Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Skateboarder Ever?

GoSkins561

Greatest Skateboarder Ever   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest skateboarder ever?

• Tony Hawk
    • Ryan Sheckler
    • Steve Caballero
    • Mark Gonzalez
    • Shawn White
    • Rodney Mullen
    • Other

My choice is Rodney Mullen, I didn't appreciate his style back in the 80's, but man, this dude is still SHREDDING and doing tricks that I honestly don't think can ever be done by anyone but Rodney Mullen himself.

No Christian Hosoi?

I just removed Bucky and put an "other" option up.

Mullen

Not that I feel the need to keep banging the Tony Hawk drum, but one of my favorite Tony Hawk moments was when he had the call when Jake Brown almost died 4 years back when he ate it from 40 feet up.

So Brown hits the first 720 and goes up for the 540 and eats the deck, and Hawk is obviously super concerned, they haven't even determined if Brown is alive at this point, the arena is SILENT, and Hawk blurts out "Wow I can't believe he hit the 720."  That is a true skateboarder.  :)

I was watching that live and thought dude died, remember thinking he hit the ground so hard that his shoes got knocked off.

Hawk is like the Michael Jordan, the Wayne Gretzky, the Joe Montana, the Pele of skateboarding. People who are far more into the sport than I can probably debate if hew was the best or not.

There is no debating that he is the most iconic.

Absolutely, Hawk has video games with his name on them he is no doubt one of the greatest ever, but "his tricks" are being done on a regular basis by shmoes, no one is going to repeat Mullen's tricks.

I was watching that live and thought dude died, remember thinking he hit the ground so hard that his shoes got knocked off.

Yea, i pretty much live blogged it on this site.  Too bad search doesn't work. :(

Little kids are flying over the ramp now, 15 yo Mitchie Brusco one of the older kids currently flying over the mega ramp MIGHT be the next great.

Cool kids.

Hawk is by far the most famous, and perhaps the most influential...

but the greatest and most innovative (meaning how they did things no one did before) skater of all time is hands down Rodney Mullen.

You have to give it to him for 3 reasons: this video, kickflips and the darkslide. 

Not trying to be rude but I have no clue how Shekler and White are options but no Daewon Song, Jamie Thomas, Paul Rodriguez or Bucky Lasek?

There is only so much room in the polls, Bucky was on the list but I replaced him with other, to be honest I probably just could have just put Mullen and Hawk, but I wanted to leave the discussion open for other opinions.

Hawk is like the Michael Jordan, the Wayne Gretzky, the Joe Montana, the Pele of skateboarding. People who are far more into the sport than I can probably debate if hew was the best or not.

There is no debating that he is the most iconic.

That's how I feel too. I'm not a skateboarder by any means, but I think if you ask the average person who Tony Hawk is, they could tell you. He definitely took skateboarding mainstream.

I was a huge Gonz fan back in the day. Had a bunch of his boards. Hawk was killer too though.

I remember being blown away by Bones Brigade videos when they came out and HStreet just seemed impossible. The **** these kids do today is mind blowing.

These Rodney Mullen videos are blowing my mind. I didn't even know he existed, but wow he is amazing with a skateboard 

Didn't you play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater back in '99?

Anyway, I don't know enough to know who is the "best" though I've heard great things about Mullen.  Regardless, Tony Hawk put the sport on the map via the 900 at X Games back in the day and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, that game by itself put skateboarding into the mainstream. 

Mullen was great at what he did, but he is pretty much using his board the way a BMXer would use a unicycle. Clowning around.

Hmmm, he is still doing it and Mullen basically defined what street skating is today, watch his most recent videos he isnt dancing around anymore doing freestyle, I would say he is the best street skater on the planet.

Archived