Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winning the coin flip

SkinsBoss

Not sure if worthy of it's own thread but couldn't find anything written about this......coin flip and setting the tempo. Very clear through 3 weeks we have one of the best offenses in football and that's with garçon in only 2 quarters so far. Everyone here knows our deficiencies on d but nothing about opening the game. Against Cindy we won the coin flip but deferred. Play pretend for a moment and what if we took the ball to start the game, scored first, then who knows maybe it's like the saints game and our offense is dictating the game and then d can hide a bit behind our scoring first and setting the tone for the game. My point is let's lean on the offense more open games early, set the tempo and just hope our d can stop the opposing team once in a while

Getting the ball to start the second half is more valuable than having possession to start the game. If you're behind going into the half, knowing that you will get the ball first is a huge lift. And potentially, you might have a long possession to close the first half and a long possession to open the second half, potentially leading to 14 points without giving the other team a meaningful possession between the two scores. Also, the offense has a much better idea of what the defense is doing after the half.

The offense was terrible in the first half and I see no reason to believe our first drive would have been any different had we taken the ball first.

Another argument in favor of deferring at home is that at the beginning of the game the crowd is pumped and LOUD - a good scenario for defense to be on the field. Then, at the start of the second half, the stands are still half full, with a bunch of people still on the concourse, in line at the concession stands or rest rooms... making for a quieter crowd better for the offense to operate.

Putting the defense on first at home is the right thing to do.

for one, the crowd is much more fired up.. much louder.

In theory this will disrupt their offense, and a defensive stop ignites emotion in the stadium.

after the half, a lot of folks are not in their seats, it's quieter, and you have a better environ for the offense to operate.

~Bang

Another argument in favor of deferring at home is that at the beginning of the game the crowd is pumped and LOUD - a good scenario for defense to be on the field. Then, at the start of the second half, the stands are still half full, with a bunch of people still on the concourse, in line at the concession stands or rest rooms... making for a quieter crowd better for the offense to operate.
Putting the defense on first at home is the right thing to do.

for one, the crowd is much more fired up.. much louder.

In theory this will disrupt their offense, and a defensive stop ignites emotion in the stadium.

after the half, a lot of folks are not in their seats, it's quieter, and you have a better environ for the offense to operate.

~Bang

Me and Bang:

:ols:

I'm in favor of deferring.

Kinda on subject, did any of you hear Sam Huff's comments at the beginning of the game?

I assure you he was being serious when he said,"I just thought of something, if a team kicks off first they should receive the kickoff to start the second half, to balance things out..."

Larry Michael kinda cut him off, talked over him "and that's exactly why they do it that way...and we're set to start...."

As Huff was saying,"We should write Goodell."

I always hope we lose the toss or defer. If our defense continues to be miserable, then I might understand wanting to try and take the lead early and keep them off the field to start the game, but in general, it is always better to get the ball out of half.

Archived