Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII and 2013

daveakl

Any acute injury... of any type and any degree... is going to cause inflammation, swelling and loss of ROM (and effect gait). You can`t tell the severity of the injury based by how the person walks or stands. There are plenty of people that lives their lives without ACL`s (completely torn and not surgically repaired). You can function... you just build up the strength of the surrounding musculature -- but that goes for non-professional athletes.

Even the mechanism of injury doesn`t exactly tell you what the injury is. I`ve seen plenty of injury of structures that don`t make logistical sense on how it was impaired... as opposed to the structures that should have been comprised given the mechanism.

At the very least... it looks like RG3 has a completely torn MCL. The ACL is attached to the MCL structurally... so there`s a pretty good likelihood that it`s torn (partial or complete, we`ll see) as well. However, the MRI will tell us soon enough.

I`m a registered massage therapist.... studying Osteopathy :) The MCL is a ligamentous structure on the inside of the knee whose sole purpose to prevent the inside of the knee from buckling inward (foot outward). That knee gave out completely. He could have sprained that structure and injured it (hurt it).... but it wouldn`t have gone completely gimpy and fall apart like that unless something was completely torn.

The mechanism of injury (how the injury occured) indicates it`s an MCL. Not an ACL. However, as I said, the way the leg looked... it`s completely unstable now. At the very least... it`s a torn MCL. Possibility of ACL injury... but that could be anywhere from a Grade 1-3 -- yet to be determined.

LL tweeted that he's hearing it's a torn MCL (not a final or official diagnosis). To me, if that's ALL it is, I don't think it's the end of the world. My one wish is that he be 100% recovered before coming back. To me, it's one thing for him to try to gut it out during a December run to the playoffs. But, given how young this team is, I'd rather lose a year of Griffin to rest and heal up and see Cousins than have Griffin always nursing a lingering injury.

The problem is that Griffin was not effective when the gimmick of the pistol was taken away by his lack of mobility. As analysts have pointed out, Griffin isn't able to truly read defenses the way a traditional QB does and his success so far has been directly as a result of his running ability or the treat of it.

Griffin is going to be an injury risk the way he plays. Lets just hope they can teach him to become better at passing when the option to option isn't there.

Trent Dilfer did a decent job of breaking it down on Sportscenter.

LL tweeted that he's hearing it's a torn MCL (not a final or official diagnosis). To me, if that's ALL it is, I don't think it's the end of the world. My one wish is that he be 100% recovered before coming back. To me, it's one thing for him to try to gut it out during a December run to the playoffs. But, given how young this team is, I'd rather lose a year of Griffin to rest and heal up and see Cousins than have Griffin always nursing a lingering injury.

If it's an MCL there is no reason he shouldn't be full go by July. If they wanted to play it safe and hold him out until later in pre-season that would be fine. But there is absolutely no reason he should miss real time next year if these reports are true.

our offense was still effective even once griffin was no longer a treat to run IMO.

two things happened that bogged us down. 1) we got away from pounding morris 2) RG3 lost all accuracy and confidence throwing the ball once he re injured that knee. guys were open, he just couldn't hit them

If it's an MCL there is no reason he shouldn't be full go by July. If they wanted to play it safe and hold him out until later in pre-season that would be fine. But there is absolutely no reason he should miss real time next year if these reports are true.

Well, if the report is true and you're right about his recovery time, then I think we should all be happy that we dodged another bullet. To me, it would be another positive spin on an incredible year and would mean that nothing negative lingers into 2013.

Archived