Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We have more then enough depth. We need star power

HeluCopter29

Second of all, not a fan of special teams? Doughty and Alexander are good STers and depth players. They aren't the problem its the players in front of them.

You know, I didn't even notice he mentioned Alexander. Apart from him being a FA at the end of the year (and hence not needing to be cut), he is a top-notch special teams player and an extremely versatiel back-up who's costing 700K. To think getting rid of him is some kind of plan to improve this team is beyond laughable.

RG3, Morris, TWilliams all have an extremely high chance of being probowl caliber players, all drafted by Shanallen. On D, Orakpo is probowl caliber, but the injury truly concerns me. Kerrigan is very solid, Jarvis isn't playing to potential, Riley has regressed, and Fletcher is looking finished.

All in all, I say give them some more time, the drafting is solid, the free agents coming in actually play hard, they just need to keep doing what they're doing.

sooooo true i wished the management were as smart as their fans

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 05:10 PM ----------

half this defensive team should be special teamers at the best. I gotta give it to Reed at least he does play every game. No pass rush, corners that cant cover High school players D hall is washed up, safeties uhhhhhh do we even have any? Man I miss Shaun and Landry

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 05:08 PM ----------

half this defensive team should be special teamers at the best. I gotta give it to Reed at least he does play every game. No pass rush, corners that cant cover High school players D hall is washed up, safeties uhhhhhh do we even have any? Man I miss Shaun and Landry:logo:

DeAngelo Hall: $11.3 millions

London Fletcher: $7.25 millions

Santana Moss: $ 6.16 millions

Chris Cooley $5.8 millions

Deadcap if each player were to be released on March 1st: Moss (34.3%), Cooley (31.7%), Hall (3.6%)

The only "hope" is what Schefter said, I would like him to tell us how does he thinks that, based on what ?

"Shehan: "Do you think there is a chance they get some relief?"

Schefter: "I absolutely think there is a chance they get some...

OP, I agree completely. We have plenty of quality depth. What we desperately need is starters.

Despite the focus on FA in this thread, I offer one, very simple reason why we lack more stars:

We didn't draft them when we should have.

For the vast majority of NFL standouts, getting "star power" takes several years of development before finally breaking out. Very, very few of the NFL's best were truly elite in their first few seasons. It takes time. From the team's perspective, what you want is to have those talented, high-potential guys on the roster right as they hit their prime, and do what you can to make sure they're playing for you and not somewhere else when that happens. The best--and in most cases only--way to time that right is to have drafted those star players to begin with.

For purposes here, this means two things. First, we don't have more stars because we misfired on so many high-round draft picks before Shanahan arrived. How many threads on ES are dedicated to our draft-day failures during the Vinny era? Posters in other threads have painstakingly--and painfully--listed which NFL superstars could be playing for us right now if only we had selected them instead of an eventual bust.

Second, we need to be patient with the guys we have drafted. Orakpo, arguably the guy with the most star power on our squad (at least if you go by the Geico and Nike ads), was our first-rounder in 2009. No one can argue that Shanahan's first-rounders (Williams, Kerrigan, and Griffin) show enormous potential to be elite. As for second-day Shanahan picks like Riley, Jenkins, Hankerson, LeRibeus, and Helu, these guys show potential too. What's holding them back is inexperience. I see great things in these guys' future, but we can't expect them to be perennial All Pros right out of the gate.

Our problem right now is that we have air in the pipes. Where other, better teams currently have a core group of quality-to-elite starters who predominantly were drafted between, say, 2004 and 2009, we have... Orakpo and Davis. That's it. We gave away too many high-round picks in those years, and too many of the other guys we drafted in the meantime who were supposed to step up and be the nucleus of the 2012 Redskins ended up being busts. That said, this roster has a great deal of young talent. I think a lot of those guys will join the ranks of the elite within the next few seasons. We just have to stay patient and, very importantly, continue to draft quality depth players behind them so that when the 2014 Redskins start the season, we'll turn heads. For the right reasons this time.

I agree the Skins should focus on developing talent. Mostly because with the salary cap hit its going to be difficult to sign FAs. Plus in order to get rid of a lot of guys under contract will cause a big cap hit.

For the most part your right because the team doesn't have much wiggle room to do much else. :(

I

Mike Wallace should be a target. Cut Moss, Morgan, Brown, Hall, and London. Use their money for DRC, Wallace, Mundy, and Clady. Cut some other players too like Reed and Zo.

Why would you cut Morgan? He's been very solid for us. Have Moss restructure as he is our leading TD WR right now, but everyone else can go. Snag Wallace and Clady for sure, and if we have room for DRC, sure. But Wallace and Clady for damn sure. Can you imagine TW71 and Clady on our OL? BEAST MODE.

I think some of those might be a little out of date. Rotoworld keeps up pretty good with the contracts.http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/was/redskins

Thanks a lot, but why don't they count the bonuses of DHall ? In 2013 he will have a $7.5 millions base salary + $300 000 signing bonus + $3.5 millions misc. bonus = $11.3 millions.

That is a $3.8 millions difference, and I wonder why Jammal Brown is missing on both websites.

Thanks a lot, but why don't they count the bonuses of DHall ? In 2013 he will have a $7.5 millions base salary + $300 000 signing bonus + $3.5 millions misc. bonus = $11.3 millions.

That is a $3.8 millions difference, and I wonder why Jammal Brown is missing on both websites.

I think they have it, but as the "option bonus -15M" which is spread throughout five years of the contract. At least, that's how it looks. And I have no idea why Brown isn't there. He's searchable and in the rotoworld database, but for some reason isn't on the redskins page.

Hall I think would save 11M if cut. His guaranteed money should be all gone by now, so the only dead cap would be the 300K.

Brown is due 3.5M next year, but the problem is he's still got guaranteed money left. I think if we cut him after June 1 his cap hit drops to 1.1M for 2013 (and would be 2M+some hundred thousands), saving around 2.4M.

Moss is due 5.8M, and he's got no guaranteed left. His price tag needs to plummet or he's gone.

Fletcher got 6.75M guaranteed, which kinda screwed the idea to backload the contract. He's owed another 3.25M of that, so cutting him would save only 2.25M, if my math is right.

Definitely some money to free up, but we'll see.

Archived