Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: Infection Risk Prompts New York City To Regulate Ritual Circumcision Involving "Direct Oral Suction"

Bliz

You're slacking, China :pfft:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/09/13/161090206/infection-risk-prompts-new-york-city-to-regulate-ritual-circumcision

There's no ready euphemism for this, so be warned.

The New York City Board of Health voted unanimously today in favor of a new regulation that would require parents of young boys who undergo ritual circumcisions involving "direct oral suction" to sign a consent form first.

Earlier this year, the health department warned parents and mohelin, the Jewish ritual circumcisers, to "follow strict infection control practices whenever a male baby is circumcised."

The health department had previously investigated infections of circumcised newborns with the herpes virus that causes cold sores. While nothing too serious for most adults, infections with HSV infection in newborns can lead to "death or permanent disability," the health department said.

Over a little more than a decade, the department became aware of 11 cases of serious herpes infections in boys circumcised outside the hospital. Ten of the children were hospitalized. Two died.

Most herpes infections in newborns are transmitted from mother to child. But that common route wasn't suspected in these cases. Instead they were linked to ultra-Orthodox Jewish circumcisions involving a "practice known as metzitzah b'peh, in which the circumciser (mohel, plural: mohelim) places his mouth directly on the newly circumcised penis and sucks blood away from the circumcision wound," a report on the investigation said.

more at the link

I'm Jewish (opposite end of the spectrum from ultra-Orthodox, though), and I can honestly say I have never heard of this practice. And, also, eww. I mean, seriously? Wow.

I honestly believe this mutilation to be wrong and think there may be something to the lack of sensitivity in men, due to circumcision at such young ages.

Sucking blood off.......nevermind, that's disgusting. Great time for a blame religion joke here too, but I just won't.

Is there any comment that can be made about this that isn't disgusting or offensive? Really?

Damn. Pwned :(

Should've known better

Archived