Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bourbon Thread (Scotch is acceptable as well)

benskins26

Ok, thanks for the heads up, if you ever make it out to FedEx come see me at the ES Tailgate, I bring a small but top shelf bouron selection with me every game.

I have gotta come see you. I'll bring some Pappy 15. I'm dying to try that Stagg. I've heard that despite the 147 proof, it's exceptionally smooth. I think it's crucial for bourbons to be around 97 or higher. Anything less just feels too weak (the exception would be pappy 12).

I was at Beer bourbon BBQ fest a couple years ago, and was just getting into bourbon. The rep from Makers told me that any bourbon over 90 has to have a splash of water, or else you'll lose the flavor and just get the bite. I don't think I could disagree more now. If I'm drinking a heavy proof, I pour it and let it open up in a snifter for a bit. But if its good stuff, I can't imagine splashing water in there.

And like you said, I keep a bottle of cheap stuff for the ".... And coke" drinkers. Haha. And no jack Daniels in my house. I keep that in my frat days.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 06:32 AM ----------

Give this a read, lots of excellent info in here. Favorite Whiskey

So I read through this- you and I definitely have the same tastes. That Jefferson's Presidential is fantastic. Disagree on the regular jeffersons thpugh. For cheap bourbon, it's not too bad- just really light. Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I'm a big fan of the Elijah 18, which they are sadly discontinuing. Another great, but rare one- Noah's Mill. Very similar to the Pappy 15. Haven't ever seen it in a store though. Which brings me to my next point...

Anyway, you seem to have access to some incredibly difficult to find bourbons- where are you getting these? I'm in Raleigh, nc, and we rarely get any of the rare stuff, and if we do, you're never going to walk into a store and just find it on the shelf. You have to track the shipments and harass the ABC boards, and sometimes travel (the inspiration for this thread was my last month of Pappy chasing, which was ultimately capped by a 2 hour drive for a bottle of 12, 15, and 20- which, because they are so hard to find around here, I'm afraid to even open the 20).

I really want to get that Jefferson's presidential, stagg, pappy 23, noah's mill, and that weller.

Edit: went back through, saw where you were finding these. What kind of availability is there now? I might need to drive up there- or if you want to make some extra cash?:)

Not a fan of basil Hayden's- too light. its a mixing bourbon that costs 45 a bottle. bakers has to be one of the most unique bourbons, has the pepper and grassy taste of a scotch.

Try Old Grandads 100 p bib...Basil with flavour

I love Bakers

I'm working my way through a bottle of JD Single Barrel and some Bookers right now. My favorite Scotch of the moment is a bottle of Battlehill 25-yr that my buddy got me as an engagement gift. It's hard to find, I think he had to special order it, but damn is it good, reminds me a bit of Lagavulin.

2_109752750_3.jpg

These are the best 2 Bourbons in the world bar none. If you ever see one and get a chance to buy or try do not pass it up. I have these at the ES Tailgate come see me there if you would like a sip. But if you ask for some coke to mix it with I'm sending you packin!! :ols:

http://www.backroomwines.com/uploads/images/products/large/George%20Stagg%20Bourbon.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ctQl8JtLEQQ/TT_jn_AIjiI/AAAAAAAAACU/SKAb_T9lhug/s1600/159950_468x550.jpg

I second and third Bob's comments. I've never had a better bourbon. Ever.

I'm talking about the Stagg. Bob watched me take that first sip, looking for my reaction, and he just grinned at the look on my face. Pure bliss. It was so good, that it left me literally speechless.

I have gotta come see you.

You won't be sorry!

I second and third Bob's comments. I've never had a better bourbon. Ever.

I'm talking about the Stagg. Bob watched me take that first sip, looking for my reaction, and he just grinned at the look on my face. Pure bliss. It was so good, that it left me literally speechless.

You won't be sorry!

I was going to make a very similar post.

One of the things I miss most about not having made it to a tailgate yet this year is not getting to sample Bob's (HOF44) incredible bourbon stash. A highlight every week.

georgiaredskin and I should make it down for the Ravens game though!

I was going to make a very similar post.

One of the things I miss most about not having made it to a tailgate yet this year is not getting to sample Bob's (HOF44) incredible bourbon stash. A highlight every week.

Looking forward to it!

I have gotta come see you. I'll bring some Pappy 15. I'm dying to try that Stagg. I've heard that despite the 147 proof, it's exceptionally smooth.

What you have heard i correct. I have not tried the Pappys 15 as it's so expensive and I can get Stagg and Weller cheaper. I have tried the Pappy 20 and 23 though. Like the 20, but not as good as Stagg and Weller. The 23 I did not care for, to smokey.

I really want to get that Jefferson's presidential, stagg, pappy 23, noah's mill, and that weller.

Jeffersons Presidential is comparable to Pappy 20 to me maybe a tad better. Noah's Mill while not hirrible is a cut below the other bourbon's we are talking about. 2011 Weller to me is the best bourbon ever bottled. Just an aside, but the Jefferson's Presidential is not Jefferson bourbon. It is old leftover stock from the Stitzel-Weller distillery. (Pappys Place)

Edit: went back through, saw where you were finding these. What kind of availability is there now? I might need to drive up there- or if you want to make some extra cash?:)

Ebay no longer allows the sale which is a bummer cause thats where I got most of the really rare stuff. Right now there is not BTAC in stock anywhere around here, but I have reserved some when it does come in.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 02:00 PM ----------

Miss you guys, I'll be looking forward to it. Plus you'll have a designated driver!! ;)

If you read the other thread I am clearly a single malt scotch guy. I have been getting into some crazy peat monsters lately from Bruichladdich. If anyone is a fan of peat and smoke the Octomore series from Brucihladdich is a must. My favorite to date has been the second one:

octomore2nd_300.jpg

I have tried most of them and the latest (Comus) aged in a wine cask if pretty good with the sweet notes from the wine cask mellowing out peat from the whiskey. Anywho if anyone has questions on single malt ill be happy to discuss. Though i have to be honest lately Ive been trying to get into more Bourbons and have enjoyed the ride so far. Heny McKenna is pretty darn good.

120400-lg_6.jpg

Archived