Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Bucs Treated Facility For Mrsa Infection

21MadFan

I remember it infecting some Redskins years ago.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9592149/tampa-bay-buccaneers-treat-facility-prevent-mrsa-outbreak?src=mobile

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers
have recently treated their facility in an effort to erase any
existence of MRSA, a serious staph infection that has sidelined Pro Bowl
guard Carl Nicks and resulted in place-kicker Lawrence Tynes having surgery this week on an infected toe, general manager Mark Dominik confirmed to ESPN.

Doctors diagnosed Nicks and Tynes as each having contracted MRSA, a
powerful bacteria resistant to penicillin-type treatment. Nicks recently
revealed he had a staph infection to his toe that would sideline him
indefinitely. Bucs head athletic trainer Todd Toriscelli also has
battled an infection since having offseason knee surgery, but he was not
diagnosed with MRSA.

"We had a company come in and nuke the building a week ago after the
cultures taken from Nicks and Tynes confirmed it was MRSA," Dominik
said. "It was a precautionary move, but we didn't want to fool with it.
Our owners said spare no expense. We had the facility treated, and the
league office approved of our actions."

The NFL Players Association has been monitoring the extent of MRSA
existence within the Bucs facility. Dominik said coach Greg Schiano
informed staff and players of the MRSA problem last week.

The Bucs signed place-kicker Rian Lindell on the same day Tynes had his surgery, in which the infection was scraped from his toe and his toe bone.

Tynes sought a second opinion after what originally was identified as
an ingrown toenail failed to heal and became infected. Doctors at the
New York Hospital for Special Surgery confirmed a diagnosis of MRSA.

Tynes has not participated in training camp, and with Lindell's signing, the Bucs have three kickers on the roster.

This is a good idea and should probably occur in all NFL locker rooms. Just Spor-Klenz the joint every now and then to kill off unwanted bacteria and spore-formers.

Infections happen to football players from time to time. I had a staph infection in HS from a toe that had been stepped on. The cleat gashed me and the bacteria must have got into it through that. Luckily it was a quick treatment by staph infection standards - some more serious infections can last a long time and require daily antibiotic adminstration via IV for many weeks (that happened to me too later in life). I say nip it in the bud and nuke those locker rooms.

It's two giants players that have it. Tynes had surgery and Nicks is out indefinitely. One would say karma is a ****.

Ummmmm, what?  Tynes isn't with the Giants and you have the wrong Nicks.

Brandon Jacobs tweeted that they are putting a cathetar from Tynes' neck to his heart to save his life.  It seems Tynes has it very bad and his life could be at risk based on what Jacobs said.

Brandon Jacobs tweeted that they are putting a cathetar from Tynes' neck to his heart to save his life.  It seems Tynes has it very bad and his life could be at risk based on what Jacobs said.

Wow that's horrible. Don't know why I thought it was the giants for some reason I thought I read an article on ESPN that said it was giants players that had it. Even though I said one would say karma is a ****, obviously I wouldn't wish misfortune on anyone. I like when teams play at full strength so there are no excuses.

The Mara **** is getting ridiculous. I've got no love for the guy because he screwed us, but people are going overboard with it. You'd think they see John Mara here, John Mara there... Little John Mara's running everywhere. The comedy routine has gotten old.

The Mara **** is getting ridiculous. I've got no love for the guy because he screwed us, but people are going overboard with it. You'd think they see John Mara here, John Mara there... Little John Mara's running everywhere. The comedy routine has gotten old.

But the cap penalty hasn't and pisses me off when I look at our secondary. There's only so many years in people's career and we got jobbed for two seasons playing handicapped. So while you make think its old, I'm reminded of it everyday with what could have beens and could be for this season. we could have a real RT and not have to worry about Griffin getting his head knocked off. To each their own.

Surprised this isnt getting more publicity around the league... Seems like Tynes is being put on non football injury list instead of injured reserved, which is the bucs way of not taking the blame for the staph break out. He will make his salary but still, seems very wrong doesnt it? 

Heres the link

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9621709/lawrence-tynes-fight-tampa-bay-buccaneers-roster-designation?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I agree. It's silly. I'm embarrassed everytime I see one of our fans post some Mara nonsense. Grow up people.

But the cap penalty hasn't and pisses me off when I look at our secondary. There's only so many years in people's career and we got jobbed for two seasons playing handicapped. So while you make think its old, I'm reminded of it everyday with what could have beens and could be for this season. we could have a real RT and not have to worry about Griffin getting his head knocked off. To each their own.

Both times RG3 was injured during the regular season, had nothing to do with our offensive line. He injured himself on scrambles, and both times he could have gone down or gotten out of bounds. Seriously, the Mara stuff has gotten old. There's no conspiracy.

Surprised this isnt getting more publicity around the league... Seems like Tynes is being put on non football injury list instead of injured reserved, which is the bucs way of not taking the blame for the staph break out. He will make his salary but still, seems very wrong doesnt it? 

It's absolutely wrong to strip away that year of service time. He was injured in the training facility. He was injured performing football activities, just as if a guy injured himself in the weight room or on the practice field. 

• 1 month later...

Archived