Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What am I missing, Redskins and clinching division

BigMike_ATL

What are you looking forward to the MOST?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. What are you looking forward to the MOST?

OK so what am I missing. They keep saying that Dallas and Redskins play for the division next week. But since we are now 4-2 in division and 7-4 in conference play if Dallas loses and NY loses even if Dallas wins why wouldn't we still win division? We would both be 9-7 and 4-2 in division and the tie breaker should be conference play which we would be 7-5 and Dallas would be 6-6. So I ask all of you why would Dallas win the division if they lose vs NO and win against us?

Yeah, common opponents is the tiebreaker now before conference record. Our losses to teams like Cincy and Pittsburgh (that Dallas beat) give them a better record in that department. Now there is this. If the Giants win today and win next week, Dallas is eliminated, possibly before we even kick off. Assuming Dallas loses to NO.

Last week the Redskins were 3-1 in the division, and Dallas was 3-2. That's why we were in first place.

If Dallas beats us next week then we will both be 4-2 in the East. Then the next tie-breaker is record vs. common opponents.

Not sure why that's the next tie-breaker. Seems stupid. But we shouldn't have lost to some of the teams we did so here were are.

wow' date=' now that's what I call a lurker.[/quote']

Ouch that hurt. I'm not lurker, just don't respond to a lot of comments but read the post everyday and even have purchased books from members on this site. Just because one does not post on a regular basis doesn't mean they don't read and appreciate opions of others.

I'm not lurker, just don't respond to a lot of comments but read the post everyday

That is the definition of a lurker! But don't worry, it's not a bad thing. A lot of people around here could stand to be lurkers more often.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

If we had also lost today, I'm pretty sure Dallas would be in first place this week.

Nope, we would have the head to head tie breaker. That would change to a tie if they beat us next week.

Ouch that hurt. I'm not lurker, just don't respond to a lot of comments but read the post everyday and even have purchased books from members on this site. Just because one does not post on a regular basis doesn't mean they don't read and appreciate opions of others.

Im in the same boat, I don't post often at all.... and as far as starting a thread... forget about it.... Im scared of the Mod's lol:)

Naw, my definition of a lurker is one who reads a lot and doesn't post. Maybe my definition is off. :whoknows:

OK so what am I missing. They keep saying that Dallas and Redskins play for the division next week. But since we are now 4-2 in division and 7-4 in conference play if Dallas loses and NY loses even if Dallas wins why wouldn't we still win division? We would both be 9-7 and 4-2 in division and the tie breaker should be conference play which we would be 7-5 and Dallas would be 6-6. So I ask all of you why would Dallas win the division if they lose vs NO and win against us?

skins are 4-2 in the division? no, they are 4-1. lost to the giants, 0-1. beat the eagles, 1-1. beat dallas, 2-1. beat the giants, 3-1.beat the eagles, 4-1

Redskins playoff scenarios: Best way is win and in

In response to multiple requests, here are the Redskins’ playoff scenarios.

NFC East

Yes, the Cowboys lost today and the Giants, as of this writing, seemed destined to lose to the Ravens. But the Redskins do not clinch the division today. And they can’t if they lose next week to the Cowboys.

The Redskins must beat Dallas next week to win the NFC East. Period.

If they beat Dallas they will win the division because of the best overall. If they lose to Dallas they will lose the tiebreaker to them. They will have split head to head and they both would have 4-2 division records. The next tiebreaker is best record in common games. The Cowboys have that tiebreaker.

Some believe that the tiebreaker after division record is conference record. It is not, check this link.

If the Giants do lose to the Ravens they can’t win the division. Even if they beat the Eagles next week and the Cowboys beat the Redskins, they are out of the three-way tiebreaker pool with their 3-3 division record.

Wild card

If the Redskins do lose to the Cowboys next week, they could win a wild card but they would need some help.

Assuming that the Bears keep their substantial lead over the Cardinals, they would move to 9-6 along with the Vikings. Seattle is 9-5 and they play tonight against the 49ers.

The good news for the Redskins is that they would hold tiebreakers over all of those teams if they finish at 9-7. The bad news is that they need help if those teams are going to finish with nine wins.

So one team between the Vikings, Bears, and Seahawks can get to 10 wins and the Redskins can still make the playoffs. But if two do, a 9-7 Redskins team is out.

If the Redskins are going to go in as a wild card at 9-7, the Vikings and Bears both need to lose next Sunday or if the Seahawks drop their final two, either the Vikings or Bears would need to lose next Sunday.

That’s a lot of help that would be needed. The win and in is obviously the preferred scenario.

Redskins playoff scenarios: Best way is win and in - Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/12/redskins-playoff-scenarios-best-way-is-win-and-in.html

Archived