Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Corleone Theory: What The Godfather Can Teach You About Every Man You’ll Ever Meet

Thinking Skins

Corleone.jpg

As a child, watching Francis Ford Coppola’s cinematic classic The Godfather and its sequels was a rite of passage. The men in my family forced me to watch them long before I was ever really old enough to understand them, and over time – they came to hold a particularly special place in my heart. One of the tangential benefits of having watched these films dozens of times has been that I’ve come up with this theory … The Corleone Theory. The Corleone Theory is the idea that every man you’ll ever meet in life is either a Vito, a Santino (Sonny) a Tom Hagan, a Fredo, or a Michael.

As a man, knowing which one you are can be useful in all facets of life — from how you approach your career to how you deal with stress, to how you relate to your family. For men and women, the ability to categorize the men you know and meet through this lens can be super helpful when deciding what kind of role you want the men you meet to play in your life (No Hibbert).

Lets explore each:

Click on the link to read the full story.

http://www.singleblackmale.org/2013/06/27/the-godfather/

I think this is a good read. What say you? Which character are you most like?

I'm sure the person who wrote this thought long and hard, and it's an interesting theory, but ultimately, I think it's pointless in it's simplicity. Many people could be a combination of all 5 throughout their lives, or at any given moment, though it's rare, very rare, to find a Vito in a young guy around my age (24-25). That particular trait normally develops later in life, when you've matured and experienced a lot of different situations, and different people.

Some people could be in business, and could publicly display an attitude similar to that of Michael, but privately, have a little Fredo in them, where they're very paranoid, and constantly doubt themselves, and feel like they'll never amount to what they think people want them to be.

A postal worker/mail delivery person (they make it sound bad, but depending on if you work for a company like UPS where they start you at 70k, it aint so bad) could be the Michael Corleone type, where he is a calculated, detail oriented, super driven control freak. You aren't chained to any type of profession, woman, or family just because of you rpersonality. There ar emany many layers to a personality.

"Tattaglia's a pimp.  He never could've out fought Santino."

I actually read the book twice before I saw the movie because my parents wouldn't let me watch it until I was in high school. 

But this piece brings up some great points.  I don't agree with all of them, but I legitimately do follow two of Vito's rules in regards to family and have since I saw the movie.  So I give the article more than a little credence.  Thank you for sharing.

Archived