Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This China situation has been ugly for the NBA.  Uglier for China.  

Made uglier by the fact that an nba owner is an apologist for China.  The nets owner essentially called any comment viewed as challenging Chinese sovereignty as ignorant.  I hope reporters put the screws to Joseph Tsai about what sorts of comments are acceptable.  Can nba employees talk about China using political prisoners as organ farms?  Can they talk about the cultural genocide of Tibet and Uighur Muslims?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

Made uglier by the fact that an nba owner is an apologist for China.  The nets owner essentially called any comment viewed as challenging Chinese sovereignty as ignorant.  I hope reporters put the screws to Joseph Tsai about what sorts of comments are acceptable.  Can nba employees talk about China using political prisoners as organ farms?  Can they talk about the cultural genocide of Tibet and Uighur Muslims?   

Yep.  Straight up apologia that is incompatible with American values.

China doesn't seem to care about how they look the the world outside their borders, but this thuggish behavior by their government and state run industries doesn't sit right with me.  They think they can just silence foreigners and buy them off with their wealth.  It's what they've always done.  And it should make American and European industry think twice about doing business in China.  They are a retrograde, brutal totalitarian regime with an anti-competitive control economy that is fundamentally incompatible with our values.

19 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Agree with one of the comments does the NBA really need China that bad to cost its image with everyone else? If they want to ban the games in China, let them.  They are talking about what they consider free speech, NBA is based in America, act like it.

Should we be moving this convo to the China thread instead of having it in two places at the same time?

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

**** China.  They don't know the first thing about free speech.  Add forcing their people to watch nothing but their own bull**** basketball leagues to their list of human rights violations.

they know about it, they just don't give a **** about it. a distinct, but important difference. their statement said as such

I really like Steve Kerr but his Answer on China is deeply disappointing..  

Kerr was asked if during his various trips to China, the disconnect between the Warriors' interests in China and the country's human rights record has ever come up.

"It has not come up in terms of people asking about it, people discussing it," Kerr said. "Nor has our record of human rights abuses come up, either. Things that our country needs to look at and resolve. That hasn't come up either. None of us are perfect. We all have different issues we have to get to. Saying that is my right as an American. It doesn't mean that I hate my country. It means I want to address the issue. But people in China didn't ask me about, you know, people owning AR-15s and mowing each other down in a mall. I wasn't asked that question.

"We can play this game all we want and go all over the map. There's this issue and that issue. The world is a complex place, and there's more gray than black and white. I realize that what's popular these days is making it black and white. You're either good or you're evil. It's convenient to do things that way, but not realistic."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27817767/steve-kerr-says-being-called-president-trump-was-surreal

There is nothing ****ing gray about genocides.  Plural.  There is nothing gray about political re-education camps.  There is nothing gray about using political prisoners as organ farms.  

Kerr could have just been a coward like James Harden and refused to answer.  What he did was worse.   By going the equivalency route, he offered China cover instead with his verbose version of the ol “nobodies perfect” routine.  

I’d rather they just be honest and say “Chinese people buy sneakers too” because as despicable as that is, at least it’s honest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The NBA and all of these other American companies doing censorship for the CCP really have no idea who they've gone into business with.  They've shown their ass at almost every point in this debacle.

And the CCP are out of their ****ing minds too if they think they can flex and censor the speech of Americans in America without consequence.  They don't understand us either.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And the CCP are out of their ****ing minds too if they think they can flex and censor the speech of Americans in America without consequence.  They don't understand us either.

They understand American corporations well, imo. Money over everything.

And Israel is currently doing this in the USA with anti-BDS policy. 

55 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They understand American corporations well, imo. Money over everything.

And Israel is currently doing this in the USA with anti-BDS policy. 

They're going to cool American willingness to do business with them because of the ****storm censorship has created in the US.  Nobody wants to be in the position that the NBA and Blizzard find themselves in.  That's the other side of the coin.

• Like 1

I cant get too worked up over this China situation, only because it would be disingenuous of me to do so.  There's no shortage of major corporations out here willing to trade places with the NBA and do the kind of business they do in China. The NBA was just unlucky enough to be put on the spot about it. 

Sure, they took a meely mouthed approach to it, but I also didnt expect them to take a strong stance and jeopardize the whole operation either.

Just sell your merch, send folks over there for appearances and clinics and such from time to time, you dont need preseason games there.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The NBA and all of these other American companies doing censorship for the CCP really have no idea who they've gone into business with.  They've shown their ass at almost every point in this debacle.

I think they know exactly who they're doing business with.  They just hope this kind of stuff blows over (which it will) and they can fly under the radar as the money continues to roll in. 

I mean, they kind of already influence the expression of Americans to a degree.  Just look at the movies.  How many scripts have been changed just to not piss off the Chinese government?  Villains written as Chinese mysteriously become North Korean and whatnot.  Who else gets away with this?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're going to cool American willingness to do business with them because of the ****storm censorship has created in the US.  Nobody wants to be in the position that the NBA and Blizzard find themselves in.  That's the other side of the coin.

No they aren’t. American business is interested in accessing a market of 2 billion people. This is the wealthy and powerful corporations getting their skirts lifted.

This is like the final frontier of capitalism. Accessing state funds from other nations to support their corporations.

56 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Sure, they took a meely mouthed approach to it, but I also didnt expect them to take a strong stance and jeopardize the whole operation either.

Just sell your merch, send folks over there for appearances and clinics and such from time to time, you dont need preseason games there.

Whole operation?  There isn't a single NBA franchise in China, they are all in North America.  Losing the China market wouldnt jeopardize anything except access to the market, one they not only dont need but did fine without targeting for decades before they tried. 

Same with Blizzard, they wont go bankrupt without that market, and @stevemcqueen1 is right that if American companies start prioritizing the China market over American market, they got another thing coming being this open about it.  Save your freedom commercials and salute to service hypocrisy. 

I remember when the PRISM program got outted by Snowden, its was after the public backlash that tech companies finally tried to seem like they were never on board with it and tried to prioritize security of their customers for reputation sake.  Apple is perfect example of this, their business model shift to point they went head to head with government over San Bernadino shooters.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whole operation?  There isn't a single NBA franchise in China, they are all in North America.  Losing the China market wouldnt jeopardize anything except access to the market, one they not only dont need but did fine without targeting for decades before they tried. 

I merely meant the whole operation in China, specifically, which is quite lucrative.  Not the entire NBA.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I merely meant the whole operation in China, specifically, which is quite lucrative.  Not the entire NBA.

Lucrative, but worth it?  Is the money made in the China market worth what it cost in the American one?  Well have to see, comments like Kerr make it harder to simply day Blizzard handled this worse then NBA did.  Blizzard jus tried to shut people up, they didnt go so far as whataboutism.  Smaller companies can get decimated for coming out in favor of Trump too hard, I'm not sure where this is going, jus know it isnt over.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Lucrative, but worth it?  Is the money made in the China market worth what it cost in the American one?  Well have to see, comments like Kerr make it harder to simply day Blizzard handled this worse then NBA did.  Blizzard jus tried to shut people up, they didnt go so far as whataboutism.  Smaller companies can get decimated for coming out in favor of Trump too hard, I'm not sure where this is going, jus know it isnt over.

To answer your question, it probably is.  They werent gonna make any more money stateside standing up to China.   And they wont lose enough in the US that wont be made up by the Chinese market.  The NBA in China is worth $4 billion.  They're not losing $4 billion in the US.