Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Vegetable Gardening Thread

Ellis

Alright, ES!!! It's that time of year... Spring is around the corner! Time to get the seedlings ready for planting.

I know there's some vegetable gardeners in here. So I need some advice...

I have been gardening since I was an 8yr old kid, forced in to parental slave labor as a "weeder" of the garden. But that eventually turned in to a love of vegetable gardening and in one capacity or another, I have been gardening ever since. But there is one thing I have never done... and that's to use a garden box to grow the vegetables in.

Last year, my wife and I purchased a house with about a 1/5 of acre of land on a very slight gradient (maybe 4-5%.) There are very tall trees on the property of our neighbors so the area of the yard that receives the most sun is on a slight gradient that I believe would benefit greatly from a garden box to avoid being washed out or eroded throughout the year. Additionally, I'd prefer a garden box due to the mole problem this neighborhood seems to have.

So I've searched the interwebs for DIY sites and there's plenty of em. But I trust the judgement of others on ES and wanted to hear from any of you who have built one or use one.

Here's some pics of what I'm looking to (simply) build...

8' x 4' and should be about 8-12 inches deep.

I plan to dig down a few inches into the ground and have the wood slightly buried.

raised-bed-main-m.jpg?300:300

My biggest concern is what to put in the bottom to prevent moles and growth of grass and other things...

2409163704_6b4524b3dd.jpg

Any advice will be appreciated!! And I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you grow this year.

I built a 4x8 raised bed last year out of cedar, although I used 1x's due to cost. Mine looks very similar to the above except for board thickness. For the bottom, I got 1/2" square mesh and stapled it to the bottom. To allow for earlier planting/growing times, I bought clamps that I screwed into the inside of the boards and then used 1" PVC bent in an arch which allowed me to secure plastic overtop of the PVC pipes (4 of them). This can then be replaced with cheesecloth or mesh to try and limit bird/rabbit/deer munching.

My biggest mistake last year was I didn't do the soil mixture correctly (put too much manure in), but once I got that right, it was pretty succesful. 2 tomato plants, 2 ea red/green peppers, lettuce, green onions, cucumber (didn't work) and herbs (basil, parsley, rosemary, chives). Hopefully will go a bit better this year.

Edit: Here's what I used for bottom of planter to keep moles/voles out:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92202-16418-832202_4294730883__?storeNumber=2354&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4035103510%5D&pl=1&productId=3160839&ipTrail=138.162.0.41&Ns=p_product_avg_rating%7C1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1

We're starting out a bit small this year as we are going to be incorporating some of the vegetable garden in with the landscaping in the front yard. Out back,there's plenty of room. We've mapped out a few spots for a few dwarf fruit trees,raised,4'x4 gardens,hanging gardens,and vines,(going to try some grapes. :) ). Oh. And a few spots for potatoes. Have a small green house already built and ready back there along with a double tumbling composter I'm about ready to finish assembling.

I just bought a few window hangers to hang off my porch, next to my bar that I read, write and look at the ocean at. It just needed to. I think I'm only doing herbs though, just to have. I live behind an organic farm and hang out at a sustainable farming institute, so I can farm and garden seriously, when I need the zen of it. I'm blessed to have that. Gardening is one of the best things you can do for your soul.

In a space like that, you should look into growing cycles. While one thing is almost ready to eat, you can plant something else. Also, a vertical set up would be cool.

I just bought a few window hangers to hang off my porch, next to my bar that I read, write and look at the ocean at. It just needed to. I think I'm only doing herbs though, just to have. I live behind an organic farm and hang out at a sustainable farming institute, so I can farm and garden seriously, when I need the zen of it. I'm blessed to have that. Gardening is one of the best things you can do for your soul.

In a space like that, you should look into growing cycles. While one thing is almost ready to eat, you can plant something else. Also, a vertical set up would be cool.

You live on St. Croix, right? What part of the island?

Center island, south shore road, behind art farm. Do you know STX well?

No, not at all. I was just curious what part of the island you lived on. My wife & I are going to STT the 1st week of April. I know, I know: touristy & just like the US. But we're not as young as we used to be and just look for R&R, ****tails & some decent local fare. I travel a lot for work and get frequent flyer points so I'm always looking for Marriott & Hilton hotels to visit. STX is on my list. If I had planned better for this coming trip, I would have included a few days in STX. Maybe next year. We'll see.

Plus, I love hearing about your time on STX. It sounds awesome. I'm jealous :)

its go time!!!!

we're getting another fig tree this year....nothing beats a fresh fig

maters, beans, lettuce and greens too

Nice! Just moved into a new house a couple months ago and there is a fig tree out back and I'm looking forward to it.

First off, what type of trees are nearby? Secondly, I would consider using RR ties for your garden frame. They're cheap, very heavy, resistant to rot, and are available cheap. Moles will probably leave your raised garden alone if you remove the existing sod.

No, not at all. I was just curious what part of the island you lived on. My wife & I are going to STT the 1st week of April. I know, I know: touristy & just like the US. But we're not as young as we used to be and just look for R&R, ****tails & some decent local fare. I travel a lot for work and get frequent flyer points so I'm always looking for Marriott & Hilton hotels to visit. STX is on my list. If I had planned better for this coming trip, I would have included a few days in STX. Maybe next year. We'll see.

Plus, I love hearing about your time on STX. It sounds awesome. I'm jealous :)

We have a Marriott now. :) If you want to just relax and find your lime, this is the right island. It's super chill here.

I cooked at the sustainable farming institute last night. All fresh food grown there. It's amazing how much better something tastes when it's right out of the ground.

My father in law is a vegetable farmer. He says moles eat grubs—no grubs, no moles. There are also these solar-powered stakes that emit a high-pitched sound that moles do not like. You can get them at a hardware store.

As for grass. They cover the entire top soil base with black plastic sheeting. You can the take a spade and cut a little triangle in the pastic and plant the seedling in that hole. They have special drip irrigation rigged up under the plastic but you can get the same effect by punching small holes in the plastic with a "garden fork" to let rain water/sprinkler get to the soil.

Here's the home garden version: http://www.ehow.com/how_5619497_use-black-plastic-garden.html

Negative on the railroads,(for me anyway). Better ways to build the gardens I believe. As I stated earlier,we're planning on a variety of different ways of growing. Still designing the raised gardens,but have zeroed in on a couple of cool designs. Of course,the fiance' has all kinds of things for me to build as a result,(that darn carpenter thing coming back to get me. :silly: ).

I bought a couple more herbs and built a little spot where the iguanas and deer can't get to. I'm thinking my middle box should be some kind of lettuce, because it's so expensive and I eat a lot of greens, but I don't know if the reward for a 3 foot window box would be enough.

First off, what type of trees are nearby? Secondly, I would consider using RR ties for your garden frame. They're cheap, very heavy, resistant to rot, and are available cheap. Moles will probably leave your raised garden alone if you remove the existing sod.

There is a lot of very, very tall gumball and oak trees nowhere near my yard (neighbors have them). I tracked the sun last year to identify the best area to place the garden boxes in my yard. I have a decent area to use that won't get flooded after heavy rains. (I live in the outer edge of a Flood Zone A) I'd plant in the ground as a preferred method, but there's no way the garden could survive a heavy rain. It has to be elevated.

There is a lot of very, very tall gumball and oak trees nowhere near my yard (neighbors have them). I tracked the sun last year to identify the best area to place the garden boxes in my yard. I have a decent area to use that won't get flooded after heavy rains. (I live in the outer edge of a Flood Zone A) I'd plant in the ground as a preferred method, but there's no way the garden could survive a heavy rain. It has to be elevated.

There's nothing wrong with an elevated garden, it does help you control moisture levels. I live on a farm and much of my vegetable garden is in a raised bed. Gumballs and Oaks shouldn't present a lot of problem (except for shade) I was afrtaid that there were some walnut, pines or osage orange trees around. Those varieties present some problems. Good luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

So it's looking more and more promising that the last frost may have passed us... but there's a vicious winter storm about to hit the Denver, CO area... and should roll through this area in about a week.

Has anyone committed to planting seedlings outside yet? I was planning on doing it this weekend. The last frost for my area is usually around this week, but rarely after April 19/20.

Kinda worried about that storm...

I just planted a raised 8x4 garden, but following the plant instructions I want able to fit neatly as many as you all do. Tomatoes are too be planted with a spacing of I think 30" right? That doesn't leave much space after putting in a few. But I am new at this, do your all not follow those guidelines?

I just planted a raised 8x4 garden, but following the plant instructions I want able to fit neatly as many as you all do. Tomatoes are too be planted with a spacing of I think 30" right? That doesn't leave much space after putting in a few. But I am new at this, do your all not follow those guidelines?

I have a raised garden that same size. Last year (1st year, mixed results), I planted 2 tomato plants in center and then various peppers, herbs around the outside of it. Soil condition, sun (6hrs +), water & fertilizer and you should be good. Other option you have is to plant early spring plants (green onions, lettuces, strawberries) b/c tomatoes take quite awhile to start producing.

So it's looking more and more promising that the last frost may have passed us... but there's a vicious winter storm about to hit the Denver, CO area... and should roll through this area in about a week.

Has anyone committed to planting seedlings outside yet? I was planning on doing it this weekend. The last frost for my area is usually around this week, but rarely after April 19/20.

Kinda worried about that storm...

Just cover with clear plastic tubs for the night & rmv in the morning. THat's what I've been doing for the past week.

I finished building my elevated garden boxes about 2 weeks ago with knotty cedar wood.

554080_10152681643830411_1155407585_n.jpg

Even mixed my own soil!

(There's more than what is in the pic)

Can't wait to get everything planted and covered with a bird net.

Here is how i do my peppers Tomatoes squash eggplant. I get aluminum roof flashing form a circle and tape it together with the good silver duct tape. circles vary according to size of plants. I plant the with cow manure and then put the circle around them. now there are easy to water without feeding the weeds. i use miracle grow once a week and mix in 5gal bucket and apply to my plants, you fill to top of circle. This also makes it easy watering with the hose, just fill the circles to rim. you use less water and produce some good veggies

I have a med size garden planted in 3 different places

Archived