Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

This is embarrassing.  The tournament happens every 4 years.  We lose in the quarters because our players are too tired to play.  

These tournaments ruined Yao Ming, I don't blame players taking time off.

Plus most stars would rather play in the Olympics.

I can't criticize the players who lost the game even though it's tempting to make fun of the Celtics, because they actually cared enough to show up.  But it is a disgrace for USA basketball.

We're losing ground against the rest of the world.  Euro programs collectively have gotten better than ours, and their stars aren't as spoiled as ours.  There has been an American talent gap starting from 2013 on too.  These are the young guys who should be playing for Team USA and with the exception of a few shiny stars, they're just not that good as a group.  The NBA is going to hit a talent lull when the 2007-2012 generation ages into retirement.

20 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Millions or a gold medal? I would skip the medal every time. 

They are getting their millions either way basically.  Basketball is the only sport where our Americans skip tournaments.  Heck our NHL players get rocked all year in grueling seasons and still make every tournament they can.  Pretty sad we’re sending at best a D team.  Our B team could give 50% and win the WC easily.  We thought we could just send a half butt team over and walk through everyone.  Deserve to get slapped around for that disrespect.

24 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Not exactly true. By all means they wanted to send a better team, the players declined for various, understandable reasons.

The reasons- A shoe deal.

Like I said we have plenty of US athletes go through tough or tougher seasons and still don’t pass up tournaments (Heck some athletes play year round in various sports with little break between tournaments and international.).  There two tournaments that happen every 4 years for basketball. Don’t think that’s asking much to represent.   Not simply when you get to more publicity for your branding and endorsements like the Olympics. 

24 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

The reasons- A shoe deal.

Like I said we have plenty of US athletes go through tough or tougher seasons and still don’t pass up tournaments (Heck some athletes play year round in various sports with little break between tournaments and international.).  There two tournaments that happen every 4 years for basketball. Don’t think that’s asking much to represent.   Not simply when you get to more publicity for your branding and endorsements like the Olympics. 

Lets not pretend that this fiba world cup has that same prestige as the soccer world cup. I'm sure they envision it getting that big, but it aint there yet. I just cant get worked up about this one. The olympics would be a different story

Not many really good American players have come into the NBA in the last six years.  If you could build two teams out of the best American players to come into the NBA since 2013 vs the best international players in the same span, you would absolutely pick the international team.  They would kill the American team and it wouldn't be close.

American basketball is in rapid decline while the rest of the world has strengthened.  This dog**** Team USA roster and WC performance was the canary in the coal mine of a much larger systemic issue in American basketball.

• Like 1

FIBA shot themselves in the foot by moving the tourney to the year before the Olympics.  But that disadvantaged international NBA players too.

The biggest issue is that the American basketball development system sucks.  AAU and the NCAA both suck and systemically disadvantage top young American players compared to top young international players who get into better pipelines.  We've just had such a huge talent head start on the rest of the world that the effects of our crappy system have taken a while to catch up with us.  Well, it's caught up with us.  2012 was the last American dominant draft, and that came after a draft in 2011 where half the picks in the top ten were international.  From 2013 on, the top international players have been better.

We complain about sending over our F team to the WC, but the traditional purpose of the WC for Team USA has been to get young players into the program and get them experience and a chance to breakout.  10+ year vets aren't supposed to be the ones carrying Team USA in this competition.  When you look at the list of the best American players to enter the NBA since 2013, the only ones who skipped out were:

- CJ McCollum

- Aaron Gordon

- Devin Booker

- D'Angelo Russell. 

- Trae Young and Marvin Bagley too I guess, if you want to include rookies. 

Plus DeAaron Fox's late withdrawal hurt.

Look at how sad that list is man.  Not a consequential player among them.  Only one of them has won more than one NBA playoff game, and he's a second fiddle to Damian Lillard.  The young American players who've actually won anything in the NBA over the past six years were on the team.

We're about to enter a period where international players are largely going to be the ones keeping the lights on for the NBA, but it's still not a big enough pipeline to totally make up for the American line being reduced to a trickle.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Didn’t Paul George almost lose his career doing this FIBA deal?  That’s a pretty big deal for players of similar stature.

Bottom line, we made the Olympic field and that’s all that really matters.

Paul George played in the 2016 Olympics.

No one is going to talk about this in the media but US basketball youth coaching is poor and that’s why other nations have caught up. European youth coaches are much better than US youth coaches. I include college too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

No one is going to talk about this in the media but US basketball youth coaching is poor and that’s why other nations have caught up. European youth coaches are much better than US youth coaches. I include college too.

I 100% agree with this.  The incentive structures for coaches and players at the youth and college levels are all screwed up to the point where honest to god development is a very low priority.

I also think our system puts far too much wear and tear on players in their tween and early teens to the point where too many are developing terrible legs, backs, and feet by the time they're grown.

And I think the NBA is eventually going to start feeling a talent crunch that can't be made up in the short term by international expansion.  Too many of our best American players have been getting career-altering injuries too young, and not enough top end American talent has come through the pipeline to replace them.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I 100% agree with this.  The incentive structures for coaches and players at the youth and college levels are all screwed up to the point where honest to god development is a very low priority.

I also think our system puts far too much wear and tear on players in their tween and early teens to the point where too many are developing terrible legs, backs, and feet by the time they're grown.

And I think the NBA is eventually going to start feeling a talent crunch that can't be made up in the short term by international expansion.  Too many of our best American players have been getting career-altering injuries too young, and not enough top end American talent has come through the pipeline to replace them.

The parallel is the way soccer is structure in our country. Youth coaching is the big problem but basketball has larger participation levels so we don’t see as big of an issue.

Youth coaching has always been bad but the Europeans have surpassed us in coaching and have innovated the sport more than Americans the last 20 years.

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The parallel is the way soccer is structure in our country. Youth coaching is the big problem but basketball has larger participation levels so we don’t see as big of an issue.

Youth coaching has always been bad but the Europeans have surpassed us in coaching and have innovated the sport more than Americans the last 20 years.

Bad coaching and high levels of participation go hand in hand though.  I can't see how you can facilitate very high levels of participation in a country like ours without very low standards of professionalism in youth coaching.

We need a new system of youth basketball, but we're not going to be able to copy European models because our country is too big and decentralized.  We're going to have to figure out something novel.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Which is why we pretty much deserve this.

• Like 1