Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HOW MUCH better do you feel about 2013 after the draft?

DCthomahal

I feel good about the season. I don't think we could have realistically asked for more. They pretty much kept last year's team together, and added some cheap talent at positions of need. I would have been happy with either one of those safties at 51, and they got both of them with later picks.

That's the bottom line for me as well. This is just about the best I can imagine feeling about our prospects after everything that has happened.

I have to admit to not being a shanahan fan (think Allen is great), but think about what the cap penalty and the lack of a first rounder at the same time would have done to a Jim Zorn team, a Spurrier team, a Snyder controlled team ...excuse me, I have to put my head between my legs.

Since we drafted a RB, any word on how Helu is doing?

While Thompson is fast, remember that Helu ran a 4.42 40 at the combine (for comparison, RG3s official time is 4.41)

and Helu was pretty good out of the backfield and has excellent hands (I think he ended up fourth on the team in receptions his rookie year)

Helu just has durability issues....

I wonder what the depth chart for RB will look like this year, because now, there's Morris, Royster, Helu, and Thompson

MEL 25 I couldn't agree more about the suprise of getting Thomas and Rambo after pick 51. The TE pick really threw me for a loop....... but love the idea of a 2 TE set with great pass catching ability, just one more twist to the offense.

Overall I am very happy about our draft, and have even more trust in our F.O. great job!!!!!!!!!

While Thompson is fast, remember that Helu ran a 4.42 40 at the combine (for comparison, RG3s official time is 4.41)

and Helu was pretty good out of the backfield and has excellent hands (I think he ended up fourth on the team in receptions his rookie year)

Helu just has durability issues....

I wonder what the depth chart for RB will look like this year, because now, there's Morris, Royster, Helu, and Thompson

I asked the same question about Helu a couple weeks ago, and apparently he had another procedure done to alleviate pain, and has been doing a lot better since, and should be ready to go for OTA's, minicamp, etc

I don't know. I feel more comfortable about the secondary, but I still thought some WRs were necessary.

Maybe the staff likes the progress of Hankerson and Robinson and also thinks Morgan will look more explosive recovering from the bad ankle. I'm just not sold yet on the playmaking ability of this offense to take the pressure off RGIII.

If Hankerson breaks out this year, this is a very complete team.

I thought so too but I think we would have gone WR had one of our guys made it to us at the right spot. As it stands we did pick up Reed who for all intents and purposes is another Receiving threat but also one that because he is a TE allows us more flexibility in packages and sets than a WR would.

I guess we will see how the guys come along this year. That will tell alot about what our priorities are next offseason if Morgan steps up or not and Hank develops or not and how we will go forward.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6593/roy-helu This is one thing that keeps me from being a Shanahan fan: says stuff like Helu has suffered a recent setback but is close to 100% ...whatever. In any case, it looks like it is going to be very difficult to have any confidence in Helu's condition any time soon. I would like to see them try to develop Alfred's ability to catch the ball, but yeah Reed and Thompson may be reason to hope for improvement in our 3rd down percentage. That would be great!

have no proof of this, but theres just a "feeling" that we may go after Winston now that the draft is over. He should come VERY cheap.

Well his market is pretty dry now with so many OT going in the draft. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call and see if he has come down to reality on his asking price. Miami is still a big threat for him thugh

I have no proof of this, but theres just a "feeling" that we may go after Winston now that the draft is over. He should come VERY cheap.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/9/4204832/eric-winston-rumors-frustrated-free-agency I think we do have at least a couple players left we could restructure, right? Front office has seemed to want to do that as little as possible. I would be thrilled if it could be done, myself. Live in KC area, liked Winston quite a bit.

Not that we drafted a "Vernon Davis" but if you can draft a TE that is big & fast and can create mis-matches, they are just like having another WR on the field.

Fred Davis has shown glimpses, but I think what is important to remember is how crucial having stud TE's are to this offense. Not necessarily to be catching 80 passes a year like a Witten or V. Davis, but just to be weapons out there on the field that create automatic mismatches.

Once Fred Davis went down, RGIII and this offense went out there and still won the division despite not having a TE that was ever gameplanned for. Think about that, and now think about what having the right TE (or 2) will do for this offense.

I don't know. I feel more comfortable about the secondary, but I still thought some WRs were necessary.

Maybe the staff likes the progress of Hankerson and Robinson and also thinks Morgan will look more explosive recovering from the bad ankle. I'm just not sold yet on the playmaking ability of this offense to take the pressure off RGIII.

If Hankerson breaks out this year, this is a very complete team.

Jordan Reed will most likely be more of a slot WR than a te. He's one he'll of a playmaker

I have to admit to not being a shanahan fan (think Allen is great), but think about what the cap penalty and the lack of a first rounder at the same time would have done to a Jim Zorn team, a Spurrier team, a Snyder controlled team ...excuse me, I have to put my head between my legs.

Yeah, don't bring that up lol. The thing that I was impressed with is that they were willing to take their lumps this year and work with what they have, as opposed to putting the future in danger. The players responded though, and took pay cuts to stay here. They have a "win now" mentality, but with a commitment to building the right way.

MEL 25 I couldn't agree more about the suprise of getting Thomas and Rambo after pick 51. The TE pick really threw me for a loop....... but love the idea of a 2 TE set with great pass catching ability, just one more twist to the offense.

Overall I am very happy about our draft, and have even more trust in our F.O. great job!!!!!!!!!

I didn't really get excited about the TE pick until we got Thomas. I'm loving ALL the picks after we got Rambo. I keep hearing the word "athlete" when they talk about Reed. Once I heard a little more about him, I started to think they might be able to get creative with him. The 2 RBs seem like guys who can come in at any moment and take it to the house. The one from FSU had a bunch of read option highlights. So I can't wait to see what he does.

I wanted them to draft Sweinke from Cal but i knew we wouldn't, before last year the Redskins felt as i did that the center and rt guard where weaknesses but they both played very well and did a great job. But they hadnt stayed healthy all year or played particularly well before last year.I still wanted them to try and sign Eric Winston, but i am getting the felling they don't want him, they could do a multi year contract and work the numbers for this year. paying 2 to 2.5 mil with the rest being a signing bonus the is spread out over the length of the contract. Is Leribus going to play guard or center ? i have heard he is better suited to the center position in the pro.s. Next year at free agency will be wild though i am not sure what kind of crop will be available.Knowing our luck it will be the leanest in years. at least they got Phillip Thomas. The rb selection is very questionable due to a long history of injuries. He's very quick and has some speed but he is only 5"8 and less than 185 pds. i also wanted us to get the Texas A&M wr B Swope. only time will tell but i felt we should have got a ilb as well. Riddick and Mauti would have been good.Give them a year with and under Fletcher and let them go.

Very impressive. And they didn't have to make any trades up to land their guys. As far as OL types go - there are still a pile of walkons out there that come into camp and show something. I like Centers P.J. Lonergan (LSU) and Golic Jr (Notre Dame) - at least for a look.

Lonergan http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/p.j.-lonergan?id=2539967

Golic http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/mike-golic?id=2541139 Note: I am pretty sure some stoner over at NFL.com has transposed the 4 & 5 of his 40 yd dash times...if he really was running under 4.6 @ 6-3/300 he defiantly would have made the cut.

I am glad the FO drafted 4 defensive players and I am OK with the TE. 2 RB's though?? No way. Drafting 1 RB doesn't hurt but I think they should have drafted a OL. I guess the FO will go through free agency for a WR and OL.

Shanny said he simoly couldn't pass up the value in Jamison. We all know an Irishman can't pass on Jamison.

If 2 of those players can become solid starters by the end of the season; then this draft will be a success.

It's interesting. I want to say that finding 2 starters out of this draft is easy, but then I look at what we've picked. Amerson will be good, and could probably start on some bad teams but with Hall, Wilson and newly acquired Biggers; this seems unlikely. Then you look at Jordan Reed. He could sneak in some starts with either two TE sets or if Davis can't play for some reason. I think the player with the most potential to start every game right off the bat is Phillip Thomas. The two RB's are just depth, and if they sneak in some PT due to injuries or roster changes (bye bye Royster) then good for them. Rambo could see significant time if Merriweather keeps injuring himself, but he has to (and should?) beat Doughty out of that backup role.

Is Brandon Jenkins an OLB or DE? I am visioning him as a Rob Jackson type player, just OLB depth. Maybe get some DE action on 3rd and long?

Archived