Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Roster Review: Redskins Running Backs

Lavarleap56

Nice to see I'm not the only guy who thinks we absolutely must draft another RB this year.

I wouldnt say absolutely but i agree we could use a change of pace, break it to the house 3rd down type of back just to lighten the load on Morris. I think however, that we could get away with Royster again. He started to show his skills catching the ball out of the backfield as the season went on and became a bigger factor

Good luck selling that to Mike Shanahan. He trades backs all the time, he even sent Clinton Portis packing and he was averaging 5.5 a carry and tearing up the NFL.

Running Back is not a position Mike Shanahan invests big money into.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

Always possible but that is a long way off.

It's funny cause I told myself I would never fall in love with a player but Morris+RG3 makes that extremely hard.

It's the nature of the Beast sometimes though and I remain loyal to the team.

So which is more important right now - a third down back to aid the passing game, or a true backup for Morris to spell him (H-I-M, for the jokers out there), particularly in the event of an injury?

And whatever happened to Hightower? Did he get healthy? Is he 'playing' somewhere else? He's a guy I'd think would make an ideal backup for Morris while we targeted a scat back. Maybe ideal is too strong, but I like him better than Royster and Helu in this regard.

I wouldnt say absolutely but i agree we could use a change of pace, break it to the house 3rd down type of back just to lighten the load on Morris. I think however, that we could get away with Royster again. He started to show his skills catching the ball out of the backfield as the season went on and became a bigger factor

When did this happen?

You don't see many slow 3rd down/ change of pace backs in the NFL.. Time to move on from Royster in that role.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 10:00 PM ----------

So which is more important right now - a third down back to aid the passing game, or a true backup for Morris to spell him (H-I-M, for the jokers out there), particularly in the event of an injury?

And whatever happened to Hightower? Did he get healthy? Is he 'playing' somewhere else? He's a guy I'd think would make an ideal backup for Morris while we targeted a scat back. Maybe ideal is too strong, but I like him better than Royster and Helu in this regard.

Ideally you want to find one guy that can serve as a back up for Morris and 3rd down guy. Need a guy that gives you some of what Morris can in the run game, enough to keep defenses honest, but gives you more in the pass game than Alf does. You want to RBs games to compliment one another. The" thunder & lightning " stuff doesn't really work anymore because defenses can cheat based on who is in the game.

If I was going for a guy really like Morris but with more burst I would grab Christine Michael from Texas A&M if he fell to the mid-late rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVqxFeWFoU

I think we need more of a pass threat out of the backfield to help RG3, especially since he will be returning from a ACL. We forget Helu was targeted 56 times out of the backfield in 2011. That element of the offense all but disappeared when he went to IR. Royster on screens wasn't scaring anybody.

Like I said in the OP, Theo Riddick is who I like for the redskins in that cop/3rd down role. Gives you a little of Morris but much much better in the pass game.

You make a lot of sense LL on the Morris will never see another contract from the Skins - that said - i do have a hard time thinking if he is ripping it up still in 4 years time I could imagine the franchise tag being used but nothing more than a 1 or 2 year deal ...

You make a lot of sense LL on the Morris will never see another contract from the Skins - that said - i do have a hard time thinking if he is ripping it up still in 4 years time I could imagine the franchise tag being used but nothing more than a 1 or 2 year deal ...

Yeah I just don't see it with Shanny bro.. Running Backs are a dime a dozen to him.

If Alfred really does become the next TD, or LT, or something, then yeah, he'll be more inclined to keep him. However, like LL says, that's not really Shanny's style, and while Alfred is awesome, it's hard to say he'll be "Hall of Fame" awesome.

Shanny traded away the most talented running back he ever drafted, period, when he traded Clinton away. Running backs are currency to him. It's not to say he doesn't like those guys or doesn't necessarily value them, but hes smarter than a lot of teams are when it comes to turning around and paying them money.

Shanahan can groom running backs to a pro bowl level. His philosophy is "why pay a back an insane amount of money when I already have someone waiting in the wings who can do the same exact thing." Its always been his MO.

Al-Mo may be the only RB he ever has who says, "I don't need millions to keep my jalopy running".

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 06:52 PM ----------

If Alfred really does become the next TD, or LT, or something, then yeah, he'll be more inclined to keep him. However, like LL says, that's not really Shanny's style, and while Alfred is awesome, it's hard to say he'll be "Hall of Fame" awesome.

Shanny traded away the most talented running back he ever drafted, period, when he traded Clinton away. Running backs are currency to him. It's not to say he doesn't like those guys or doesn't necessarily value them, but hes smarter than a lot of teams are when it comes to turning around and paying them money.

Traded him for one of the best CBs AND a 2nd rounder. That's not exactly trading Portis for a guard or an ILB. Would Shanahan trade a healthy AP? I don't find that likely.

Al-Mo may be the only RB he ever has who says, "I don't need millions to keep my jalopy running".

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 06:52 PM ----------

Traded him for one of the best CBs AND a 2nd rounder. That's not exactly trading Portis for a guard or an ILB. Would Shanahan trade a healthy AP? I don't find that likely.

If he tried to hold out for a big contract.... Yes, Absolutely.

I have also thought with the amount of carries that Morris gets if he continues to get that amount of carries over his current contract there might not be any more gas in his tank.

Speaking of carries -- isn't the quantity and quality of tackles more indicative of wear than the # of carries? My perception may be wrong, but it didn't seem like Al-Mo was getting whacked all that hard.

Speaking of carries -- isn't the quantity and quality of tackles more indicative of wear than the # of carries? My perception may be wrong, but it didn't seem like Al-Mo was getting whacked all that hard.

Thing is he's gonna get tackled everytime he carries the ball. It takes a toll on him with each and every carry. Also, I think his knees wear down with each carry as well. If Morris's many carries continue, it will remind me of a one time great running back by the name of Larry Brown. Brown didn't have a long career because George Allen ran him to death. If not wrong, Brown's career only lasted 6 or 7 seasons.

I would like to draft dri archer rb/wr an let helu or royster or both go...I believe shanny has shown he can find talent an I know a couple udfa's will be in camp again, I hope 1 of them is chris thompson fla st rb...Archer an thompson would be great additions to the east coast pistol O we run...I'm tired of having just ok backs, Morris is beast, but helu an royster are ehh, we need a j charles,l mcoy type that can take a sweep 80yds whem Almo is out for a series or 2...

Just on your Theo Riddick - I was wondering about his size and ability as a blocker - otherwise he looks like a bigger Brandon Banks - More importantly I think he might get over drafted because he has the WR speed to go with some running ability and people are still looking for the next Sproles/Bush type RB and I just don't associate those kinds of backs with Shanahan ..

Just on your Theo Riddick - I was wondering about his size and ability as a blocker - otherwise he looks like a bigger Brandon Banks - More importantly I think he might get over drafted because he has the WR speed to go with some running ability and people are still looking for the next Sproles/Bush type RB and I just don't associate those kinds of backs with Shanahan ..

Well Banks is 150lbs vs Theo who is 200 and he is actually useful in the run & pass game. Shanny has been trying to find a back like Sproles/ Bush for a few years.

Shannahan gave Anthony Alridge a few chances to make his roster in Denver and Washington...

2010 Shanahan wanted to add Bryan Westbrook to the fold

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/running-backs/redskins-remain-interested-in.html

Shanny was interested in Sproles in 2010 and 2011. Redskins and Shanny had some interest in Chris Rainey following the senior bowl...

Skins even had some internal interest in Bush last year. Mike also thinks L.McCoy is the best back in football period..

They want a back like Spoles/Bush but they want the right one at the right value...

---------- Post added January-18th-2013 at 12:02 PM ----------

I would like to draft dri archer rb/wr an let helu or royster or both go...I believe shanny has shown he can find talent an I know a couple udfa's will be in camp again, I hope 1 of them is chris thompson fla st rb...Archer an thompson would be great additions to the east coast pistol O we run...I'm tired of having just ok backs, Morris is beast, but helu an royster are ehh, we need a j charles,l mcoy type that can take a sweep 80yds whem Almo is out for a series or 2...

I'm a Chris Thompson fan, Kid is electric.. Tough to project him with all the injuries.

If Morris has another year like this next year, i seriously doubt his agent would let him play a 3rd year on a 6th round rookie deal without balking. And I wouldn't blame him.

this. No way this kid doesn't hold out and frankly since we will be out of cap hell in 2014, Redskins must to the right thing and pay this kid, especially if he has another monster year. he will be 25 then and I can see giving him a 4 year deal. If not trade him (that IMO would be the most stupid thing you can do), and pickup at least a 2nd if not a 1st round pick.

this. No way this kid doesn't hold out and frankly since we will be out of cap hell in 2014, Redskins must to the right thing and pay this kid, especially if he has another monster year. he will be 25 then and I can see giving him a 4 year deal. If not trade him (that IMO would be the most stupid thing you can do), and pickup at least a 2nd if not a 1st round pick.

Disagree with " The most stupid thing you can do" ....

Running Back is a spot you don't want to invest too much money into. The league has a few outliers but you can get the same production out of a rookie that you can out of a vet. No reason to pay a lot of money to a RB when it is not necessary.

Shanahan feels his system creates these backs to a extent..

2011- Redskins Running backs- 1,489 yards

2012 Alfred Morris 1,613 yards

How much money do you want to commit for a difference of 124 yards..

I love Alfred but Mike's history is what it is... Running Backs are poker chips to him.

Alfred Morris is a great back, but like Arian Foster (who also got overpaid) he's not a special super-star LT/AP-eseque back (well, some aspects of his game are special i.e his vision, power, and first step, but other aspects are averageish).

Fact is, the reason why you have a Mike Shanahan is precisely so you don't need to pay big money at the RB position.

Running Back is a spot you don't want to invest too much money into. The league has a few outliers but you can get the same production out of a rookie that you can out of a vet. No reason to pay a lot of money to a RB when it is not necessary.

Shanahan feels his system creates these backs to a extent..

I love Alfred but Mike's history is what it is... Running Backs are poker chips to him.

are you saying the production Morris got this year is the same "quality" as our backs got in 2011? I don't think so. RGIII and even Cousins works so well with Morris. Both of these QBs are on the same "page" as him. that is a huge plus beyond how many yards each got.

I am not saying spend the house on him, but at least pay him as a number one pick.

Thank god I'm not the only person who realizes this.

Thank god I'm not the only person who realizes this.

you guys don't realize one thing. Yes Mike S has been using most of his backs as "chips" and he probably feels like anyone can rush for 1000 yards in his offense but when he finds a back like Morris, durable, perfect for his offense I am not so sure he will use him as a "chip" Case and point Terrell Davis. he rode him to two SBs.

It's really not just 124 yards. That's a gross simplification.

The difference is that 2011 had 350 RB carries. 2012 had 335 for Morris. Morris averaged 4.82 yards per carry. 2011 backs averaged 4.25 yards per carry.

According to Football Outsiders:

Alfred Morris had a success rate of 52%, which is 7th in the league. Roy Helu had a success rate of 47%, which was 24th. Evan Royster/Tim Hightower didn't have enough runs to qualify for this stat.

In 2011 our Adjusted Line Yards was 4.21. The running back yards for that was 4.19.

In 2012 our Adjusted Line Yards was 4.25. Our running back yards for that was 4.72.

In terms of average yards gained between 5-10 yards past the LoS, were we 5th in the league this season compared to 15th last season. Alfred Morris isn't a burner, but we were still 13th in average yards for runs that went 10 or more. In 2011 we were 25th in that category.

We were 3rd in the league with the lowest % of our runs being stuffed this season. In 2011, we were 19th in the league.

Alfred Morris improved as the season went on. We can't say that his ability to make the right reads, press the hole, and cut back didn't also improve. He got more comfortable in this scheme and with this line. We can't make long term estimates about Morris based off of one season. He's got a 4 year contract, we don't have to rush to make decisions on how long he'll be here. Alfred Morris's running style is one that does not rely on speed, acceleration, and elite athleticism. Morris makes the right cuts, at the right time by setting up blockers or pressing the hole. That trait is a bit more prone to longevity than say speedsters.

If Morris improves some more, he could deserve a few year extension. If Morris shows again that he's very durable and doesn't get injuries, that's valuable. He could deserve an extension. Thankfully, this whole topic is moot for another season, since right now we only have 1 year to go off of. But I don't think we can just write him off as another guy that would fade. He has less mileage at age 25 than other RB's do.

Archived