Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Key Stats: Seattle yards per rush DEFENSE ranked 23rd in NFL, same group rank as Cowboys

PigskinPhat

All these experts are picking Seattle's DEFENSE as easily stopping the B&G

But guess what, for all the stats of the vaunted Seahawks defense, this stood out as odd. If you go to NFL stats and sort the rushing defense by yards per rush, they're ranked 23rd, same group rank as the Cowboys.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the 2-headed Rookie Monster of RG3 and Alfred MoreRush run all over that PED-enhanced Seattle D. Pete "run up the score" Carroll is about to have a first hand look at the freaking #1 RUSHING OFFENSE IN THE NFL!

And guess which team has the highest offensive yards per play?

#1 Reedddsssskkkkkeeeeennnnnnsssssss!

HTTR :D

Pig Out!

I just think we're being overlooked ALL OVER THE PLACE. This week's analysis by all the experts pretty much has been more of the same. It suits us....i really think it's going to give us an edge...especially against a team that has been so vocal about being "disrespected" all year. I wonder how it works to be so overwhelmingly praised.

I like our matchup this week more than i did last week to be honest. I've said earlier that Carroll's Trojan teams NEVER could handle the Pistol read-option. I've heard at least 17 times this week from about that many different analysts that Lynch would essentially be too much for us to handle, & how Seattle should "handle" AlMo with relative ease.

I don't get it, to be honest. It's just plain lazy. Firstly, you'd have to assume that Seattle's run game & Lynch are more formidable than AP...whom we held to 79 yards, & that was before we got hot defensively. You'd have to neglect the fact that we have the 5th best rush Defense...all while being "porous" vs the pass. You'd have to believe that Seattle's Offense is more explosive & difficult to defend than the Cowpukes, or Gnats, or that their WR's are scarier than Bryant, Cruz, Nicks, Boldin, Maclin, or Avant. You'd have to think that Carroll is going to out coach the Shanahans & Haslett, or that somehow...Seattle will be better than all of these unavoidable facts ON THE ROAD IN THE EAST COAST ON GRASS!!!

I'm not going to predict a winner...i haven't done it all this year as i try to remain humble, but man am i annoyed that there seems to be NOT 1 SINGLE EXPERT that has championed these details.

I find it hard to believe that we won't be able to ram it down their throats for over 120 yards, or break a big play here or there, or continue to limit our turnovers & make them play the full length of the field. I have trouble believing that we will suddenly give up monster yards to an opposing RB...especially when that's their Offensive fulcrum, or that we won't continue to force a key turnover here or there, or that we won't own ghe 2nd half as has been the case for 7 games running.

I won't make any predictions...but i love our chances...no matter how slim i'm told they should be.

I always knew that analysts barely analyzed a damn thing, but this week has really opened my eyes to how little they know and research. Thanks to everyone on ES and around the Redskins blogosphere and a bit of my own research, I've seen a lot of deep analysis on what could happen Sunday, what's likely to happen Sunday, and who has the edge in certain areas. On the other hand, the best media analysis I've heard would easily be the worst analysis I've heard from normal people. You would think that all of us regular working stiffs would be at a disadvantage compared to someone whose job is to research and analyze the NFL, but apparently not.

I always knew that analysts barely analyzed a damn thing, but this week has really opened my eyes to how little they know and research. Thanks to everyone on ES and around the Redskins blogosphere and a bit of my own research, I've seen a lot of deep analysis on what could happen Sunday, what's likely to happen Sunday, and who has the edge in certain areas. On the other hand, the best media analysis I've heard would easily be the worst analysis I've heard from normal people. You would think that all of us regular working stiffs would be at a disadvantage compared to someone whose job is to research and analyze the NFL, but apparently not.

This is a great observation and comment.

Okay, we're getting ahead of ourselves as are Seahawks fans. First, game strategies/stats are dictated by the score. We only gashed Dallas last week because the cowboys never got ahead by more than one score so we really didn't pass much. Just like the first meeting when Romo sits to pee threw for 400+ only because they were down four scores. And they only rushed for 35 yards because they were down four scores. Stats are only half the story. The game last week makes our run defense look worse (gave up 100 yards) and our pass defense look better (only gave up 218 yards) when in fact it was just that we were in control the entire game. Kyle called a more conservative game which resulted in a lower scoring game which resulted in more balanced numbers from the cowboys. If we go up by 3 scores on Sunday, best believe that the seahawks will throw more which will inflate their passing numbers and decrease their run numbers. And the stat lines will look like we had good run defense and porous pass defense. Stats don't mean **** when taken outta context.

Seahawk fans will counter the yards-per-carry argument with the points-per-game argument, saying that it doesn't matter how many yards they give up, games are won by how many points you give up. If teams are running so successfully against them, why aren't they scoring more? Does the run D stiffen in the red zone? Do the opposing offensive coordinators abandon the run in the red zone?

If Kyle can find a way to exploit the crappy yards-per-carry average and turn it into points, it's a whole new ballgame.

Seahawk fans will counter the yards-per-carry argument with the points-per-game argument, saying that it doesn't matter how many yards they give up, games are won by how many points you give up. If teams are running so successfully against them, why aren't they scoring more? Does the run D stiffen in the red zone? Do the opposing offensive coordinators abandon the run in the red zone?

If Kyle can find a way to exploit the crappy yards-per-carry average and turn it into points, it's a whole new ballgame.

I think its pretty simple...they haven't played many good rushing team this year other than the Vikings and they put up 20 against them in Seatlle. Yes they played the 49ers but that game was over before the end of the 1st Q b/c of TO's. I think people are going to be surprised when we put points up on these guys. Just have to hope our D can hold them to less.

I just think we're being overlooked ALL OVER THE PLACE. This week's analysis by all the experts pretty much has been more of the same. It suits us....i really think it's going to give us an edge...especially against a team that has been so vocal about being "disrespected" all year. I wonder how it works to be so overwhelmingly praised.

I like our matchup this week more than i did last week to be honest. I've said earlier that Carroll's Trojan teams NEVER could handle the Pistol read-option. I've heard at least 17 times this week from about that many different analysts that Lynch would essentially be too much for us to handle, & how Seattle should "handle" AlMo with relative ease.

I don't get it, to be honest. It's just plain lazy. Firstly, you'd have to assume that Seattle's run game & Lynch are more formidable than AP...whom we held to 79 yards, & that was before we got hot defensively. You'd have to neglect the fact that we have the 5th best rush Defense...all while being "porous" vs the pass. You'd have to believe that Seattle's Offense is more explosive & difficult to defend than the Cowpukes, or Gnats, or that their WR's are scarier than Bryant, Cruz, Nicks, Boldin, Maclin, or Avant. You'd have to think that Carroll is going to out coach the Shanahans & Haslett, or that somehow...Seattle will be better than all of these unavoidable facts ON THE ROAD IN THE EAST COAST ON GRASS!!!

I'm not going to predict a winner...i haven't done it all this year as i try to remain humble, but man am i annoyed that there seems to be NOT 1 SINGLE EXPERT that has championed these details.

I find it hard to believe that we won't be able to ram it down their throats for over 120 yards, or break a big play here or there, or continue to limit our turnovers & make them play the full length of the field. I have trouble believing that we will suddenly give up monster yards to an opposing RB...especially when that's their Offensive fulcrum, or that we won't continue to force a key turnover here or there, or that we won't own ghe 2nd half as has been the case for 7 games running.

I won't make any predictions...but i love our chances...no matter how slim i'm told they should be.

...I celebrate this entire post.

JB

And dont forget how Lynch is going to run all over the D, lets not forget our D has shut down some of the best backs in the league this year. AP only had 79 just to name a few and the D is only giving up 95 rushing ypg. So let them think they can come in here and do what they did against the Bills and the Cards, they will be in for a big surprise.

Hail Em Up!!!

Okay, we're getting ahead of ourselves as are Seahawks fans. First, game strategies/stats are dictated by the score. We only gashed Dallas last week because the cowboys never got ahead by more than one score so we really didn't pass much. Just like the first meeting when Romo sits to pee threw for 400+ only because they were down four scores. And they only rushed for 35 yards because they were down four scores. Stats are only half the story. The game last week makes our run defense look worse (gave up 100 yards) and our pass defense look better (only gave up 218 yards) when in fact it was just that we were in control the entire game. Kyle called a more conservative game which resulted in a lower scor

ing game which resulted in more balanced numbers from the cowboys. If we go up by 3 scores on Sunday, best believe that the seahawks will throw more which will inflate their passing numbers and decrease their run numbers. And the stat lines will look like we had good run defense and porous pass defense. Stats don't mean **** when taken outta context.

Point is, the experts are making this Seattle team sound like the 86 Bears just because of points per game avg. The fact is Skins can run on Seattle, 23rd in the league in yds per rush defense is 23rd in the league no matter how you slice it, they have not played the best rushing team until now. I just like our odds.

It's worth noting that our #1 rush defense isn't just a function of attempts, the Skins are 2nd in the league in Yards per Rush at 5.2. Sadly, this can be turned around on us. The Seahawks are 5/6 in the league at 4.8 yards per rush, and the Skins D is tied with a mess of teams between 13-18 at 4.2 ypc allowed, so it's not like we're elite on the defensive side either. Still, we do have the advantage both ways, and we'll need to lean on it heavily.

I think we will have some success too, but it's not going to be a walk in the park. The speed up front they possess is solid. They will make life difficult for us and I expect an absolute dogfight in the trenches.

Sometimes speed can be a detriment. If we can get some misdirection going for us and have their front 7 headed the wrong way we could end up with a lot of daylight in front of our runners.

Not just this, but their pass defense has more to do with competing against divisional QBs (Smith, Kapernick, Bradford, and Skelton), Jets-Sanchez, and good game against Brady in (SEA).

They know their enemy - none like RG3

Dominant at home - they are on the road

also:

Lynch - doesn't travel well (only below 90, 113, & 105 yards in 5 non-div road games)

Very sound observations. I think you should post MORE and read LESS. You bring excellent points to ever thread.

Morris and our run game will do their damage, but even last week against Dallas, Morris running ALL over them, 2 INTs gifted to us, we were still only up 3 late. We tried the slant to Garcon but got a little lucky and a blow to the head call.

Otherwise Dallas is getting the ball back only needing a touchdown, that despite Morris running for 200. So maybe being ranked 23rd in rush defense doesn't mean much.

John Madden would cross off all the stats and say that special teams will decide the game.

Morris and our run game will do their damage, but even last week against Dallas, Morris running ALL over them, 2 INTs gifted to us, we were still only up 3 late. We tried the slant to Garcon but got a little luck and a blow to the head call.

Otherwise Dallas is getting the ball back only needing a touchdown. So maybe being ranked 23rd in rush defense doesn't mean much.

John Madden would cross off all the stats and say that special teams will decide the game.

We 'gifted' them a missed FG earlier in the game too. Every team gets some breaks. Good teams capitalize on them.

Archived