Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Skateboarder Ever?

GoSkins561

Greatest Skateboarder Ever   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest skateboarder ever?

• Tony Hawk
    • Ryan Sheckler
    • Steve Caballero
    • Mark Gonzalez
    • Shawn White
    • Rodney Mullen
    • Other

It's definitely Tony Hawk but Rodney Mullen was phenomenal.

There is a documentary on netflix about the Bones Brigade that is a MUST SEE.  That documentary alone will show why the two of them are so important to the sport.

Mullen is the greatest street skater of all time IMO. The most coordinated skater I have ever seen. I spent most of my teenage years trying to emulate him, and the only thing I ever got to show for it was bruised shins and twisted ankles. Plus, dark slides are not recommended, unless you have a steady supply of boards like Mullen. For a poor teenager, a pro deck was pretty expensive. about 30-50 bucks a pop when I was growing up.

I voted for Hawk. He just pushed the boundaries on vert beyond what was thought possible. He's also an icon. Most people can identify Hawk, only skaters usually know who Rodney Mullen is.

Damn, this thread makes me want to order a complete and hit the streets. Unfortunately, I'm not the string bean I once was (need to lose about 15), so I've probably lost most of my pop. Also, it's not a good look for a 31 year old to have to call out of the office because he busted "insert body part here" open. Skateboarding hurt. But the payoff and adrenalin was worth it.

Down with fruit boots!

To me it depends if you are talking street or vert. Rodney Mullen is the best street skater of all time, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of non-skaters who knew who he was. Tony Hawk brought skateboarding to mainstream America. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was a huge factor in getting youth interested in skateboarding. I remember when he did the 900 how much of a huge moment that was for everyone. He got my generation to skateboard. I'd say for impact as well as vert skills I have to go with Tony.

Lots of love for Hawk and Mullen, but Burnquist needs to be in the discussion.

Yes! I was so shocked when I didn't see him in the poll. Then I was furious when no one didn't mention him until now. 

No I am not a skateboarder, but I follow it more than the average person. I do agree that Hawk is probably the best, but I can't believe Burnquist didn't get any love. Is it something I don't know about him. Is he a jerk or something?

I must be getting old or I'm just out of touch because I have never understood skate boarding. I even get angry now when I'm on the sidewalk and a couple skateboarders come flying by me or if I am at the mall or a restaurant and I have to wait to get in because a bunch of kids are trying to do tricks and stuff on the stairs.

I feel like reporting the menaces and yelling "stay off the grass" or something... 

Lots of love for Hawk and Mullen, but Burnquist needs to be in the discussion.

Yes! I was so shocked when I didn't see him in the poll. Then I was furious when no one didn't mention him until now. 

No I am not a skateboarder, but I follow it more than the average person. I do agree that Hawk is probably the best, but I can't believe Burnquist didn't get any love. Is it something I don't know about him. Is he a jerk or something?

Burnquist is awesome, it's amazing what he is still doing for skateboarding as one of the old men who are still competing, when it comes to the poll, I probably could have left out everyone except Hawk and Mullen. 

When creating a poll, ES only allows so many options unless I suck at creating polls, that could be as well.  :ols:

It's definitely Tony Hawk but Rodney Mullen was phenomenal.

There is a documentary on netflix about the Bones Brigade that is a MUST SEE.  That documentary alone will show why the two of them are so important to the sport.

Yes, The Bones Brigade Documentary is a great documentary.

I must be getting old or I'm just out of touch because I have never understood skate boarding. I even get angry now when I'm on the sidewalk and a couple skateboarders come flying by me or if I am at the mall or a restaurant and I have to wait to get in because a bunch of kids are trying to do tricks and stuff on the stairs.

I feel like reporting the menaces and yelling "stay off the grass" or something... 

Skateboarding is a positive outlet for kids, unless they are acting like dicks towards you, you shouldn't report them, they are just having fun in their own way.  When I use to skate, we wouldn't bother anyone, we would usually get harassed by random people who didn't like us simply because we were skateboarding.  Next time you see a bunch of kids skating, take a deep breath, and actually watch them, it's pretty amazing what the average skater is capable of with their board.

Skateboarding is a positive outlet for kids, unless they are acting like dicks towards you, you shouldn't report them, they are just having fun in their own way.  When I use to skate, we wouldn't bother anyone, we would usually get harassed by random people who didn't like us simply because we were skateboarding.  Next time you see a bunch of kids skating, take a deep breath, and actually watch them, it's pretty amazing what the average skater is capable of with their board.

It is impressive but they should have fun at places designed to have fun. Not sidewalks and businesses. Get their angst out in a respectable way.  

We have a 6 foot half pipe at the beach bar I work at and I know I'm going to try it one of these days and bust my ass.

I grew up on a skateboard. Lived it every second of my youth. I was a punk and a skate rat.

Please make sure there's video...lol

So did I, but quit after busting ass on a hill and being knocked out cold, but I knew a car was coming...my friends had my back,(this was the summer before 7th grade) stopped the car, and got me home.   

Geez, that was a loooong time ago...those dudes were cool.  Haven't seen them since I moved a year later.

I appreciate Tony Hawk, as far as technicalities are concerned and the difficulty involved in tricks, he can' touch Mullen, Mullen is easily the greatest skateboarder ever to live.  What it boils down to is, there are others who have done what Hawk has done, but there is no one who can do what Mullen does.  Watch this video, Tony is famous for doing the 900, show me someone else who can do what Mullen does?  Absolutely no one can touch Mullen when it comes to innovation, creativity, and difficulty with his tricks, the man is pure magic.

The board slide at 1:36...what??? lol

I don't want to discount Hawk, but a 12 year old was the first to top his 900 with a 1080.  (I know it's different on the Mega ramp but still several others have done the 900.

Hawk easily on vert, but was he the most innovative?

The most innovative?    In my time?  Tony Alva.  Hands down. 

Tony-Alva.jpg

How old are you?

Tony Hawk landing a 900 at age 40 + (which he tweeted out last year) is more impressive than a kid doing a 1080 on a mega ramp essentially giving him a handicap.  The problem with the poll is 1 out of 200 people knows skateboarding history so of course Tony Hawk is going to win.  He's the face of the sport and brought it to the mainstream.

How old are you?

Tony Hawk landing a 900 at age 40 + (which he tweeted out last year) is more impressive than a kid doing a 1080 on a mega ramp essentially giving him a handicap.  The problem with the poll is 1 out of 200 people knows skateboarding history so of course Tony Hawk is going to win.  He's the face of the sport and brought it to the mainstream.

You're right about the 1 in 200 part, however Shaun White is probably more dazzling than Hawk when it comes to the casual viewer and "big" tricks.  IMO, Mullen would be ahead of Hawk if we were to bring skateboarding into a "greatest athlete" poll, when it's all said and done, he should even be a front runner if people we to actually watch what he does.

Archived