Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII is the 2012 Rookie of The Year! The Official RGIII Rookie of The Year Watch Thread

Boss_Hogg

Well, the same argument was made concerning Newton/Dalton last year, Dalton got to the playoffs, but Newton had better stats. Newton ultimately won out against Dalton.

RGIII has much better stats than Newton did, efficiency wise, and we're also likely to win more games than the Panthers did, even if we don't make the playoffs. RGIII is definitely the better player, and I think even if we miss the playoffs and they make it RGIII will still get it.

That's a good point. Didn't think about that

Bill Barnwell wrote an article making the case of both Luck and RG3 for ROY on Grantland.com. Its a decent read though I don't necessarily agree with his arguments for Luck. It sounds like he is actually fishing for arguments to support Luck.

Check it out.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/43578/who-is-the-offensive-rookie-of-the-year

The RG3 ROY is definitely a no brainer to anyone that watches and understands the game.

Greenberg and Golic disagreeing on pretty much everything is part of their act.

Thank you.

That's all ESPN is, an act. people are told what to think. People are told to take a contrary position, it increases ratings. I find it funny that for every topic or segment they manage to find two people who disagree with each other on a regular basis.

Congratulations to RGIII, Pepsi Maxx Rookie of the week!

The OP has been updated.

Online Fan Balloting Leads To Robert Griffin III Winning Two Weekly Awards

By ZAC BOYER

zboyer@freelancestar.com | @ZacBoyer

ASHBURN – Robert Griffin III was named the Pepsi Max Rookie of the Week by the NFL on Friday, earning enough of the fan vote to receive the award for the fifth time this season.

Griffin, who went 20-for-28 for 311 yards and four touchdowns in the Redskins’ 38-31 Thanksgiving victory at Dallas, has won the award after each of Washington’s victories this season.

He was also named the FedEx Air Player of the Week, in which fans choose the top-performing quarterback after each week through online balloting. That award is accompanied by a $2,000 donation from FedEx in Griffin’s name to the Washington-area Junior Achievement, which educates youth on how to run their own businesses.

You have to keep in mind... The Colts fans NEED Luck to be the better QB... to win the ROY. If that doesn't happen, then the Colts are second guessed for not taking RG3. They had the luxury of getting to boast about picking Manning over Leaf for the last decade. It is a source of pride for them. If RG3 goes on to be the superior QB, they lose out on that boast. The only people really making the claim that Luck has been better thus far are Colts fans and Redskins haters. It's all a bunch of psychological BS. We'll just call it defense mechanisms.

Wow. It's incredible how similar RG3 and Wilson's stats are. I didn't know that. Either they got a steal, or he's a one year wonder.

Russel Wilson's stats are perverted. He was gifted a win and a game winning TD in week 3. He's also playing with a more talented group of players.

Russel Wilson's stats are perverted. He was gifted a win and a game winning TD in week 3. He's also playing with a more talented group of players.

Yep, give RG3 that team and he might be undefeated right now, especially with their defense. Wilson runs around like a chicken with his head cut off way too much and throws way too many balls up for grabs. His season is not close to RG3's or Luck's imo.

You have to keep in mind... The Colts fans NEED Luck to be the better QB... to win the ROY. If that doesn't happen, then the Colts are second guessed for not taking RG3. They had the luxury of getting to boast about picking Manning over Leaf for the last decade. It is a source of pride for them. If RG3 goes on to be the superior QB, they lose out on that boast. The only people really making the claim that Luck has been better thus far are Colts fans and Redskins haters. It's all a bunch of psychological BS. We'll just call it defense mechanisms.

Luck doesnt need to be rookie of the year. John Elway wasnt rookie of the year. Not saying Luck is John Elway.

The eye test and the stats shows that RG3 is playing the best out of the rookie quarterbacks and is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, but Luck is pretty damed good as well. Dude is a beast.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 02:26 AM ----------

Yep, give RG3 that team and he might be undefeated right now, especially with their defense. Wilson runs around like a chicken with his head cut off way too much and throws way too many balls up for grabs. His season is not close to RG3's or Luck's imo.

You're assuming that the Hawks would have tailor made their offense to fit Griff and had the same domintating run game as the Skins do now.

By the way, I'm not sold on Wilson either. I think he is way too short, but the same thing was said about Brees, Flutie, Vick.

You're assuming that the Hawks would have tailor made their offense to fit Griff and had the same domintating run game as the Skins do now.

I agree that the Redskins system is an ideal fit for RGIII but Seattle does have a dominating run game. Lynch already has 1000+ without the benefit of everything RGIII brings to the table in occupying the backside defender.

He would be doing great there as well.

What the "Luck took a 2-14 team and turned it into a playoff contender relative to RG3 inheriting a 5-11 team" argument fails to account for is that the Redskins' D in 2011 was #13 in yardage allowed, vs 28th in 2012. The Colts' D improved from bad to mid-pack. Granted, Luck improving their O and thus limiting the D's time on the field helped, but RG3 significantly improving our O (averaging 8.8 more ppg than last year) has coincided with our D becoming substantially worse. If we still had Grossman/Beck, our D might've been 32nd, and we might be a 2-14 team ourselves.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 12:07 AM ----------

Wow. It's incredible how similar RG3 and Wilson's stats are. I didn't know that. Either they got a steal, or he's a one year wonder.
Their passing stats, yes. Rushing stats, no.

Might be a little inflated, but the kid can play. He was incredibly efficient in college. I think he might have a bit of a sophomore slump, but I think the potential to be a long term solution is there. It's a just a matter of seeing how he develops.

RGIII now has five NFL Rookie of the Week awards, putting him ahead of Knowshon Moreno, Patrick Willis and Vince Young into a tie with Domanick Davis for second most all-time. He trails only Ben Roethlisberger, who finished his rookie season with nine ROTY awards (holy crap!)

Yeah, Big Ben had a pretty beast rookie year.

Which was funny because he came in the same year as Rivers and Eli. For a long time there he looked like the best QB in the class, and I'd still say he is, Eli just barely caught up, and has never been as consistent as Big Ben.

I don't think RGIII will be breaking that record, winning RotW every week is going to be tough unless 4 TDs a week becomes a regular thing (in which case he'll be in MVP contention too).

Luck doesnt need to be rookie of the year. John Elway wasnt rookie of the year. Not saying Luck is John Elway.

The eye test and the stats shows that RG3 is playing the best out of the rookie quarterbacks and is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, but Luck is pretty damed good as well. Dude is a beast.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 02:26 AM ----------

By the way, I'm not sold on Wilson either. I think he is way too short, but the same thing was said about Brees, Flutie, Vick.

They wouldnt necessarily need to tailor their offense to RG3 though. They already have a good running game and a very good defense. Throw RG3 with his talents on that team and he would be near unstoppable.

I believe he would be successful anywhere he landed because he is that great and if got paired with a really good defense, that team would be a juggernaut. We are doing it a little differently this season and doing it mostly with offense but wait until we get our defense turned around. It's going to be fun...

Might be a little inflated, but the kid can play. He was incredibly efficient in college. I think he might have a bit of a sophomore slump, but I think the potential to be a long term solution is there. It's a just a matter of seeing how he develops.

Yeah, Big Ben had a pretty beast rookie year.

Which was funny because he came in the same year as Rivers and Eli. For a long time there he looked like the best QB in the class, and I'd still say he is, Eli just barely caught up, and has never been as consistent as Big Ben.

I don't think RGIII will be breaking that record, winning RotW every week is going to be tough unless 4 TDs a week becomes a regular thing (in which case he'll be in MVP contention too).

Big Ben went 13-0 as a rookie. He only finished with 17 TD's passing, But he had a BEAST Defense and a great running game. Can you imagine if we had the Steelers D of 04 along with RGIII? We'd probably be undefeated right now.

The Colts won - Luck had another below average game by most QBs standards - another multiple interception game and below 50% completion - and yet somehow the Colts won and Luck will get the accolades and the praise again and be back in the OROY hunt - When I was watching him he simply made some flat out bad decisions - and on the Brazil TD his eyes were burning in holes in the recievers back from the snap - he didn't look at the other side of the field - against a decent defense/defender either the safety would have moved across when he saw Brazil essentially stood alone on the 5 yard line or the CB would have responded to the fact Brazil had got so far behind him - (and yes Brazil essentially did end up standing still as luck rolled out of trouble-but locked on Brazil all the way)..... man Luck by name lucky by nature ...

I just see no growth in Luck since he came to the NFL - He was an exceptional talent in collage - but I still think he has topped out (which was my concern in the draft if the colts turned heal and took Griffin, leaving us with Luck) - the mistakes he is making in week 13 are pretty much the same mistakes he made in week 1...and time will tell if they can be changed .

I watched every snap Luck took today - first time all year Ive watched an entire game of his. I came away very unimpressed. Perhaps it was just a bad day for him - not sure? For every decent throw he had there was 2 or 3 ugly ones. 3 picks (and two more that should have been along with a fumble that he was fortunate to get back) isn't a great day. Kudos for the come back win however which is really all that matters in the end. But I can't see Luck getting any weekly awards from his play today.

Im not into the bashing Luck to make RGIII better as some around here claim about those who critique Luck, Im just stating my opinion. Im sure Luck will develop into a great QB and has shown signs of that this year but again I was surprised by what I saw today since to this point most of what I have seen of him have been highlights only.

Based on what I saw today from luck and from the stats/highlights from Wilson, Id say he [Wilson] deserves it [ROTW] over Luck.

Wilson = 23/37 293 yds TD =2 INT = 0 Rating = 104.9

Luck = 24/54!! 372 yds TD =4 INT = 3 Rating = 70.8

Bears Defense is superior to that of the Lions as well...

Hopefully RGIII will come out tomorrow and play a solid game.. and compete for the weekly accolades again. As long as we win Im happy - I just hate the Giants so much at this point and really want this team to make a playoff push.

4 TDs by Luck should win him RoTW, but I'm really not feeling he deserves it. 3 picks, under 50% completion. He won, and got 4 TDs doing it, but that's a very Brett-Farvian stat line, high risk, high reward. Got the job done, but man was it sloppy.

If I was voting, I'd give it to Wilson (because RGIII hasn't played yet). 2 TDs, no INTs, 62% comp., and they won.

Of course, I'm hoping RGIII has another 4 TD, 0-1 INT, 60+% comp., day and walks away with a win, and another RoTW award. Tell Luck that 4 TDs is nice and all, but you have to be cleaner about it.

My ROY rankings are currently as follows:

1. Robert Griffin III

2. Russell Wilson

3. Andrew Luck

4. Doug Martin

5. Alfred Morris

Wilson has a great team around him, but he's put up extremely solid numbers and has done an excellent job protecting the football. He is almost to a tee the same player as RG3, except a little less physically gifted. Smart player, good arm, solid fit for Seattle and Pete Carroll.

Andrew Luck has been fantastic, but he's being asked to do entirely too much. His team has 8 wins, sure, but he's played NYJ, MIA, BUF, JAX x2, TEN, CLE, DET. He's had the easiest schedule of the group. He is everything he's been touted to be, but when a rookie, any rookie, is asked to throw the ball as often as he is, mistakes are going to be made. Teams can play coverage games as they know the run isn't a huge threat, so they can sugar things and make it harder to read. That's not Luck's fault, but it is an indicator of performance. He's played very, very well. In fact, I'd even say he's lived up to be everything he was supposed to be.

Martin has been great this year. Hard punishing runner, very similar in a lot of ways to Alfred Morris in the way they run. I think Martin shows a little bit more speed and that's the difference between the two. His stats are better than Morris' due to the system he's in and the lack of a REAL passing attack. Freeman is too sporadic. As a result, Martin is featured more.

I agree with most of what you said KDawg, but I'm a bit disappointed in Luck. After today he's at 52% comp., pretty poor. I wouldn't even sweat the TD/INT, but his accuracy is probably the league's worst (going into this week, 54% was the low water mark). I suppose I can give him a little break since I think he's 6th in dropped passes by WRs (I read 27 drops this year), but even giving him those back he's barely above 56%.

He's having a good rookie year, but he still looks very much like a rookie. If his accuracy and decision making improve a bit though, he'll be doing fine.

I agree with most of what you said KDawg, but I'm a bit disappointed in Luck. After today he's at 52% comp., pretty poor. I wouldn't even sweat the TD/INT, but his accuracy is probably the league's worst (going into this week, 54% was the low water mark). I suppose I can give him a little break since I think he's 6th in dropped passes by WRs (I read 27 drops this year), but even giving him those back he's barely above 56%.

Also have to think along the lines of defenses being able to gear up for his passing attack. RG3 gets wiggle room because teams have to defend the run. Luck can run, and has shown he can (he's very athletic as most know) but he's not being utilized in that way. Defenses can hunker down on him. Reading a NFL defense for anyone is difficult, let alone a rookie.

He's having a good rookie year, but he still looks very much like a rookie. If his accuracy and decision making improve a bit though, he'll be doing fine.

I would argue it's not his decision making or his accuracy. I'd argue that both look poor due to the NFL defenses playing games with him. He needs to learn how they sugar things and then he can figure it out a bit.

Archived