Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas Cowboys vs. Washington Redskins Myths

Red&BlueRivalry

Howdy Skins fans! I know I'm one of those hated Cowboys fans but I'd like to give you props on a fantastic website. Every once in a blue moon, I find a superb website organized by fans, usually its college sports, but sometimes I find pro sports websites and I hate to admit it but this site is a hell of a lot better than anything I've ever found for Cowboys fans. You'd think with 8 Super Bowl appearances, there would be a good website for Cowboys fans after all the years.

I know the rivalry hasn't been much in recent years. I remember when the Cowboys vs Skins meant something and I think it may finally be back. Not to gloat but the Cowboys dominated the entire NFC East in the 90's, not just the Redskins, and when they were a terrible football team they still had the Skins number, so it just ain't been much of a rivalry in recent years.

But I think it has all changed now. The Redskins are just as good as the Giants and maybe the Eagles and the Cowboys are back and their winning streak over the Skins ended last year. No matter the final standings, I believe the NFC East is one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL this year so it's nice to have a little rivalry back.

Been reading some of the stuff in here and I know some of you will hate the Cowboys no matter what but I'd like to dispell a few myths:

MYTH #1) Redskins have superior talent that is not being used right vs. Cowboys have inferior talent that is being overused

It's parity these days folks. But if you'd like some facts behind it, let's compare both teams.

QB - Quincy Carter vs. Patrick Ramsey - Even. As a Cowboys fan, I'll be the first to admit that I wish the Cowboys had someone with Ramsey's young talent after 3 years of experience rather than Carter. But with few games behind him, even though he has a hell of an arm, Ramsey holds the ball too long and still makes a lot of greenie mistakes. Carter is more mobile and can make more happen when the offensive line breaks down. Right now it's an even match with talent but Ramsey will probably surpass Carter next year.

RB - Committee vs. Committee. - Even. You can't tell me that Betts and Canidate are any better than Hambrick and Cason. Little question for you though, does Spurrier use his backs in the right situations? In other words, do you notice guys being rotated in for any other reason than they need rest? Cowboys sure as hell do. Coaching is a huge factor in the game these days.

TE - Campbell & Whitten vs. recent signee Chamberlain - Cowboys. No contest. The Skins have been looking hard for a TE that can catch the ball since Stephen Davis left.

WR - Coles, Gardner, et al vs. Galloway, Glenn & Bryant - Even. Coles is more than the Cowboys could ever wish for but Bryant is still young and may someday be at his level. Overall, the Cowboys receivers are better overall, being generous with my even ranking. Dallas would be much better suited for Spurrier's offense than the current crew he has.

OL - Even. - It's showing how overrated your tackles have been. Flozell Adams is just as good as Cris Samuels. Last year I couldn't have said this and your inexperienced QB has a lot to do with your high sack totals but the Cowboys offensive line this year is just as good as anything the Skins can field. They probably deserve to be rated higher.

DL - Cowboys by a longshot. - When you're starting 40something Bruce Smith because no one has stepped up to claim his spot, you know you have problems. La'Roi Glover and Greg Ellis alone are better than the Skins crew.

LB - Redskins - Arrington is a monster but seriously, just because Trotter and Armstead had good careers with other teams doesn't mean they're the end all at linebacker. Armstead is on his last legs which I guess you could say about Dexter Coakley but do the Skins ever blitz big boy Trotter enough to take advantage of his size? And what about his cap hit? Was he really worth that huge payday Snyder spit out? So far, no. Compare his to Dat Nguyen on the Cowboys and I'd say they go about even. Nguyen can't apply as much pressure on the blitz but he's better in pass coverage and he's tons cheaper.

S - Cowboys by far - Roy Williams and Darren Woodson, need I say more.

CB - Redskins - But the good news is Terrance Newman has every bit the potential Champ Bailey and Derek Ross is an upcoming youngster that will probably match Smoot before his career is over and Mario Edwards ain't a slouch either.

ST - Cowboys - Cundiff so far has proven he's just as good as Hall and only costs 1/3 the amount. Prove to me how the money spent on Chad Morton is any better than the bargain price the Cowboys are getting on undrafted rookie Zuriel Smith. Cowboys maybe overpaid for Jeff Robinson but all in all, Cowboys can play just as good on special teams and are paying less.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised when Skins fans keep confessing that they have all this talent but no coach to get it done because I don't think your team is much different than most of the 32 teams and that's something to pay attention to. With parity there are no more dominant teams. You can find a few teams that have in general better talent than most clubs but if you could ever configure a true non-biased power ranking system, you'd probably find that teams #5 - #32 are damn close.

MYTH #2) The Cowboys have a weak schedule.

Sort of like the Skins? The Cowboys did beat the Giants and Eagles. Dallas hasn't faced a Buccs squad yet, but they will. Cowboys manhandled the Jets much more than the Skins did. There's really not much of a difference with the Skins and Cowboys schedule so far. Skins and Cowboys split the Falcons game which I might add was the worse ball the Cowboys played so far this year. If you're using schedule strength in today's NFL parity you'd better make sure you have a good excuse because there isn't much of a difference with most teams. Last year's Super Bowl champion is this year's laughing stock. Last week's stellar squad is this week's bomb. There are no more dominant teams anymore. Using strength of schedule to justify a team's performance thus far is useless these days.

If you'll allow me, a few problems I see with this year's Skins squad:

#1 Your defensive line is horrible. Better blitz those linebackers Snyder is paying all that money to.

#2 Don't ever count on the Playoffs when you have a quarterback that has so few games experience. I can tell you this from recent personal experience. There are always exceptions and I think Ramsey is a great future quarterback but the odds of him succeeding this year are even worse because Spurrier is determined to throw so much.

#3 Your coaches. Just the fact that Parcells is working with what he has while diehard Skins fans are justifying Spurrier's slow start as him needing to acquire the positions he needs are reason enough for me. It's parity, you work with what you have, or you fall with what you have. The days of building a powerhouse to fit the coach's particular style are over. If you hear that excuse, chances are your head coach doesn't cut it. Especially with the limited cap room the Skins have. With such a young quarterback, the Skins shouldn't even be attempting to come close to Spurrier's college ways. You should still have Stephen Davis and running the ball a lot more.

#4 Your owner. Trust me on this, I can speak from great personal experience after watching Jerry Jones basically give up and hand everything over to the Tuna. Snyder may not be as intrusive but when you reduce Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer to sniveling coaches, you know your owner is going too far. It's amazing all the quotes I hear from players on the Skins and how undisciplined they sound after covering a year with Parcells in Dallas. You don't realize this now, but once Snyder relinquishes control, you'll see how the players attitudes change instantly when they have a coach they can respect and an owner that doesn't try and involve himself with everything.

Will save you major bucks too once Snyder realizes he can't hire ever player that had good fantasy football points last year. You might still have Stephen Davis if not for costly salary cap blunders.

The good news is I still think the Cowboys and Redskins could have very similar records when they finally face off and maybe even the top two NFC East teams. Sorry Skins fans, I think you have a decent team, but I don't see anything on your team that separates it from the pack. You're going to need great coaching from here on out if you expect to compete in the division.

Some good points from a level-headed fan. Although, I have to admit, there are a lot of spots at which you placed us inferior and even. And it's at those spots that I believe we're superior. But, I'm not gonna get into all of that.

Right now, you're on a high because of what Parcells has done with your team and I don't blame you at all. I think the separation between these two lies in the coaching. You have a coach who's been around in the NFL and is successful anywhere he goes. He uses psychology to bring the most out of every player and he knows the definition of the word "discipline" and what it means to be a winner. We have a coach who has been VERY successful with a college team and has yet to prove himself in the NFL in ONLY his second season. However, you still can't overlook the 3-3 mark this year. If we could get our O-Line straightened out and reduce our penalties, we're easily 4-1 right now. But, that is hindsight. We'll get it right. I suspect we'll get it right a game before we meet you guys.

I like that he uses cap hit at the end to validate one of the Cowboys players, yet refuses to use the same judgement earlier. If Salary and Cost to acquire are legit points to consider, then our WR's blow yours away. Or did you forget that Throwy Picksaway cost you 2 number 1s and tons of caphit?

Dallas coaching is better at this point.

Washington will stop Hambrick or any other SCRUB you put in that backfield, play man up with the Dallas WR's, maybe one safety over the top for deep support.

Dallas is like a brand new dodge right now, with a good driver at the wheel. But the dodge will break down, its just a matter of time. They are doing better than I would have thought. But it's a long a$$ season.

The skins are right where they should be. The REDSKINS will sweep dallas, smack them in the face and bring the tuna and good'ol quincy back to reality. And RoyBoy will get beat deep.

Hmm.... Interesting. :rolleyes:

The Cowgirls are 4 and 1. They lead the division. They have a good coach. I'd be willing to bet that I see 50 times the amount of Dallas hats and shirts on the streets now that the fans feel comfortable that they're a legitimate team. Well, at least the fans seem to think so. I can't wait until the Cowgirls actually play a winning team in this league. It will be absolutely joyful for me to see the disappearance of the Dallas hats and shirts as a result of their reality check.

Lates.

I think a lot of 'Boys fans, at 3-1, felt the record was indeed hollow, but thought the matchup against the Eagles would be the true test of where we're at.

Having beaten them, I think it's generated a lot more excitement about the team because we finally beat a "legitimate" team.

Of course, with the Eagles losing that game, they have a losing record and perhaps are not such a good team after all. Who knows.

Originally posted by Dale

I think a lot of 'Boys fans, at 3-1, felt the record was indeed hollow, but thought the matchup against the Eagles would be the true test of where we're at.

Having beaten them, I think it's generated a lot more excitement about the team because we finally beat a "legitimate" team.

Of course, with the Eagles losing that game, they have a losing record and perhaps are not such a good team after all. Who knows.

The deal is the Cowboys have beaten the only teams that we think matter in the NFC East.

Dallas likely is not a top tier team in the NFL but they are currently the class of the division and no amount of whining about schedules or luck changes that.

If Dallas is lucky, they will be facen the same injury depleted Bucs and Patriots teams that the Skins played against.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Here they come... on cue.. as predicted. Amazing what a 4-1 does to a fan's psyche.

The difference is.. when we were 3-1... a lot of fans acknowledged it was a hollow record. But Cowboys fans are a completely different animal.

A well coached team with mediocre players that is 4-1 is definitely not a hollow record by any means. I would rather we be a well-coached team at 1-4, as opposed to 3-2 as we are now. At least there would be some light at the end of the tunnel.

I hate the Cowboys even more.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

you'd really prefer to be 1-4 instead of our current 3-3? you might as well win while you're learning lessons. at least the skins have done that to an extent.

I didn't mean that I want our record to be worse. IMHO I think that this team needs a coaching philosophy overhaul, once again. I know that it won't happen. I'm just giving my opinion.

After the Lions game, the Cowgirls schedule gets pretty tough. They will wind up with a 8 and 8 record at best. They will only win 2 or 3 after they beat the Lions. Mark my words.

This biased rant you go on is hilarious. Even though Dallas has already beaten the two teams experts felt were most likely to challenge as division champs, they haven't played anybody yet.

I hope you are right and Dallas hasn't played anybody good. That will make winning the division a cakewalk.

The next time they play the Giants and Eagles it will be a different story. Both of those teams have alot of injuries and historically they are much better late in the season. I wasn't even counting them as losses anyway though. Do you really think they're going to beat Carolina, Tampa Bay, New England, Miami, and the Skins twice?? Let alone beat the Saints at home in the last game of the season and sweep both the Eagles and Giants??

Man, this 4 and 1 record has really gotten you Dallas fans in a state of denial. Hahahaha!!! I can't wait!!

You all have 1 more win than we do and we aren't very good at all. Yet.

Detroit is desperate and Dallas has always been a team to take a week off when they're too confident and think they're all that. I've already placed my bet. You? lol.
After the Lions game, the Cowgirls schedule gets pretty tough. They will wind up with a 8 and 8 record at best. They will only win 2 or 3 after they beat the Lions. Mark my words.

AkaD, I got the impression from that first quote you were picking the Lions. Did you actually put your money on the Cowboys?

I would give the Cowboys the edge over the Skins right now for one simple reason: 2-0 vs the division compared to 0-2 vs. the division. That right there might have plenty of value come week 13-16, considering how close the division could be. If the Skins sweep out the rest of the division games(which is unlikely) then 4-2 vs. the division is still good, but the cowboys by starting 2-0, have taken advantage of two NFC East teams that were not at full strength, and again that is something the Skins failed to do.

Also, regarding the Cowboys schedule, no one said it was easy, just the games so far have been light. The Cowboys schedule is indeed a tough one, which is exactly why most of us feel they will be knocked back to earth over the course of the next 8 weeks.

I still say the Skins are the better team by week 16, but hey you never know, the Pokes have built themselves at least a temporary nice cushion atop the NFC East

No. I bet on the Lions. It'll be a sure win with the spread. The Cowgirls will probably win, but I will most likely win too. I got the Lions and 14 points. :D

I doubt the Lions will lay down. I don't think it's a definite win for the 'Girls by any means.

True NoCal, but remember, we lost both of those division games by a total of 5 points and it took overtime in the one decided by three. We play 6 divisional games. I think if we go 1-1 against NY and the Eagles we'll be just fine. I anticipate sweeping the Cowgirls. That would make us 4 and 2 in the division. Even if we split with the 'Girls, we'll be 3-3 in our division. Normally the teams that do really well against our division that are in our division, don't have playoff records. I don't anticipate any change in that.

Archived