Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Shanahan Is The Only Coach To Draft A First Round Pro Bowler Every Year Since 2010

rd421

its a bit depressing to know that we had this talent in-house for so many years, but weren't being utilized like they were supposed to be. We're fortunate that they stayed the course during the transition between Vinny to (Bruce & Shanny). At some point they need to get their just due for what they've done in only a short time.

Imagine how frustrating it must have been for them. They had to sit and watch Cerrato make mistakes that they were advising him not to do.

Our last two drafts have been nothing short of spectacular. If this keeps up we will be one of the best teams in the league. Mark my words.

True story. Drafts have been great, can't wait to see what we do this season without a 1st rounder.

It is nice but too bad the streak comes to an end this year since we don't have a first rounder.

C'mon don't be such a debbie downer. The streak is coming to an end for good reason, we have Robert Griffin! I'll look forward to the streak still not starting back up next year when we continue to not have a first rounder. Why? Cause I don't care! We have Robert Griffin.

:cool:

I've longed argued that passing on Gabert will go down as the best move Shanahan made in DC, and one of the best moves of his career. That took balls to do. A team desperate for a QB--largely desperate for almost two decades--has arguably the best QB prospect in the draft fall in their laps 10th overall. And he trades the pick. The situation in Jacksonville is what happens when you make the moves you're SUPPOSED to make, i.e. Gabert, i.e. Heath Shuler for example, instead of making the RIGHT moves.

I still think Locker is the pick if he makes it to us though, so thank you Tennessee.

Anyway, that article was great to read just for the description of Williams. Thanks for writing/posting.

You could go as far back as 2004 when it comes to our first rounders becoming Pro Bowlers. Although a couple of them got there with different teams:

2004-Sean Taylor

2005-Carlos Rogers

2007-Laron Landry

2009-Brian Orakpo

2010-Trent Williams

2011-Ryan Kerrigan

2012-RG3

We didn't have firsts in 06 and 08, but our last seven first round picks have been named to the Pro Bowl at one point or another.

You could go as far back as 2004 when it comes to our first rounders becoming Pro Bowlers. Although a couple of them got there with different teams:

2004-Sean Taylor

2005-Carlos Rogers

2007-Laron Landry

2009-Brian Orakpo

2010-Trent Williams

2011-Ryan Kerrigan

2012-RG3

We didn't have firsts in 06 and 08, but our last seven first round picks have been named to the Pro Bowl at one point or another.

Really not that hard when you're picking top 10-12 every year. I mean outside of Kerrigan, which of those picks was surprising? That's why teams like the Lions are so damn shocking. Shanahan and Allen will really make their rep when they're drafting Pro Bowlers every year in the 20-30 range.

In 2011 - There was no question - no question at all that we were going to select a QB - No question - in fact there was some speculation about trading up to grab someone like Gabbert citing him as a posible No .2. overall selection - IF we could not get that choice pick - then we were going defense - but Kerrigan was briefly talked about but was dismissed as a target because there were better options as pass rushers like Robert Quinn who was heavily trailed - But the Redskins FO kept it powder dry and continued to try and recoup some of the damage done over the last decade or so by trading back and picking up a high character - good tryer in Kerrigan rather than a standout player .. even later in the draft we could have moved to pick up Dalton and possibly Kaep - ( but in year 2 of the Ginger wonder - you started to see the roof of his potential) and we totally confounded critics ...doing it their own way -

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree here. The general attitude out of Redskins Park leading up to the draft was that a pass rusher was our top priority. Mike Shanahan said as much himself:

I think [outside pass-rusher] ranks right at the top. Obviously when you have any consistent defense, using the 3-4, you've got to have two great outside pass-rushers, a great nose tackle and a great safety.

The team needed a QB no doubt but the point I made was that drafting a pass rusher #1 did not come out of left field. It was a giant hole on our defense and our head coach stated he intended to fill it via the draft.

I think in 2011, Mike Shanahan did an incredible job of creating smoke about Gabbert. While for the most part we sort of knew we were going pass rusher, in the week leading up to the draft, he completely and utterly shifted that perception. The front office had everyone convinced Gabbert was the pick. It was being reported and leaked everywhere. It even got our insiders to bite on it. The front office played that card beautifully, got Jacksonville to panic and trade up, the used the picks they got to replenish the roster with young talent.

It showed a level of savvy that we hadn't seen since Bobby Beathard. That's what smart front offices do.

Three first round Pro Bowlers, and it really should be four Pro Bowlers all together --- Alfred Morris was robbed.

Really not that hard when you're picking top 10-12 every year. I mean outside of Kerrigan, which of those picks was surprising? That's why teams like the Lions are so damn shocking. Shanahan and Allen will really make their rep when they're drafting Pro Bowlers every year in the 20-30 range.

No doubt, but teams screw up top 5-10 picks all the time. Although in a way we did too, I mean we could have had Aaron Rodgers or Demarcus Ware instead of Carlos Rogers, or Adrian Peterson or Darrelle Revis over Laron Landry.

We've always been good at drafting first rounders. ... with the possible exception of LaRon Landry, we have usually hit in the first round.

Gonna stand up for Landry on this one. I think the pick was sound, he played well the season he got to share the field with Sean. 21 was the ball-hawk and better player of the two but you could see their styles of play complemented each others'. The way I'm looking at is if you look at the pick in a vacuum, it doesn't come off so good; but if you look at it as adding a complementary player to share the secondary with Taylor (who was clearly looking like a future HOFer at the time), then it makes a lot of sense. And I think history has borne out that he needed Sean back there to bring out his full potential.

Gonna stand up for Landry on this one. I think the pick was sound, he played well the season he got to share the field with Sean. 21 was the ball-hawk and better player of the two but you could see their styles of play complemented each others'. The way I'm looking at is if you look at the pick in a vacuum, it doesn't come off so good; but if you look at it as adding a complementary player to share the secondary with Taylor (who was clearly looking like a future HOFer at the time), then it makes a lot of sense. And I think history has borne out that he needed Sean back there to bring out his full potential.

I don't disagree. I just know he's a bit of a lightning rod around here.

But yeah, I'd personally list him as a good pick too.

Archived