Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions about going back to college...Post-Bacc., Masters, etc.

Metalhead

I'm hoping some people on here may be able to answer some questions I have about going back to college, full-time if possible.

I already have a four-year BFA in Art & Design. It's useless lol. The typical next step is a Masters in a field that I choose (assuming I can get in). However, I have no real foundation in any legitimate Masters program, like business, mathematics, or the sciences. If I learn something new, I want to start from the beginning.

It appears that every educational institution has varying definitions of a post-baccalaureate program...some are very vague, even calling it by the generic "continuing education". As in University of Maryland's case, they mention post-baccalaureate but then describe it as being for non-degree seeking students. What does that mean?

Is it possible for me to apply for under-grad full-time and earn another degree?

Is age (I'll be 30 in a few months) a factor in acceptance?

Age likely won't be a factor in acceptance. I'm in an MA program right now and we have folks all over the age spectrum from early twenties up to guys that have grey hair. I don't think that will be a problem.

For your other question, a non degree seeking student is one that attends classes but doesn't get credit for them. It's for those types of people that are just there for the knowledge. If you are looking to get a new degree then you want a degree seeking program.

If you're only looking to get a degree in something else then many universities have programs to switch you to another degree. It's typically just taking the required upper division coursework for your new major since you've already completed gen ed. If you do choose to go the route of graduate school then my suggestion is to have a solid reason why you are doing it and what you want to achieve from it. Graduate work is a lot different than undergrad work and in the 2 to X years that you'll be in grad school you're going to be missing out on work experience which is equally if not more important. So have a plan and don't do it unless you feel that this is the best way to achieve your goals.

Depending on the university, it shouldn't be a problem. This happens all the time at the lower tier state universities (I know first-hand from GMU), and 29 isn't that old in any case Going from a BFA to the harder sciences(physics, chemistry, certain aspects of biology), engineering or mathematics is going to be quite a culture shock though. You might want to take an intro course just to get your feet wet to see if its really for you (GMU should be more than happy to take your money, at least when I went there a few years ago)

Thanks Dallas. Whew, I have grey hair and I was worried about that lol.

Depending on the university, it shouldn't be a problem. This happens all the time at the lower tier state universities (I know first-hand from GMU), and 29 isn't that old in any case Going from a BFA to the harder sciences(physics, chemistry, certain aspects of biology), engineering or mathematics is going to be quite a culture shock though. You might want to take an intro course just to get your feet wet to see if its really for you (GMU should be more than happy to take your money, at least when I went there a few years ago)

Thanks DC. I was looking at GMU earlier today to see what they offered. So they must be like Frostburg then, haha. I had applied the first week of July, nearly a month after the application deadline, and they accepted me three weeks before classes started for my freshman year.

There's no age discrimination in masters or doctorate. In my experience most are closer to 30 than 20 or are even past that age spectrum.

Art and design can apply to more masters degrees than you'd think, plus you can probably get creative enough in the personal essay to justify the transition from that to whatever you're interested in. I would not accrue much more debt and go back to undergrad. So long as you know what field you want then go for it in masters. If you don't know at least the field, like history, education, biology, sociology, etc. then I wouldn't apply until you do know.

There's no age discrimination in masters or doctorate. In my experience most are closer to 30 than 20 or are even past that age spectrum.

Art and design can apply to more masters degrees than you'd think, plus you can probably get creative enough in the personal essay to justify the transition from that to whatever you're interested in. I would not accrue much more debt and go back to undergrad. So long as you know what field you want then go for it in masters. If you don't know at least the field, like history, education, biology, sociology, etc. then I wouldn't apply until you do know.

Currently I am a Quality Control/Assurance supervisor at a metal fabrication and manufacturing shop, and starting to phase into some auditing. I am typically embattled with upper management and production with very little cooperation or teamwork. It's exhausting lol. But anyway, I'm looking for a change.

I'd like to earn a degree in finance/accounting with some computer science mixed in. UMBC appears to have the courses (on paper anyway) that I'm interested in - a B.S. in Financial Economics and a minor in computer science. Would a masters provide me the same or better education than an undergrad such as that?

You would be wasting your time and money to go back and get another undergrad degree. How many job descriptions do you see that require a BS in financial econ? Or a BS in anything for that matter. Plus, if you go for a 2nd bachelor's I don't think you will be able to get financial aid assuming you used up your eligibility on your first degree.

If you want to study econ and computer science, why not find an MBA program that allows you to do that? An MBA will help open a lot more doors than a BA or BS, both in terms of difficulty/rigor of the coursework and access to internships.

If I were you I would research MBA programs and see what undergrad course requirements they have, take those courses as a non-degree-seeking student, do very well in them (and make sure that's what you really want to continue studying), and then apply for an MBA program.

Don't sell yourself short by thinking you have to start from scratch. You don't. You have the bachelor's and you have relevant work experience. Take a step forward, not back.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

[/color]

Do you know what you are even looking to do? It might be easier to focus your search based on the subject you choose to pursue...

I really agree with this. You need to decide what your end goal is and go from there. Don't just go back to school just to go back. Make sure you choose a program that will help you get where you want to be. If you don't know where that is, then you're not ready to go back to school.

I'm currently in a PhD. program. I started when I was 21 but most people who came in with me were between 25-27. I had some masters students in my initial courses and there were several in late 20's and a few in early 30's.

Age shouldn't be an issue. The people who complained about their respective programs were frustrated that they didn't do a thorough job of finding out what exactly they'll be doing in grad school. It's easier if you are a PhD. student because you get paid and don't have to take on loans. For a Masters, you should be absolutely sure about your decision because depending on the school, you'll be paying a decent amount of money.

You would be wasting your time and money to go back and get another undergrad degree. How many job descriptions do you see that require a BS in financial econ? Or a BS in anything for that matter. Plus, if you go for a 2nd bachelor's I don't think you will be able to get financial aid assuming you used up your eligibility on your first degree.

If you want to study econ and computer science, why not find an MBA program that allows you to do that? An MBA will help open a lot more doors than a BA or BS, both in terms of difficulty/rigor of the coursework and access to internships.

If I were you I would research MBA programs and see what undergrad course requirements they have, take those courses as a non-degree-seeking student, do very well in them (and make sure that's what you really want to continue studying), and then apply for an MBA program.

Don't sell yourself short by thinking you have to start from scratch. You don't. You have the bachelor's and you have relevant work experience. Take a step forward, not back.

Great response and thank you. You slapped me around a bit and knocked some sense into me lol.

Yes, I'm afraid of going too far back...especially if I don't need to. My alma mater (Frostburg) has an MBA program that doesn't appear to be very difficult to get into, and even provides information on relevant under-grad courses. I'm just pulling in as many opinions and tips as possible, since the college websites don't provide anything detailed for comparison (and I can't call right now over the holiday break).

I first was able to graduate with a B.A. in Physical Education and a B.A. in Psychology and a concentration in Health, I then was able to graduate with a Masters degree in Religious Education. I was 32 when I got my Masters degree. So it is not to late. I did not have to take any additional undergraduate courses before starting my Master's program. I had taken a intro to religion class as part of my general studies.

Getting a Masters degree was different from getting a B.A. you attend some classes but most of the time it is doing research papers. The final part is a Masters Thesis on a subject that is chosen by either the department head or by you. My Masters Thesis was 5000 words. I was assigned the topic of comparing and contrasting the Raptue and the Second coming and to discuss the various theories on the timing of the rapture to the tribulation. The Masters Thesis was graded by 3 different professors. Sometimes a Masters thesis has to be defended orally as well.

I agree with the others who said bachelors level work i's probably a waste of time and money. I'd highly recommend one of the online masters programs that caters to career changers/adult learners. It makes working full-time while you're in school much easier and in my experience they are generally much more willing to be flexible to accommodate issues that inevitably come up for adult learners. That's not to say you can skate through or that it's not hard work, just that they're more likely to be willing/able to work with you when things happen. You can also expect to spend a good amount of time learning or re-learningbackground information that you'll need just to be able to do much of the work that you'll get in a masters level program. However I think that kind of independence and initiative are actually good qualities to develop for your future professional success.

Good luck!

I agree with the others who said bachelors level work i's probably a waste of time and money. I'd highly recommend one of the online masters programs that caters to career changers/adult learners. It makes working full-time while you're in school much easier and in my experience they are generally much more willing to be flexible to accommodate issues that inevitably come up for adult learners. That's not to say you can skate through or that it's not hard work, just that they're more likely to be willing/able to work with you when things happen. You can also expect to spend a good amount of time learning or re-learningbackground information that you'll need just to be able to do much of the work that you'll get in a masters level program. However I think that kind of independence and initiative are actually good qualities to develop for your future professional success.

Good luck!

Thanks Yusuf. I've decided that I'm going to take a couple courses this spring semester through my local community college to get my feet back in the water. It has two-year degrees designed for transfer to four-year schools but I'll be burning up the phone lines this coming week to make sure credits transfer, just in case. And if I go MBA in a year or so, I'll be "relearning background information". This plan seems reasonable and makes financial sense.

For your other question, a non degree seeking student is one that attends classes but doesn't get credit for them. It's for those types of people that are just there for the knowledge. If you are looking to get a new degree then you want a degree seeking program.

Not exactly correct. You get credit for them but they don't go toward a particular degree. In my case, I'm doing post-baccalaureate pre-med classes but am not putting them toward a degree, since I already hold a bachelor's. However, I do get credit for them for when I apply to medical school.

In the case of UMD, Metalhead, non-degree seeking students don't get a degree but you CAN apply to be a degree-seeking student (which it looks like you want to do). Doesn't matter if you already hold a degree, you can get another one as long as you do the formal application process.

*edit* Should also note that I agree with the consensus in the thread that you probably don't need another bachelor's degree.

In the "harder" sciences, 30 is not old. Given how far your degree is from the science, unless you took a substantial number of science classes for some reason not related to your degree, you'd likely be required to take a large number of undergrad courses prior to be admitted into a MS program. In most cases, such people aren't actually required to get a BS in the area of science though to get into the MS program.

You can take undergrad courses as a non matriculating student (non degree seeking). I would talk to several institution that you would think would be reasonable to get your degree from in the area you decide to get the degree before preceeding though to see what they specifically suggest given your under grad degree and their particular programs.

Archived