orakpo being back helps a lot too, but the Pass rush's problem never seemed to have trouble with getting around the edge before, it was always the fact that there was zero push up the middle so the pursing defenders from the corners went right around the back of the pocket OR due to lack of puish up the middle, the QB just had to take 2-3 step forwards forward and make the throw.

Kind of like Orakpo (who can't do anything but rush the passer), vs Rob Jackson (who is a better coverage guy).

Hoping Orakpo doesn't get punished too badly in coverage these next 4 games :/

"The rivers will run red with their blood...."

He'd be a complete moron if he exhibited any kind of confidence/bravado @ this point.  Nate Allen is one of his safeties!

From what I saw in preseason their front 7 is going to be a bigger problem for them than their secondary. It was preseason and its always dangerous to draw too many conclusions from what you see but there looked to be some very round pegs in some very square holes in heir new defense. They don't seem to have anyone who is natural at OLB in the scheme and their DLine were unable to hold ground against the run exposing the linebackers and giving lots of cut back lanes.

I think their offense could be dangerous but it's going to have to carry a lot of slack for their defense.

He could be pulling a "Joe Gibbs-aww schucks" routine also. Remember, Gibbs would hype up every team they happening to be playing that week and explain how it is going to be an uphill battle for them to get a win. Showing respect and adoration, while not supplying a hint of bullletin board material for the opponent, is a tried and true technique for coaches when answering to the media.

Agree with everything here except the Cofield analysis. :)

As to your first point, Cofield hasn't "elevated" his game much, in my opinion, he's been an excellent NT since he's been here. But I'm not sure if, what you meant by saying he's "elevated his game", is that he's just gotten more comfortable as time has went on - because I totally agree with that.  

As to the second point, Cofield doesn't really push anyone back unless he's one on one with a guy. His style of "pushing back" is all about side stepping, hand placement (especially his great hand swiping ability) and elusiveness. It looks different, but accomplishes exactly the same thing.

Sorry for nitpicking, there, lol. I just think Cofield's game is misunderstood here and he's one of my favorite players on this team. :)

Seems like most of you fans are afraid to death of Desean Jackson because he runs past people. I still don't understand why the Eagles aren't talking about Aldrick Robinson running past their defenders. Robinson is as fast or faster than Jackson and whenever Robinson catches a TD pass it appears he is about 10 yards behind the closest defender.

If I were Coaching the Skins and facing a confused defensive secondary in a new system, I would be putting as much speed on the field as possible. Robinson and Garcon should be starting this game and taking the Eagles deep to get them away from the line of scrimmage and get them backing off early.

Our offense is really a walking matchup problem. A receiver core with multiple deep threats along with a slot receiver and tight end that can do damage between the hashes and up the seam. Add that to spectacular running back that keeps the offense ahead of down and distance and a deadly accurate qb with track speed that doesn't turn the ball over. All of this vs a defense transitioning into a new scheme. Yikes 

Our offense is really a walking matchup problem. A receiver core with multiple deep threats along with a slot receiver and tight end that can do damage between the hashes and up the seam. Add that to spectacular running back that keeps the offense ahead of down and distance and a deadly accurate qb with track speed that doesn't turn the ball over. All of this vs a defense transitioning into a new scheme. Yikes 

Good description.  I hope we're able to showcase all of the above Monday.

Archived