Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fake Tickets - still a problem.....

MarkB452

Mark, that's definitely how it's done. I've called the ticket office before when I thought I had lost my tickets and they explained it to me this way. For the Ravens game, I sold 2 tickets last minute on Stub Hub. I had to download them as a PDF after they sold, so I still have a copy of the PDF on my computer. I also still have the hard ticket since I never shipped it to the buyer. I have them both in front of me now and there are two different sets of numbers and two different barcodes as well. When I went to print my etickets/PDF tickets, it told me that it would automatically void the original ticket. Hope this helps.

It probably varies on a team-by-team basis. If the team is a partner with StubHub, they probably work with the host team to cancel the current barcode and issue a new one on the resold tickets as a standard security measure. If the team and StubHub aren't partnered, that's not really possible, so StubHub just issues a PDF ticket with the same barcode so it can be scanned. If there's an issue, StubHub just falls back on the FanProtect policy and screws the seller.

This is why I only go through StubHub anymore. I know over the course of time that its probably cheaper for me to get scammed once every 20 events rather than pay the StubHub fees, but a) I'd rather pay an honest business and more importantly, B) I don't want to deal with that nonsense at the few events I go to anymore.

It probably varies on a team-by-team basis. If the team is a partner with StubHub, they probably work with the host team to cancel the current barcode and issue a new one on the resold tickets as a standard security measure. If the team and StubHub aren't partnered, that's not really possible, so StubHub just issues a PDF ticket with the same barcode so it can be scanned. If there's an issue, StubHub just falls back on the FanProtect policy and screws the seller.

This is why I only go through StubHub anymore. I know over the course of time that its probably cheaper for me to get scammed once every 20 events rather than pay the StubHub fees, but a) I'd rather pay an honest business and more importantly, B) I don't want to deal with that nonsense at the few events I go to anymore.

In this case, it has nothing to do with Stub Hub as I downloaded the PDF, saved it to my computer, then uploaded it to Stub Hub. I chose the option to do it only after a sale took place, so it never happened until someone actually made the purchase. This way, if I sold them by some other method other than Stub Hub (Craigslist for example) I could still keep/use my hard ticket.. Once I had a buyer, I logged into my season ticket account on Redskins.com and downloaded a paper/eticket, it automatically deactivated the original one. I did this for an earlier game when I left my tickets at a relatives house accidentally. When you go to your season ticket account manager to do the eticket, it makes you give a reason. The choices are lost my tickets, tickets were stolen, left tickets at work, and maybe one more.It gives you more than one warning that by printing a new ticket, you will be voiding the current one.

New bar codes? Are you sure about that? I think you might be mistaken, because a broker once told me he had accidentally sold a pair of genuine tickets after selling them as a pdf. What happened was the person with the legit ticket was denied entry because the person with the pdf entered first (you can't enter with the same ticket or the same bar code). It was an honest mistake - he should have destroyed the original when he printed the pdf (and I think that's a primary reason why most brokers won't sell legit tickets anymore, they just sell the pdfs, even if you pick them up in person).

Before the print tickets at home option...

I once gave two tickets for a late season game to a friend in October. He gave them to his church charity auction and forgot. When that game came, he thought he had lost the tickets, so the Skins reissued. The buyers of the real auction tickets were denied entry, as the bar codes had been voided. The buyers told the Skins mgt the auction story, and the Skins called me. I put them on hold, called my friend and he remembered. Luckily, he was not at the game yet. I told the Skins the story, and asked them to apologize to the guys. Skins then let the guys with the tickets in. I told my friend to quit drinking, and also told him that the next time he loses tickets I give him, he's out of luck.

I thought the Skins handled that well.

Before the print tickets at home option...

I once gave two tickets for a late season game to a friend in October. He gave them to his church charity auction and forgot. When that game came, he thought he had lost the tickets, so the Skins reissued. The buyers of the real auction tickets were denied entry, as the bar codes had been voided. The buyers told the Skins mgt the auction story, and the Skins called me. I put them on hold, called my friend and he remembered. Luckily, he was not at the game yet. I told the Skins the story, and asked them to apologize to the guys. Skins then let the guys with the tickets in. I told my friend to quit drinking, and also told him that the next time he loses tickets I give him, he's out of luck.

I thought the Skins handled that well.

Okay. Are you sure the original bar codes had been voided? Is it possible the pdfs had simply entered first?

Just curious.

Good info. Thank-you.

Okay. Are you sure the original bar codes had been voided? Is it possible the pdfs had simply entered first?

Just curious.

Good info. Thank-you.

Yes, I am sure the original bar codes had been voided. Because the actual tickets were rejected, even though my friend who had the replacement pdfs had not made it to the stadium yet. Thanks.

From my experience at the games, anyone can walk into the stadium. The security that checks tickets barely looks, and the ushers will let you walk right by if you look like you know where you're going. I had LL sideline seats, and there was a girl going section to section looking for two empty seats. There happened to be two in front of me, and the girl asked my girlfriend, "Has anyone been sitting here?" When my girlfriend said no, the girl got excited and left, and ten minutes later she came back with a guy and sat down. I don't even think they had tickets to the game. I was kind of jealous since I spent all that money for my seats. (Oh well)

From my experience at the games, anyone can walk into the stadium. The security that checks tickets barely looks, and the ushers will let you walk right by if you look like you know where you're going. I had LL sideline seats, and there was a girl going section to section looking for two empty seats. There happened to be two in front of me, and the girl asked my girlfriend, "Has anyone been sitting here?" When my girlfriend said no, the girl got excited and left, and ten minutes later she came back with a guy and sat down. I don't even think they had tickets to the game. I was kind of jealous since I spent all that money for my seats. (Oh well)

That stuff happens all the time. Wish they actually had ushers that checked tickets before they let you in the section.

• 3 weeks later...

Not only what MTH said, but hard Ticketmaster tickets for the Dallas game printed in September? (see code in lower left).

Highly, highly doubt it.

I suppose it would be theoretically possible to buy tickets at a Ticketmaster outlet when they are released right before the game and get that stock, but that's about the only way I can see that happening.

Yeah, but when? I don't think tickets are really ever sold via Ticketmaster for the Redskins within in a timeframe that would allow them to be mailed. All I know of are the "Player and Visiting Team" returns that are never more than a few days out. Has anyone ever bought *Redskins* tickets via TM or had them mailed, or even picked them up on that hard ticket stock? If so, I'd love to see the stub.

One way to tell if a ticket is real or not, even if it is a ticketfast ticket, season ticket, or whatever form it's in is to go to www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com. Go through the process of locating your event, and then try listing/selling your ticket. It will prompt you for the barcode of the ticket. If it is an active ticket and the barcode is good, it will tell you the exact seat and location of the ticket. If it is a bad ticket, it will give you an error message. If you were to actually go through the process and someone actually buys them, ticketexchange will imediately email them new ticketfast tickets with new barcodes which will void your old tickets.

The only thing this won't help with is if you bought a ticketfast printout from someone and they made 100 copies of it. The barcode would work fine on the ticketexchange website, however the only one that will work is the first printout that is scanned at the gate at FedEx.

By the way, I tried entering the barcodes off the tickets in MTH's picture and I couldn't get any of them to work, so I would say those tickets are defnitely fake. Unless I am not seeing the barcodes clear enough and entering in a wrong number or two, which I don't believe I am.

Some people are afraid of buying ticketfast tickets and would rather have the actual hard tickets. I personally don't care either way, as long as I know I bought the tickets from a trusted broker site, or used paypal when dealing with craigslist or Ebay.

This thread is making me paranoid. I got two hard-copy tickets off Stubhub. (In the bottom right corner is an account number. Above that, the price is: $0.00. Is it possible that after I bought the tickets on Stubhub, the original owner could have then moved to get them replaced and invalidated by PDF copies with new bar codes? I tried the trick that josh35b described, and I got the following message:

The barcode or barcodes you have entered are not eligible for resale. If you feel this is incorrect, please contact the Washington Redskins ticket office at 513-621-8383 or nflticketexchange@ticketmaster.com for clarification.

This thread is making me paranoid. I got two hard-copy tickets off Stubhub. (In the bottom right corner is an account number. Above that, the price is: $0.00. Is it possible that after I bought the tickets on Stubhub, the original owner could have then moved to get them replaced and invalidated by PDF copies with new bar codes? I tried the trick that josh35b described, and I got the following message:

The barcode or barcodes you have entered are not eligible for resale. If you feel this is incorrect, please contact the Washington Redskins ticket office at 513-621-8383 or nflticketexchange@ticketmaster.com for clarification.

That's an odd message, but I wouldn't be too concerened. They were most likely promotional tickets given away by the team and they don't want them being resold. I have seen several tickets over the years with 0.00 on them and they were fine. I think the Red Cross tickets may have 0.00 printed on them too. Plus, if you should run into any issues, StubHub has an office at the stadium, so you would just go there and they would find you suitable replacements at no charge. If I were you I would feel 100% confident in those tickets working.

Archived