Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bourbon Thread (Scotch is acceptable as well)

benskins26

So, I'm a huge fan of the Beer thread, and have gotten some great recommendations from y'all, so I figured it made sense to kickstart a Bourbon (and Scotch) thread.

What's everyone got in their cabinet now? What are the favs?

Pappy Van Winkle just released, and I just picked up my allotment. The hoops I had to jump through to attain it was ridiculous, and I got one of each, minus the holy grail - the 23. Anyone able to score any of that?

What else do people like? Personally, besides Pappy, I find Blanton's to be the best of the single barrel but mass produced Bourbons. I'm a huge fan of the oak, with a nice caramel finish and hints of vanilla.

What's everyone drinking?

I am enjoying the Jefferson's Reserve I have right now.

I have had Blanton's Single-Barrel a couple of times and really liked it.

If I am just going to drink something cheap(ish) I go Makers, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, or Bullet.

I know it is not a bourbon, but Cabin Fever Whisky is currently my favorite. The past couple of years I have gone to Nashville's Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival and Cabin Fever has been there. My friends and I hit that table several times throughout the day. I have not been able to find it in Alabama, so I asked the ladies serving this past weekend where I could buy some. They said it is going to 50 states this November. I highly recommend it to everyone.

I am not much at describing tastes but it is kind of sweet, but not too much and it smells great. Here is the description from their website:

'Cabin Fever is a 3 year old, 80 proof whisky that is infused with real grade B dark maple (not overly sweet). A very unique flavor with intense aromas. A delicate blend of leathery oak and maple that comes together in harmony; an endlessly long finish. The aroma will fill a room.'

http://www.cabinfeverspirits.com/Home.html

Cabin-Fever-Whisky.jpg

I am enjoying the Jefferson's Reserve I have right now.

I have had Blanton's Single-Barrel a couple of times and really liked it.

If I am just going to drink something cheap(ish) I go Makers, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, or Bullet.

Makers is what first got me started on bourbon, but now I can't stand it. But eagle rare, while a little weak, is very good, especially for the price. Buffalo trace is a good choice as well.

Definitely agree on the Jeffersons. Exceptional, but hard to find, and pricey.

I keep a bottle of Knob Creek at all time at the house.

I do enjoy Bookers and Bakers also.

I will get Basil Haydens at times when out, but usually Knob Creek is all I want.

Pappy's is amazing, sadly it's a pain in the butt to find anywhere really, and even rarer at any restaurant/bar.

I used to like Makers, but I find it too sweet these days, same as JD as far as that goes. But both are really smooth. I prefer the bite.

Never tried Jefferson's but I will seek it out for a future endeavor.

I will get Basil Haydens at times when out, but usually Knob Creek is all I want.

Pappy's is amazing, sadly it's a pain in the butt to find anywhere really, and even rarer at any restaurant/bar.

I used to like Makers, but I find it too sweet these days, same as JD as far as that goes. But both are really smooth. I prefer the bite.

Not a fan of basil Hayden's- too light. its a mixing bourbon that costs 45 a bottle. bakers has to be one of the most unique bourbons, has the pepper and grassy taste of a scotch.

Knob Creek is definitely a good choice for that middle area.

One of the things that I find interesting is the "single barrel" movement. All of a sudden, every bourbon is single barrel. Is there any regulation in that, or could Evan Williams and Jim beam just start calling themselves single barrel? If its legit single barrel (Blanton's, bakers, etc), its usually also very expensive (and delicious!) , but there are several single barrel bourbons for $20-25.

This post makes zero sense and should be ignored completely.

So you only drink 15 to 50 dollar scotch, but BS bourbon is okay? You're wasting money fool.

Beam is pretty much like makers so there is no reason to make a change on them.

I'm about to learn from some of them best mixologists around. I'm so excited to be picked.

Please elaborate on the last part. Sounds exciting

I have alot of friends named glen.

But if I can, Im drinking Maccallan 18 or Johnny Blue.

Jack Daniels for my everyday ****tail.

This post makes zero sense and should be ignored completely.

So you only drink 15 to 50 dollar scotch, but BS bourbon is okay? You're wasting money.

Beam is pretty much like makers so there is no reason to make a change on them.

I'm about to learn from some of them best mixologists around. I'm so excited to be picked.

We've got a pretty cool local craft whiskey out here called Stranahan's:

http://www.stranahans.com/home/

They've branded something new and its a bourbon / scotch hybrid called: 'Colorado Whisky'.

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2010/02/02/malt-advocate-whisky-awards-artisan-whiskey-of-the-year-stranahans-colorado-whiskey/

If you can find it back east, it is worth a try.

stranahan

These are the best 2 Bourbons in the world bar none. If you ever see one and get a chance to buy or try do not pass it up. I have these at the ES Tailgate come see me there if you would like a sip. But if you ask for some coke to mix it with I'm sending you packin!! :ols:

George%20Stagg%20Bourbon.png

159950_468x550.jpg

I like Knob Creek & Maker's Mark.....just started on a bottle of this

942009_buck8yearbourbon.jpg

I really like it. I am relatively new to the Bourbon scene.

I was never a fan of Jack Daniels in my early drinking days, and since that seemed like the default whiskey at every party, it scared me off of trying bourbon/whiskey for the longest time.

Now I am just starting to get into it. I know someone who swears by Bulleit Bourbon, says it is the best you can get in that price range. Anyone gone a few rounds with that one?

Well I think Bulliet makes a rye and a bourbon. Was it the rye you had, or are you saying both brands disgust you?

Bulliet just has one blend and mostly rye with a little wheat and barley thrown in. A rye whiskey can be a bourbon too, it just has to be made in Kentucky.

This thread inspired me to get into the liquor cabinet. Having some Knob Creek. I forgot its 120 proof. Yeoow, its good.

Ah you got the single barrel reserve. The description of smokey and its youth have kept me away from that one. How pronounced is the smoke in it?

Again I think they are the same drink just labeled differently. The Bourbon is 95% rye and 5 % Barley per their website. So not sure what the difference would be other than marketing.

Link

It is interesting though, I thought to be called Bourbon it had to be 51% corn in the mash. Some research is in order for me. ;)p

Edit--- ok I found it, the bourbon is 28% rye and the rye is 95% rye. The bourbon was rough at 28% I cannot even imagine the burn of the 95% rye. Now I know way more about a Bulliet than I ever wanted to or thought I would. A truly awful spirit. :ols:

Ah you got the single barrel reserve. The description of smokey and its youth have kept me away from that one. How pronounced is the smoke in it?

Its there, you can taste it for sure. If you don't like smokey flavor you probably won't like this. I love the 120 bite though and its a good compliment to have in the cabinet.

Its there, you can taste it for sure. If you don't like smokey flavor you probably won't like this. I love the 120 bite though and its a good compliment to have in the cabinet.

Ok, thanks for the heads up, if you ever make it out to FedEx come see me at the ES Tailgate, I bring a small but top shelf bouron selection with me every game.

Archived