Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ainge made a bad trade.  I think he utterly botched this offseason and that he should have committed to rebuilding around Fultz and the Nets pick for next year with a roster buttressed by strong role playing vets like Bradley and Crowder.

Instead he squandered the good fortune of getting the #1 pick by trading down for a much lesser prospect and then traded Crowder and Thomas and next year's pick to acquire two guys who were not substantial upgrades over the outgoing players.  Indeed Thomas significantly outplayed Irving last season.  Not only that, Ainge lost Bradley and Olynyk in the process of these acquisitions.  And going from Amir Johnson to Marcus Morris is probably a downgrade TBH.  People also seem to think the Euro player they traded was a quality prospect.  Ainge paid full price for Irving when better players in Butler and George got traded for tremendously less.

They have two shot creators now instead of one, but neither are top 10 or even top 15 players and there is no guarantee that offense will actually perform substantially better to justify the big decline in defense that's coming.  Horford's in decline.  Irving's health is even less reliable than Thomas's and he's not as good an off ball player, which was critical for making last season's offense so successful.  Marcus Smart is now going to have to start for them and he sucks.  They lost some perimeter shooting.  Rozier still sucks.  And the rest of their bench is an unplayable collection of rookies and second year guys.

And now Boston is pretty much capped out and has nothing really big left from the Pierce/Garnett/Rivers trade hauls.  This is their construction.  Kyrie Irving & Gordon Hayward aren't scaring anyone.  Maybe Kyrie could make a Harden-like leap now that he's got his own team again, but I doubt it.  I think LeBron made him far better than he was on his own, his career was sputtering before LeBron came back and saved it.  Plus his leadership is garbage, and given that he shat on LeBron, of all people, I can't see him letting Hayward run the show.  Irving and Hayward are known quantities.  Tatum and Brown are Boston's only X factors left.

I think this will be death by a thousand cuts for Ainge and Stevens.  I think they take a step back this season and that the long term upside of this construction turns out to be lower than they hoped.

1. I just had the first paragraph of this rant tattooed across my back like a Bible verse.

2. The much lesser prospect is a potential rookie of the year who shots freaking 47 percent from three. The guy they passed on has a mysterious shoulder injury that is forcing him to become a left-hander.

3. The Celtics are the best defensive team in the league.

4. Irving is an MVP candidate.

5. The Celtics have no other assets left to build with. Except a returning Hayward and maybe a top five pick in the upcoming draft thanks to the Lakers being awful.

6. I think we can all agree that the Celtics have taken a tremendous step backwards and their long-term future is bleak. What they really need to do is spend the next five years fantasizing about a trade for Boogie Cousins. That's how winners are built.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The Celtics are more talented this year than last but I actually think we match up better with them now with Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk gone. Seem weird to say I know, but just the sense I get.

And IT and Crowder.  Those guys killed us.  Them ending up in Cleveland plus Jeff Green means we'll never beat them.

I  honestly don't get how he is playing for one of the greatest teams of all time.  JaVale's entire purpose as a basketball player is to make high and lowlight reels while chewing up minutes for losers.

I guess the Warriors feel bad about being so much better than everyone else that they keep him around as a mild handicap?

23 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He also can’t defend a pick n roll to save his life. 

Hot take. 

Curry is the GOAT offensive player 

It’s not a hot take.

Only Shaq came close to the impact Curry has on the opposition defense. Curry warps defenses in a way I have never seen.

The Warriors offense struggled without Curry and went over 120 points once. He comes back and I don’t think they have scored under 120 points in a game.

Curry is a legendary player, one of the all time greatest, which is weird when you consider how unimpressive physically and athletically he looks compared to basketball greats.  He barely gets off the ground on his jump shot.  Doesn't dunk.  His wingspan is just a smidge longer than his height.  We've come to expect superstars to look the part, to have some freakish characteristic, and Curry simply doesn't.  Yet watching him play should fill any fan of the game with joy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Durant is the best player in the nba but Curry is the Most Impactful Player. 

I don't know how you can say Durant is the best player in the league when he is playing with the most impactful player in the league. Perhaps he looks like the best player in the league only because he plays with Curry. Switch LeBron with Durant and I think the argument KD is the best player in the league falls apart. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I don't know how you can say Durant is the best player in the league when he is playing with the most impactful player in the league. Perhaps he looks like the best player in the league only because he plays with Curry. Switch LeBron with Durant and I think the argument KD is the best player in the league falls apart. 

Would make a lot of sense if we hadn’t seen Durant outplay and beat LeBron without Curry.

Durant is the LeBron neutralizer but Curry makes that team go.

We saw how impactful Shaq was in the 2006 finals even though Wade was the best player. Shaq still commanded a double team.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin