Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To homeschool or not to homeschool?

Hitman21ST

Part of learning is being around your peers constantly and developing real world skills which, in my mind, you can only get at a school.

Unless your school system is Compton or Detroit bad, don't even consider it

Pointing out that there's no RULE that says home schooled children must be kept locked in the basement, 24-7.

Although, granted, it also seems logical, to me, that there's only one possible reason for home schooling.*

It's not because the parent wants to teach the child something which the school isn't teaching. Parents have always had the ability, and the obligation, to teach things over and above the school's curriculum.

It's because the parent wants to keep the child ignorant about something. To keep them from finding out something which the parent feels the child might learn, which the parent doesn't want him to learn.

You don't have to keep your kid locked away from the evils of school, to teach your child that Christianity exists. You do have to keep him locked away, to keep him from learning that there are gays out there who aren't monsters.

* It would be more accurate to say "for the vast majority of people doing home schooling". To pick just one example which I'm sure exists, in places, I have no doubt that SOME home schooling takes place because the child is special in one way or another, and the parent believes that an education provided by a parent, who is custom tailoring the education for that individual student, is better than the education said child will get from a public school system which is multitasking 30 students, who aren't like this one, special, one.

I'm certain that there are exceptions. But I'm also certain that they ARE the exceptions.

I'm sure there's some situation where homeschooling is the right choice, but in most cases it's probably not. 

Socialization: the new counter argument by homeschool proponents is that homeschooled kids are not isolated. Their parents now link up with other homeschooled kids to create some socialization in their lives.

The problem with that is that it's still self-selected—kids won't encounter people who aren't approved by their parents the way they would in a "normal" school. You won't encounter other viewpoints about life, religion, political affiliation, socio-economic classes, etc. That's the aspect of socialization that homeschooler don't get. 

Curriculum:

This is another fad in the thinking of homeschoolers popularized by some kid on YouTube recently. Apparently, homeschool kids get to choose how they learn about the world through the prism of their interests. So for instance, they're interested in bugs they'll learn art by drawing bugs, biology by dissecting bugs, English by reading about bugs, and Math by adding and subtracting bug themed problems. 

But do you see the problem with this? It leads to a very narrow world view. Education is about broadening horizons and learning about things that you wouldn't encounter on your own. If this mode of thinking persisted we'd still be teaching an agricultural based education. 

To base the foundation of one's education on what one's interests are at age 5 seems silly. 

But I'm not unbiased. I hate the concept of homeschooling because, to me, the people that want it are narrow minded and intolerant. They want to protect their kids from the (perceived) evils of the world. I hate it because teaching is a skill and parents not educated in it are probably doing their kids a disservice. If your kid has a learning disability that the schools cannot address, sure. If your kid is being savagely bullied, sure. Yeah, it's my own brand of intolerance.

So, what do you think the goal (original or otherwise) of government funded schools are? And has it succeeded or failed to meet that goal?

Also, how do you expect anybody to take the so-called "socialization" argument seriously, especially when you see things like the epidemic of bullying in schools (at least that's what the TV tells me)? Because thats the type of social skills I want them to learn, either to be a bully or how to be bullied.

So, what do you think the goal (original or otherwise) of government funded schools are? And has it succeeded or failed to meet that goal?

To provide every member of society (well, to be precise, as large a number as possible) with the basic education which citizens must possess, to take their place in society.

Which, I have to agree, can be both a blessing and a curse. It's not the purpose of the school system to educate tomorrow's doctors. It's to educate tomorrow's plumbers and nurses and salesmen and McDonald's managers.

IMO, you don't rate how well a school system does, by how well the top 1% do. You rate it by how well it does with the guy who's 10% from the bottom.

How does homeschooling/grades work with applying to college? Do they just count your SAT/AP/other test scores? Do you have a GPA given to you by parents or do you regularly take some other standardized tests?

I went to public school and am so thankful I did. Had good and bad experiences but it fully developed me into who I am. Adversity is not a bad thing. I would also agree that all homeschooled kids I've met are "weird" or , more accurately, very sheltered. I don't think that is good for anyone. Varied view points/ experiences are good for growth.

But anyway, I was realy just curious about the testing thing. I would think getting into college is very important for most people and I have no idea how homeschoolers are judged against public/private students in the application process.

Why do you keep going back to this tin-foil-hat argument about gov't funded schools? Am I educated? Yes. But in your view I'm just a domesticated-hoodwinked-brainwashed lackey for Comrades Obama and Boehner. 

From preschool until 6th Grade I was educated in a private Catholic school outside this country, what was their agenda?? Kinda makes your assumptions fall apart, huh? 

I'm not sure what your point is about socialization. 

Also, how do you expect anybody to take the so-called "socialization" argument seriously, especially when you see things like the epidemic of bullying in schools (at least that's what the TV tells me)?

For somebody who bumped this thread so that he could demonstrate how people are making up their minds about how terrible home schooling is, from a position of ignorance, you sure do seem to be citing TV and movies as sources a lot.

:)

Because thats the type of social skills I want them to learn, either to be a bully or how to be bullied.

Or how to deal with a bully?

Think that might be a useful skill, for later in life?

For somebody who bumped this thread so that he could demonstrate how people are making up their minds about how terrible home schooling is, from a position of ignorance, you sure do seem to be citing TV and movies as sources a lot.

Or how to deal with a bully?

Think that might be a useful skill, for later in life?

Larry you pathetic fool. ;) How to take care of bullies is addressed by the 2nd amendment. 

For somebody who bumped this thread so that he could demonstrate how people are making up their minds about how terrible home schooling is, from a position of ignorance, you sure do seem to be citing TV and movies as sources a lot. :)Or how to deal with a bully?Think that might be a useful skill, for later in life? :)

Just pointing out examples of culture that is so valued by folks. :)

So, being bullied is a positive thing Larry? Well then, let's encourage it so that we can all learn how to handle bullies.

Why do you keep going back to this tin-foil-hat argument about gov't funded schools? Am I educated? Yes. But in your view I'm just a domesticated-hoodwinked-brainwashed lackey for Comrades Obama and Boehner. 

From preschool until 6th Grade I was educated in a private Catholic school outside this country, what was their agenda?? Kinda makes your assumptions fall apart, huh? 

I'm not sure what your point is about socialization.

That's just it, its your point, not mine. "Socialization" is nothing but a straw man when you get down to cold hard facts..

My daughters best friend is/was home schooled.  She was a girl.  It was also for reasons of religion.  She was treated as women are in religion as well which I had a problem with.  The 2 girls in the family were treated differently than the 2 boys.

My daughter also played basketball in an Awana program which was mostly home schooled children.  They were definitely "different".  Of course you can always pick out a population in public school that are "different" as well.  So it's not saying that you can't be different on either side.

Just pointing out examples of culture that is so valued by folks. :)

So, being bullied is a positive thing Larry? Well then, let's encourage it so that we can all learn how to handle bullies.

So, arguing with imaginary voices is a positive thing?

My daughter also played basketball in an Awana program which was mostly home schooled children.  They were definitely "different".  Of course you can always pick out a population in public school that are "different" as well.  So it's not saying that you can't be different on either side.

A valid point.

I know that my high school pretty much consisted of 4-5 cliques. (None of which included me.) I assume that that's a pretty much universal experience.

Is being in the "I'm different, I was home schooled" clique really all that much more isolating or whatever term you want to use, than being in the jock clique, or the drama clique, or in my school, we had a group called "the grits", who were all the redneck wannabes, or any other such group?

A valid point.I know that my high school pretty much consisted of 4-5 cliques. (None of which included me.) I assume that that's a pretty much universal experience.Is being in the "I'm different, I was home schooled" clique really all that much more isolating or whatever term you want to use, than being in the jock clique, or the drama clique, or in my school, we had a group called "the grits", who were all the redneck wannabes, or any other such group?

Well, you get exposed to several cliques, not just one. So it's like 5 times more isolating. Lol

Also, if you're going to homeschool, have a plan for high school. Whatever it is, you have to have a plan for high school. Can't tell you how many homeschoolers I know had to get GEDs because their parents thought the county would just let them in.

Granted, I'm doing a lot of assuming. But I would assume that a GED was the goal, from the outset.

If you want to make your kid soft, homeschool them.

Depends what you mean by "soft". Football players used to say you were "soft" if you came out of a game due to concussion symptoms. Now most people realize what a foolish way of thinking that was.

Granted, I'm doing a lot of assuming. But I would assume that a GED was the goal, from the outset.

Honestly, most homeschoolers I know switch to public or more likely private schools at High School level for various reasons.

Also, if you're going to homeschool, have a plan for high school. Whatever it is, you have to have a plan for high school. Can't tell you how many homeschoolers I know had to get GEDs because their parents thought the county would just let them in.

My wife get's evaluated by the county school board twice a year where she has to present a portfolio for each child detailing work accomplished and progress.. It has to have artifacts. I have no problem with this by the way. Accountability is not a bad thing in this case.

My wife get's evaluated by the county school board twice a year where she has to present a portfolio for each child detailing work accomplished and progress.. It has to have artifacts. I have no problem with this by the way. Accountability is not a bad thing in this case.

So it's still sanctioned by gov't run education?

So it's still sanctioned by gov't run education?

Accountable to. Otherwise they don't really care as long as they are learning. Almost all of my friends and my wife are regularly told by the county that the kids are ahead of where "normal" public school students are academically. And my kids are generally done with all their work before 1PM. They start at 8. They love it. When my oldest was in public school he did terrible because as he would say "Hurry up and wait." He would always be one of the first finished with his work and have to wait twiddling his thumbs for others to finish. We all know what bored children are like. :) At home, he moves right on to something else.

What's the point in home schooling if you are just going to go to public or private school anyway?

I think some feel like the HS stuff is too advanced for heir teaching skills and that by the time they are there, the parents have built a solid foundation of ethics and values and they can filter out the stuff that is contrary and make wise decisions according to those values. Not always the case, but many times. One of the Christian schools also offers part time enrollment to supplement homeschoolers.

Accountable to. Otherwise they don't really care as long as they are learning. Almost all of my friends and my wife are regularly told by the county that the kids are ahead of where "normal" public school students are academically. And my kids are generally done with all their work before 1PM. They start at 8. They love it. When my oldest was in public school he did terrible because as he would say "Hurry up and wait." He would always be one of the first finished with his work and have to wait twiddling his thumbs for others to finish. We all know what bored children are like. :) At home, he moves right on to something else.

Maybe he was in the wrong tier of children.

My first daughter is off to college, unless your plans are to send your kid to some non accredited college like Pennsacola Christian College which some of my friends did, your kids will be hard pressed to compete and get scholarships being home schooled.  I love my public school system.  My daughter is currently in a program called Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.  The STEM program keeps the kids that study and work at an advanced pace together.  She is also required to do other activities like write a thesis and work internships while in high school.  She currently participates in a robotics program in after school hours.  Colleges are super competitive and if you had any dreams of really good college education and scholarships, I would think you would be hard pressed to get them with home schooling.

Besides the religious aspect, I think the problem with home school parents is they think they can shelter their kids from society, but you really can't.  Nor should they be sheltered.  The world is not that evil.  Most of us survived it and turned out OK.

Archived