Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Do men think women w/ curves or a little "junk in their trunk" are sexy?

brandymac27

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd argue you are paying attention to the wrong people. The fashion industry and Hollywood is a freak show. They are not normal human beings. I'd no more pay attention to their view on body image than someone who engaged in multiple plastic surgeries or covered their face in piercings and tattoos. Look instead at athletes who can do something functional with their bodies.:)
Of course the fashion industry and hollywood are freak shows. I don't try to emulate them as I find that type of vapid superficiality off-putting and I don't gravitate toward it. Personally, I have much more respect for strong, intelligent women and push myself in that direction.

That said, hollywood and the fashion industry do heavily influence the perception of beauty in our society and many, many young females look up to them and try to emulate that style. I don't think that's even a deniable point...

Of course the fashion industry and hollywood are freak shows. I don't try to emulate them as I find that type of vapid superficiality off-putting and I don't gravitate toward it. Personally, I have much more respect for strong, intelligent women and push myself in that direction.

That said, hollywood and the fashion industry do heavily influence the perception of beauty in our society and many, many young females look up to them and try to emulate that style. I don't think that's even a deniable point...

Right. It's not that a lot of people find the generally fit and attractive people genuinely fit and attractive, it's the media distorting it, to punish young girls self image. I', immature because I call a spade a spade, yet the media made us response is very adult. Oh-kay then.

What is natural? Is that the state your body is in if you eat healthy portions (most of commercial food portions are not "healthy")? How much exercise plays into it? Zero? I mean our ancestors got a lot of natural exercise through the course of daily living, so the sedentary state of life today (driving everywhere, not lifting anything, sitting all day, etc) is, arguably, unnatural.

Right. It's not that a lot of people find the generally fit and attractive people genuinely fit and attractive, it's the media distorting it, to punish young girls self image. I', immature because I call a spade a spade, yet the media made us response is very adult. Oh-kay then.

Hmm, I'm still trying to determine whether you are being intentionally obtuse, or you really are that dumb. Jury's still out...

1) Where you are getting this 100% blame on the media thing is unbeknownst to me as no one has indicated that. It is a fact that media is one of a CONSTELLATION of factors that go into shaping social norms. If you are unwilling to accept tha then you're just intentionally burrying your head in the sand.

2) I alluded to the stunted maturity level based on the response you gave in your post. Most people who have transitioned into adulthood have learned to phrase things in less polarizing, insulting ways and tend to shy away from sounding like a 5th grade bully :).

KB, and K...You both need to cool your jets.

KB is being abrasive but I see his point also.

K, you are being overly sensitive to this topic IMO, which asks for the answers that we are providing.

KB owns who he is same as you do K. Let that part ride.

I don't mean to take sides so much, but if anything you are coming across as just as much of a bully K.

Again, both of you need to scale it back.

Personally, I don't think she's being abrasive. I think she's trying to point out truths that some people aren't willing to accept, or just choose not to in order to excuse their own feelings.

And honestly, KB's post came across as very harsh. The "fat", "ugly", and "lazy" comments were unnecessary, and frankly, mean.

All Katie is trying to do is point out that it's comments like he made that have put a lot of pressure on females to not only feel they have to "look" a certain way to be attractive, but they have also caused self esteem issues(in some cases serious) with women-especially young girls.

Not to mention, he seems to be in denial that Hollywood and the media have really distorted what the "ideal" image of women are "supposed" to look like to be considered attractive. If Hollywood portrayed every male with the face/body of Brad Pitt for the past few decades and men were held to such high standards, I would argue that some guys would be singing a different tune about the whole media/Hollywood thing.

Not to mention, he seems to be in denial that Hollywood and the media have really distorted what the "ideal" image of women are "supposed" to look like to be considered attractive. If Hollywood portrayed every male with the face/body of Brad Pitt for the past few decades and men were held to such high standards, I would argue that some guys would be singing a different tune about the whole media/Hollywood thing.

Are males not portrayed in such high standards? Males in Hollywood have absurdly fit bodies. We all don't look like Ryan Gosling sadly.

Growing up I was skinny. Really skinny. I later filled out in college, but I was amazed in HS and early college that people had no problems commenting on my body openly. We could be in a group of people and someone would have no problem saying "Your so skinny!" and then grab my arm and say "eat more!"

Not trying to compare the distortion and unrealistic "ideal" image women face with Hollywood - but males do face similar standards.

Come on BMac...

I never said K was being abrasive, I said she is coming across as a bully too.

Some people are fat.

Some people are ugly.

Some people are lazy.

Sometimes...those three are combined. And all three of those types of people exist separately also. All true.

I think the results are mostly towards curvy women. But curvy and fat are not the same thing.

KB is giving his opinon on the topic same as the rest of us. Whereas K is kinda bullying him because of his responses. Which I stated may come across as abrasive, but that doesn't change what he is saying.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

Thanks for the reminder Duckus.

bmac,

I just read that some guy was named sexiest guy in the world (or something like that) should we all strive to be him ?

I can tell you that probably more than 90% of us don't.

I am not him, I am me. Love me for me or get to stepping. Nor do I want to be him.

KH, it just seems like he's saying the media has nothing at all to do with how a lot of people think women should look, and then goes on to say the media is basically a cop out (which isn't true IMPO). And I totally agree with what she is saying on the issue.

I'll give you this... As a guy, I guess it would be hard to understand the effects that images of women on magazine covers, movies, etc have on females. I think more women in general look at the "whole package"- personality, sense of humor, character, and looks too (but I don't think looks are nearly as prioritized for a lot of women as it is for some men) when it comes to attractiveness in general.

Personally, I'd take an average looking man with a great personality over a "Brad Pitt" who is a loser ANY day of the week. But some men are different. They tend to look at "looks" first, and I'll even go so far as to say that they'd be happy with a trophy wife even if she's a total ***** (one of my ex husband's friends is a prime example of this).

Duckus, the above paragraphs are basically the reasons why I think men have it easier when it comes to self image than women. Not to mention, I'd say there are a LOT more overweight and "average" looking males in Hollywood (especially) than there are females.

While I admit that there are unrealistic standards for men portrayed in Hollywood/popular media as well, I think the impact on women is much more significant. Just ask your nearest plastic surgeon for the gender breakdown for procedures they perform...

I'm sorry that some think it's bullying to call someone out for using insulting/derrogatory terminology. Many of the responses in this thread were perfectly acceptable as everyone has their own type they are attracted too. I don't have a problem with that. When it starts crossing the line to blatantly throwing out insults like "fat," "ugly," "fugly," and other insulting adjectives, then yeah I'm not going to to be cutesy apple pie nice in response to that.

Regardless, I think everyone's pretty much said what the have to say and there isn't any need for me be involved in any further discussion. No one's going to be convinced one way or another and it's just going to devolve into more of a cluster**** and I dont want to to do that Brandy's thread :D

Wow at anyone who doesnt think that men have as much pressure to be physically fit as women. Maybe not once you get past 30. But in the college years and toward your mid 20's everyone expects guys to be walking around with a 6 pack 365 days a year. Right next to Cosmo, you have Mens Health, Mens Journal, Etc. with guys that are 6+ feet tall and are hovering at or around 10% body fat with a good amount of muscle. The whole "ask a plastic surgeon which gender he works on more" is a biased test. To improve body image, women get fake boobs because thats what they think guys value. Women dig muscle in men, and pec implants are useless, so a lot of guys turn to steroids or any type of muscle growth supplement to get them that look. So lets compare apples to apples here shall we? And not just look at plastic surgery as an indicator of gender body image issues.

K, You can say that it was me that stated you also participated in the bully thing.

My feelings won't get hurt.

Fat is fat. It is reality. Some people are fat.

Where we draw the line is completely different K.

Fat is an insult to who ? Fat people ? Well, it is what is is.

Again, I will state that you are taking this too personal. Especially as a lady that is not fat either. You do have a big head though for a Cali girl, most Cali girls have those skinny heads. :silly:

It's not about perfection. It's about delivery and execution. Then realize accepting who you are is the real happiness. I don't care what anyone besides the people I love think about me. I know who I am, I know what I am. If you are not happy with who you are than you can never make someone else happy, regardless of measurements or pounds. But also realize we all have preferences...thus the point of the thread.

And yes bmac, I did see your post. I agree with it mostly. I think we are on the same page really.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

So lets compare apples to apples here shall we? And not just look at plastic surgery as an indicator of gender body image issues.

You can't be from Florida. Where were you born ? Great post. (I joke about my buddies from FL)

K, if I was to see the same over weight girl at the gym or at McDonalds, my opinion of that person would differ.

You can't be offended by terms like "fat" or "lazy", while using a word like "dumb" to describe me.

Our points aren't so different on this topic. I think people need to be both more comfortable in their bodies, as well as being more honest about them.

You seem to be blaming the media and such. Gender also doesn't own the hurt feelings in this and I would bet it's more often hurtful to be an unattractive man, than woman.

Wow at anyone who doesnt think that men have as much pressure to be physically fit as women. Maybe not once you get past 30. But in the college years and toward your mid 20's everyone expects guys to be walking around with a 6 pack 365 days a year. Right next to Cosmo, you have Mens Health, Mens Journal, Etc. with guys that are 6+ feet tall and are hovering at or around 10% body fat with a good amount of muscle. The whole "ask a plastic surgeon which gender he works on more" is a biased test. To improve body image, women get fake boobs because thats what they think guys value. Women dig muscle in men, and pec implants are useless, so a lot of guys turn to steroids or any type of muscle growth supplement to get them that look. So lets compare apples to apples here shall we? And not just look at plastic surgery as an indicator of gender body image issues.

I'd have to strongly disagree with men having as much pressure as women to "look good". Would also disagree that women dig muscle in men, in that most probably don't like the body-builder look, and in fact, make fun of that type of guy.

Who am I kidding...pretending to know what women want or like?!?

I'd have to strongly disagree with men having as much pressure as women to "look good". Would also disagree that women dig muscle in men, in that most probably don't like the body-builder look, and in fact, make fun of that type of guy.

Who am I kidding...pretending to know what women want or like?!?

As a female, I would completely agree with you. In a way, you can compare it to a girl who has had massive plastic surgery, fake hair, boobs, botox, wears tons of make-up, etc. The whole big muscle thing is NOT a good look IMO.

Gender also doesn't own the hurt feelings in this and I would bet it's more often hurtful to be an unattractive man, than woman.

Impossible to bet on, but I'd take it if I could! Only addresses weight, but shows significant gap:

"Women are up to 10 times more likely to have a poor body image than men, a study published today has found."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-44899/Women-unhappy-bodies-men.html

Impossible to bet on, but I'd take it if I could! Only addresses weight, but shows significant gap:

"Women are up to 10 times more likely to have a poor body image than men, a study published today has found."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-44899/Women-unhappy-bodies-men.html

Weight only I would think women have a harder time then men, but just being naturally unattractive maybe not.

I was actually thinking about this last night in town. I was reminded about an old feeling I was trying to avoid. I was standing with a girl who wants to hook up with me that I'm not interested in, a girl I did hook up with a while back, who was using my presence to annoy the musician, the guy she wants to be with and a girl who I was recently with, who I just cut off, because I don't want any casual relationships, while I was just looking for the girl I was dating, who I still want to be with.

The thing is, it dawned on me that we are all relatively attractive, active people and I know guys who are interested in all four girls, who will never have a chance, because they just aren't attractive men. Giant head, very short. They all have different "flaws" (a word I'm using for lack of a better one, even if it doesn't fit), that will always keep these women just out of reach. A 5'2" guy with a great build will only go so far. A 4'10" girl with a great body will do just fine.

The whole big muscle thing is NOT a good look IMO.

I don't get it. First off, you know I respect you, or at least I hope you do.

But, it seems like you're being somewhat hypocritical here. You seem critical of men who like skinny women, but yet you're outwardly voicing the fact that muscles are unattractive. *shrug*

I don't get it. First off, you know I respect you, or at least I hope you do.

But, it seems like you're being somewhat hypocritical here. You seem critical of men who like skinny women, but yet you're outwardly voicing the fact that muscles are unattractive. *shrug*

Ok, let me clear something up. I have NO problems if a man,s preference is a thin woman. You like what you like. I mean, you can't help what you're attracted to. My issue with what some people have said in the thread is just based off of some of the language that was used (maybe the tone of the posts is a better way to describe it), and the fact that some have said the media doesn't play a role in how some people assume women are "supposed" to look.

Ok, let me clear something up. I have NO problems if a man,s preference is a thin woman. You like what you like. I mean, you can't help what you're attracted to. My issue with what some people have said in the thread is just based off of some of the language that was used, and the fact that some have said the media doesn't play a role in how some people assume women are "supposed" to look.

If the media was blamed for any other possible thing, what you should buy, what you should listen to, anything, you would be called a paranoid conspiracy theorist. But when it comes to "what you should look like", the media is making your decision?

Ok, let me clear something up. I have NO problems if a man,s preference is a thin woman. You like what you like. I mean, you can't help what you're attracted to. My issue with what some people have said in the thread is just based off of some of the language that used and the fact that some have said the media doesn't play a role in how some people assume women are "supposed" to look.

I mean, the media probably plays some sort of role. But let's be honest, there are guys who love curvy women despite what the media tells them. And to be quite honest, most men I know think a lot of the super models are horrendously unattractive.

My ex-gf years ago used to watch Next Top Model or whatever that show is called and she would gawk at the women and talk about how beautiful they were. I vehemently disagreed and couldn't stand watching it.

I think women sometimes fuel their own self image issues (and the same can be said for men). They think that because someone is on TV and people claim them to be attractive that all men (or women) find that type of female attractive. It's simply not true. Some people do, sure. But there is a flip side.

I think your point about what you're attracted to is what you're attracted to is dead on the money, to be honest. I'm not sure media has much influence on that. *shrug*

I get your point though. It can be discouraging.

I mean, the media probably plays some sort of role. But let's be honest, there are guys who love curvy women despite what the media tells them. And to be quite honest, most men I know think a lot of the super models are horrendously unattractive.

My ex-gf years ago used to watch Next Top Model or whatever that show is called and she would gawk at the women and talk about how beautiful they were. I vehemently disagreed and couldn't stand watching it.

I disagree too when my wife says that stuff....but I continue to keep watching! :) Just like I make fun of Dancing with the Stars.

Archived