Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft : Andrew Luck: Reggie Wayne Is Still Our Leader ....

bedlamVR

Andrew Luck: Reggie Wayne is still our leader

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT

350x-1219.jpg?w=250AP

Andrew Luck is the Colts’ franchise quarterback, but he’s not their team leader.

Reggie Wayne recently said he considers Luck the team president, while Wayne considers himself the vice president. But Luck said on Mike & Mike that he believes Wayne, who arrived in Indianapolis 11 years before Luck, still deserves to be considered the leader.

“I still defer to Reggie Wayne as the leader of our offense,” Luck

said. “But I think as a quarterback there’s a natural progression of

leadership, the older you get. I definitely feel more inclined this year

to share my opinion if I feel like it’s necessary, or to talk in front

of the guys, or what have you. As a quarterback you assume a natural

leadership role.”

The QB can't "defer" to anyone in the huddle.

Luck has to be the leader, the guy the players follow on offense.

RG3 understood that from day one. While he deferred to Fletcher as an overall team leader for a while, Griffin took control of the offense and declared it his from the beginning.

Luck has to do the same. Not be just another face in the crowd.

I just wanted to say - I have been down on Luck simply because I think as good as he is - he is not going to evolve into that amazing play maker at QB that say Payton Manning did between his rookie and 2nd year or ever... Throughout his collage career he reached a high level early and then never really jumped up . He seems to be a Archie Manning robot who is very polished very capable and extremley steady .

The Colts last year - how many 10-6 (11-5?) teams were outscored by their opponents by 50 points and were 9-1 in games decided by a TD or less - Is that sustainable ? They have things to be excited about going forward TY Hilton for example but I just don't see them going back to their old ways .

Luck himself get amazing press . They talk about his clutch come back ability in games, but never mention the fact that a big reason for them being behind in the first place was the bone headed plays of their QB .

Secondly as much heat RGIII gets for getting hit - no QB in the league got hit more than Andrew Luck - it just didn't result in injury, but on at least one occasion he described concussion like symptoms in a post game interview (seeing double) ....

Also for as much heat RGIII gets for leaving the pocket and running - Of all the QBs who took off running (rookies)  Andrew Lucks tendencies was to take to his feet far more often and earlier than than either RGIII or Wilson did .

Then you have this article . People say RGIII is an attention whore - and Luck and Wilson are just out there making sure their teams are winning , this article shows they are talking, just no one is listening ...

If RGIII said Santana Moss is our leader on offense ...and "i definitely feel more inclined to share my opinion" people would be railing on him big time for not showing any back bone or leadership or ownership of the team .

This is not the same as showing respect to a vested veteran who may well be on his way to the HoF, these are the words of a guy who seems modest to a fault and meek but is that what you want from your QB .....I would understand it if Wayne was the leading QB and Luck was an incoming rookie,  but he is a WR for gods sake . I mean it goes with his "Aw Shucks" persona he had since collage - and while that is endearing to  some (especially in middle America) It only really works while you are winning - that act would be wearing real thin on a 3-6 team ..

Look Griffin has in the past said things along the lines of he sees Fletcher as a leader on this team, but he had never gone as far to say Fletch is THE leader .. and no one is any doubt that Griffin sees this as his team and last season we saw him put a 3-6 team on his back and rode it into the playoffs .

Maybe I am seeing to much in these comments but I like my QBs to lead from the front - not be um - ing and ah - ing just seems wrong and LUCK gets one hell of a pass ....

The QB can't "defer" to anyone in the huddle.

Luck has to be the leader, the guy the players follow on offense.

RG3 understood that from day one. While he deferred to Fletcher as an overall team leader for a while, Griffin took control of the offense and declared it his from the beginning.

Luck has to do the same. Not be just another face in the crowd.

The difference being that Robert didn't walk into a situation on offense where he had a perennial pro-bowler with a SB ring on offense.

It's natural for Luck to be respectful towards Wayne. The same way Robert is towards London.

London's not on offense, but Robert is always very deferential towards him.

I think in the huddle, Luck runs the show. I'm guessing the comment was more overall team leadership.

Not hating on Luck ... but pointing out the difference in attitude to fans on different players comments ..

Look I get Wayne is a great player on the way to the HoF (what happened to Luck not having any weapons BTW) but the QB HAS to be the leader good times and bad in huddle in the locker room - everywhere ... and has to make it clear that is what he is . There is a difference between being respectful and being JAG . Wayne already threw the leader mantle at Luck in a public interview and he Aw shucked it off .. and thats the attitude I see .

As much I dislike Tom Brady but the reason I dislike him is  that
arrogant self belief, it makes him appear abrasive and unlikeable  but
no one questions who is the leader on the field . When he took over
Bledsoe was playing well and the Pats were becomeing respectable but
Brady just shoved him out the starters spot - This 6th round no one was
showing no one deferential respect, but he was backing it up on the
field .... that is  the attitude that makes him great -

Luck has phenomenal physical gifts and mental game but I dunno seems to be able to do no wrong, as I say though, this good ole boy is fine while they are winning -  . I would like to see Luck in a hole and see if he had the fortitude to turn a loosing team around mid season when everyone is looking  for him to step up .... but i think it is something missing in his character ... maybe I am wrong but I have never seen him do it ..it is through adversity we see who the real deal is .

The Colts are a historically good team, and everyone saw them tank the
season in 2011,  even with all the turn over the attitude and the swagger was still there ....Last year with the coach falling ill, the first year post Manning it was an emotionally charged ride - the real test starts now - I think Luck and the Colts will be fine, but this is not a cup cake schedule he is facing and he is no longer the new guy ..

I think the title of the article was cleverly written. Luck said he still defers to "Reggie Wayne as the leader " of the offense. He also acknowledges that the QB is to assume the leadership over time.

He may be the face of the franchise, but it takes time to gain the trust and respect of your comrades. That's perfectly fine. I'm sure he is very much a part of the gameplanning process, and the team will be built around him. Even as the #1 pick, you gotta go out and earn it, and he is, as long as he stays out of trouble and continues to play at an all pro level, he'll be in control of his team's destiny

At least this was posted in the correct forum, but I just don't get why we care all that much what happens over the next 10-15 years with Indy's QB. I guess I could understand if we passed over Luck to draft Griffin...it would be natural to turn an eye to the guy we could have had to see how we did.

But there are a bunch of very talented young QBs in the NFL now. I don't really care too much how the other QBs play or what they say until it directly impacts us. I was VERY interested in Russell Wilson, for example, last January. I'll worry about CK in a couple months as well.

Unless we need Indy to knock off a conference rival or we happen to match up with them, I don't really care too much about Andrew Luck. I think he's good and have no problems with him developing into a great QB. I want to follow a league with tons of QB talent...it makes games so much more fun to watch.

Although you have made some valid points, I believe you are reading into his comments too much. I believe he is just showing respect to Wayne.

I agree 100%.  Luck proved that he can win games in this league, as ugly as he made it look.  He is clearly one of the leaders.  The great thing about football, is that there are multiple leaders on a team, not just one.

I agree 100%.  Luck proved that he can win games in this league, as ugly as he made it look.  He is clearly one of the leaders.  The great thing about football, is that there are multiple leaders on a team, not just one.

If we're using that criteria than so did Tim Tebow. This is ridiculous, all he proved is he can get his team out of a hole that he put them in against terrible defenses. I've tried very hard to like Andrew Luck but I just can't do it. I'm sick of hearing about how he had the greatest rookie season ever when two other rookies outplayed him in nearly every facet of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235105/article/around-the-leagues-nfl-mvp-predictions

It's articles like this that irritate me even more.

• 1 month later...

Many are probably shocked to see how well the Colts are doing to start the season. So many dismissed Andrew Luck leading the Colts to the playoffs as a fluke and due to an easy schedule.

Well so far this year all the Colts have done is start the season 4-1. They have beaten two of the NFC favorites to reach the Super Bowl in San Francisco and Seattle. Luck engineered another 4th quarter comeback today against one of the NFL's best defenses, and keep in mind the Colts have already lost 3 offensive starters for the season.

Not bad for a QB and team that so many here have ridiculed as being lucky and capable of only beating bad teams.

Russell Wilson again had a great day running the football but was unable to lead Seattle to victory when they needed pass plays late. Still, like Luck and the Colts his team is 4-1 and on track for a solid season. Seattle was without three of their starting offensive linemen for the second straight game today also.

RGIII has his chance coming Sunday to turn the Skins' season around with a win over Dallas. Hopefully the offense can do something in the first half this game.

No one knows which of the highly prized QB's from last season's draft will ultimately have the best career.

It's evident though to anyone capable of acknowledging accomplishments of teams other than the Skins that Wilson and Luck have much to offer and should combine with RGIII to make an exciting young trio of QB's for years to come.

Archived