Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Roster Review: Redskins Running Backs

Lavarleap56

Untitled14.jpg

The Redskins entered the NFL draft last April expecting to select a franchise QB with the second pick of the first round. Nobody expected them to find their franchise Running Back in the sixth round when they selected Alfred Morris.

Alfred just didn't have some success, he set the league on fire and broke records while powering the Redskins to the #1 ranked rushing offense in the NFL. His 1,614 rushing yards are a single season Redskins record, and 3rd on the all-time list for rushing yards by a rookie, trailing only Eric Dickerson and George Rogers.

Alfred is a complete running back who has a skill set that keeps defensive coordinators up at night. Running Backs are typically classified as front side runners or cut back runners, and a defense needs to deal with both in a different way.

Read More: http://httr24-7.com/blog/roster-review-redskins-running-backs/

Great write up, as always. I have to say the thing that impresses me most about Morris is his character. Seems like such a humble, stand up guy. It's pretty weird because he runs like he's angry as hell and then you see him in interviews and he seems soft spoken and kind of shy. :D

Riddick looks intriguing. One thing is for sure, competition will be brought in and it wouldn’t surprise me if both Royster and Helu didn’t make the squad this year.

I like Theo Riddick as well for that 3rd down role and alot of our zone read stuff from the full backfield but I think I'd like Dennard Robinson in that role a bit more than Riddick. I'd say they would both be available 4th round on (though tbh i would not pick a player for that role eariler than the 6th round). Anyway I just think Dennard is a bit faster and a more explosive athlete than Riddick and in that backfield role he could be a nightmare (like I said I would be happy with either as long as it is in the 6th round).

I like Theo Riddick as well for that 3rd down role and alot of our zone read stuff from the full backfield but I think I'd like Dennard Robinson in that role a bit more than Riddick. I'd say they would both be available 4th round on (though tbh i would not pick a player for that role eariler than the 6th round). Anyway I just think Dennard is a bit faster and a more explosive athlete than Riddick and in that backfield role he could be a nightmare (like I said I would be happy with either as long as it is in the 6th round).

I like Dennard but don't like him enough as a 3rd down back over a season. Talented kid but see him more as a pure gadget guy in the NFL.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

Leap you don't think Helu will be back healthy next year?

I hope he is but I have a hard time seeing it right now.

I like Dennard but don't like him enough as a 3rd down back over a season. Talented kid but see him more as a pure gadget guy in the NFL

Yeah that is the knock on Robinson can he do it over a season having to pickup more WR concepts and possibly KO duties...he may wear down physically. IMO, I think he can handle those things at a slow rate and he is downright scary with the ball in his hands...I envision Robinson a poor-mans Percy Harvin. I would think as a rookei initially he'll see more backfield responsibility (more comfort there) rather than WR responsibility. However as he gets comfy with his WR duties/routes in year 2/3 he can be put in all sort of positions on the field causing mis-matches all over the field.

I was expecting him to break down this season, not hoping it wouldn't happen, but expecting it. I've never seen a rookie come in, and log that many carries, run the way he runs, and perform at an All Pro leve like he did, week after a week after week, and not come up visibly hobbled, once. Never seen anything like it. The guy was a monster this year.

My favorite thing about Morris is durability. His compact style when running with the football makes it hard for guys to get damaging hits on him. I've noticed a surprisingly amount of times his helmet being grabbed because he's so low to the ground that's all there is to hold on to. They can't even find his torso or his legs, lol.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

I was expecting him to break down this season, not hoping it wouldn't happen, but expecting it. I've never seen a rookie come in, and log that many carries, run the way he runs, and perform at an All Pro leve like he did, week after a week after week, and not come up visibly hobbled, once. Never seen anything like it. The guy was a monster this year.

Exactly, he wasn't lying when he said "I was built for this". That is his most impressive trait in my mind.

But, yeah, I agree with LL in that we need to find a true third down back who can take a screen pass all the way. In this offense, it would be absolutely devastating for defense's. Imagine on third and short we line up in the pistol with Young on one side of Robert, this scat back we're talking about on the other side, and Morris behind them. Defend that. All our WRs would have to do is run behind the Linebackers for an automatic conversion as well since the LBs would be so busy dealing with that combination in the backfield.

Nice to see I'm not the only guy who thinks we absolutely must draft another RB this year.

I always thought it was a forgone conclusion. Shanahan has drafted a ton of running backs over the years, and even since he's been with us, he's acquired/drafted different running backs every year, regardless of production. Out of all of the positions on the team, that's probably the one position that he gets complacent at the least. He doesn't screw around.

My favorite thing about Morris is durability. His compact style when running with the football makes it hard for guys to get damaging hits on him. I've noticed a surprisingly amount of times his helmet being grabbed because he's so low to the ground that's all there is to hold on to. They can't even find his torso or his legs, lol.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

Exactly, he wasn't lying when he said "I was built for this". That is his most impressive trait in my mind.

But, yeah, I agree with LL in that we need to find a true third down back who can take a screen pass all the way. In this offense, it would be absolutely devastating for defense's. Imagine on third and short we line up in the pistol with Young on one side of Robert, this scat back we're talking about on the other side, and Morris behind them. Defend that. All our WRs would have to do is run behind the Linebackers for an automatic conversion as well since the LBs would be so busy dealing with that combination in the backfield.

For as good as Alfred is he won't see a second contract from the Redskins.. Redskins need a change of pace/ 3rd down guy to help the offense , and spell Morris. 335 carries over the season isn't bad but not ideal imo.

When Helu went down the RB pass game took a hit.. Morris was targeted once a game, Royster about 1.5..

For as good as Alfred is he won't see a second contract from the Redskins.. Redskins need a change of pace/ 3rd down guy to help the offense , and spell Morris. 335 carries over the season isn't bad but not ideal imo.

When Helu went down the RB pass game took a hit.. Morris was targeted once a game, Royster about 1.5..

Do you think Morris won't see another contract with Redskins because he's expendable in this system? I do think the 335 carries is too much to sustain for a few years... I like the idea of Helu coming back...

Why do you think that is? With the way him and Robert work together I'd think they'd do everything they can to keep them together...

Shanahan can groom running backs to a pro bowl level. His philosophy is "why pay a back an insane amount of money when I already have someone waiting in the wings who can do the same exact thing." Its always been his MO.

Why do you think that is? With the way him and Robert work together I'd think they'd do everything they can to keep them together...

Age and reality of the NFL right now.... Let's assume he continues this production over his contract.

Morris is 24 and on a 4 year contract so he will be 28 when his rookie deal is up. A few years ago he would be getting paid off of his first 4 years, but now teams pay Backs on what they expect to get out of them. RBs now are only getting 2 real contracts ( Rookie + 24-26 re-up).. A third if they get it is usually a vet deal with incentives. So teams are not investing heavily in backs over 26.

If Morris has 3 more years like this then he would deserve a big contract BUT he is on that edge of 30.. Hard to pony up the cash for a 4-5 year deal imo.

NFL is just smarter about Running backs now a days. Easier to draft a young guy and plug him in than count on the old guy. College RBs are more prepared for the NFL than they ever have been.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

Some people look at Running Backs like mileage on a car.. The last 4 years Morris has carried the ball 1,067 times. NFL would rather have backs come out from college as early as possible so they can get more mileage out of them.

Age and reality of the NFL right now.... Let's assume he continues this production over his contract.

Morris is 24 and on a 4 year contract so he will be 28 when his rookie deal is up. A few years ago he would be getting paid off of his first 4 years, but now teams pay Backs on what they expect to get out of them. RBs now are only getting 2 real contracts ( Rookie + 24-26 re-up).. A third if they get it is usually a vet deal with incentives. So teams are not investing heavily in backs over 26.

If Morris has 3 more years like this then he would deserve a big contract BUT he is on that edge of 30.. Hard to pony up the cash for a 4-5 year deal imo.

NFL is just smarter about Running backs now a days. Easier to draft a young guy and plug him in than count on the old guy. College RBs are more prepared for the NFL than they ever have been.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

Some people look at Running Backs like mileage on a car.. The last 4 years Morris has carried the ball 1,067 times. NFL would rather have backs come out from college as early as possible so they can get more mileage out of them.

True... other than I believe he just turned 24 so he'll be 27 at the end of his 4th season... that's just nitpicking though...

He will be 28.. Birthday is in December and contract would be up when the season is over.

So why not trade him near the end of his 4 year deal and get something for him rather than just letting him walk after his contract terminates? Would this be possible?

If Morris has another year like this next year, i seriously doubt his agent would let him play a 3rd year on a 6th round rookie deal without balking. And I wouldn't blame him.

Good luck selling that to Mike Shanahan. He trades backs all the time, he even sent Clinton Portis packing and he was averaging 5.5 a carry and tearing up the NFL.

Running Back is not a position Mike Shanahan invests big money into.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

So why not trade him near the end of his 4 year deal and get something for him rather than just letting him walk after his contract terminates? Would this be possible?

Always possible but that is a long way off.

Archived