Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I taking crazy pills or have sandwiches/wraps/paninis/etc. practically doubled in price in just a few years?

Hubbs

I do fast food a few times a month, I think I usually pay around $7-8. But it's almost alway chick fil a or subay.

I'm usually amazed that they're able to sell it so cheap. What do you suppose their average ticket is, $10 or so? And you figure they probably average 50 tickets per hour over the course of an entire day... That's what, $7500 per day or so?

I figure they operate on a 50 margin. So that's $3250 gross margin for the day. Geez, after you factor in rent, utilities, payroll (have you seen how many freakin people they have working at those places?), insurance, MRO.... That doesn't leave a whole lot

I might be way off on my estimates but I don't think I am. I might be overstating... Seems like I've heard the average fast food joint does about $1.5 million, which would be about half the above income scenario

Maybe their margins are much higher, I dunno

I know a guy that owns a Dairy Queen. I think the vast vast vast majority of his profit actually comes on sodas. The markup is several hunderd percent on that, because Coke essentially pays you to use their syrup for the advertising.

I don't think it's a lot of fun to be a McDonalds franchisee though.

I know a guy that owns a Dairy Queen. I think the vast vast vast majority of his profit actually comes on sodas. The markup is several hunderd percent on that' date=' because Coke essentially pays you to use their syrup for the advertising.

I don't think it's a lot of fun to be a McDonalds franchisee though.[/quote']

You are correct on the sodas. The only real cost to the restaurant is the 3 cent cup. The rest is profit. That is the major reason why they push "Value Meals" so hard, to the point that if you try to just order a sandwich, they will ask you if you want the meal. "No *******, i ordered exactly what i ****ing want, i'm pretty sure I got it right." The reason they do that is they need to push that soda out the door, it's almost pure profit.

And I think its a TON of fun to be a McDonalds franchisee, those things make money hand over fist. I think it sucks to be a McDonalds MANAGER.

I do fast food a few times a month,

I might be way off on my estimates but I don't think I am. I might be overstating... Seems like I've heard the average fast food joint does about $1.5 million, which would be about half the above income scenario

Maybe their margins are much higher, I dunno

Actually the margins used to be quite high and have also taken a huge hit over the last 10 years. The operators used to average about 10% of gross, and that in some cases could be as low as 3-4% now. So 2 mil. in sales is 60k-80k in income. One store operators are really hurting, when you think of all the work it takes to pull off a year.

It teaches you patience to live here. It's called island time.

That is called stupidity.

I can go to the store and make breakfast etter than McDonalds in less than an hour.

I would never wait an hour to eat breakfast (especially) anywhere in the world.

RG3, The Pope, The President, Joe Gibbs, Kobe Bryant, The Queen, Michael Jordan, and Jesus could be there....that is silly to wait at a McDonalds...but really anywhere for breakfast.

• 1 month later...

I swear I saw this earlier, but I couldn't find the thread:

Subway Sued for Deception Over Stingy Sandwiches

Give ’em an inch, they’ll take a mile; don’t give ’em an inch, they’ll take you to court.

A mere week after an irate Australian customer posted a photo on Subway’s Facebook page of one of its alleged “Footlongs” coming in at just 11 inches, two New Jersey men have filed suit against the mega fast-food chain for deception.

You knew this would happen, right?

The lawyer for the plaintiffs, Stephen DeNittis, claims that he’s had sandwiches from 17 Subway stores measured, and none of them reached the 12-inch mark. He’s also seeking class-action status for the suit, which was filed by John Farley of Evesham, NJ, and Charles Noah Pendrack of Ocean City, NJ, reports ABC News.

We’re guessing it’s not going to be too hard to find plaintiffs who have ever ordered a “Footlong.”

Making matters worse, Subway seems to have completely bumbled its response to a collective outrage that appears to be growing by the tweet. At first there was some ****amamie explanation about bread shrinking when it’s baked, then Subway’s Australian subsidiary posted this on its own Facebook page, according to ABC: “‘SUBWAY FOOTLONG’ is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length.”

Needless to say, that sterling example of corporate equivocation was taken down almost as soon as it went up.

The New York Post conducted its own “investigation” (there’s one for the Pulitzer Prize committee to consider). It found that “four out of seven Footlongs—purchased at Subway locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens—measured only 11 or 11.5 inches.” An anonymous franchise owner tells the paper that the amount of meat on the subs has also shrunk by 25 percent in the past few months, owing to rising costs.

Click on the link for the full article

Unscientific, but here's my explanation:

1. High debt = weak dollar

2. Weak dollar = high oil price

3. High oil price = high production and delivery costs

4. High production and delivery costs = high retail costs

What you're seeing is real inflation and this is one example of why inflation sucks.

You left out corn ethanol policy,which raises fuel costs, feed prices and of course grain

Archived