Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We shouldn't be mad at replacing Gano, we should be mad at having to constantly take Field Goals

21MadFan

I keep seeing people complaining about switching out Gano for Cundiff but we shouldn't be mad at that. What we should be mad at is the fact the the last 5 years we have been top 10 in Field Goal attempts per game 4 of those years.

2011: 2.6 apg

2010: 2.2 apg

2009: 1.6 apg (only year out of top ten)

2008: 2.2 apg

2007: 2.1 apg

Also what is troublesome is our Touchdown percentage in the Red Zone the last 5 years where we are in the bottom of the league 4 out of those 5 years:

2011: 41.18%

2010: 51.16%

2009: 56.52% (again only year not in the bottom half of league)

2008: 47.92%

2007: 49.12%

So while I do understand the people that will complain maybe we should look at the big picture and realize that what this team really needs to do to win is not settle for Field Goals and get more Touchdowns.

I keep seeing people complaining about switching out Gano for Cundiff but we shouldn't be mad at that. What we should be mad at is the fact the the last 5 years we have been top 10 in Field Goal attempts per game 4 of those years.

So while I do understand the people that will complain maybe we should look at the big picture and realize that what this team really needs to do to win is not settle for Field Goals and get more Touchdowns.[/size]

[/b]

+1

I agree with the premise of the OP. I still think there is a debate to be had about the kickers, but ultimately this is a bigger issue.

This year we should do much MUCH better. We'll have a lot of ways to get closer and get in than before, between Garcon, Moss, Hankerson, Morgan, Briscoe, Davis, Robinson, etc. And if Morris can power a bit then between him and RGIII, we have a speed threat and a power threat out of the backfield. Or we can use Helu and have 2 speed threats and a receiving threat in RGIII. THT is sort of in the middle.

Regardless, we'll have lots of weapons, and we might actually have an endzone threat this year with Briscoe. Honestly, Briscoe will be interesting to watch. Somehow I get the feeling he'll have between 6-10 TDs every year, but never get above 600 yards receiving, barring significant improvement (which might happen, since he's only 22, which is exciting).

Naturally you want to put 6 points up instead of 3. The number of points successive Redskins offenses under successive HC/OC's and QB's have left on the field for WAY too long now is criminal.

But that still doesn't excuse inconsistent kicking. If you can't punch it in, your kickers there for a reason. And ours, Gano included even though many refuse to admit it, have failed to consistently be relied upon to do that for WAY too long now in DC.

Hopefully, the latest one will finally get that job done if it comes down to it on a FAR more consistent basis than most all in recent memory have failed to do.

Hail.

What we need to do is have more possessions, than we usually do.

Which means Defense causing 3 & outs or causing turnovers. (not allowing 7, 8 or 9 minute drives)

More Offensive possessions=more scoring opportunities.

If this happens, the Redskins will make the Playoffs.

Not an opinion

Not being a homer

Not spouting nonsense

Not being unrealistic

That, is what we need to do.

I don't care if you have Lin Elliot as your kicker.

You get more Offensive possessions, you will win more than you lose.

It's that simple.

I would love to see those numbers & stats over the last 10 years on our offensive possessions VS our Opponents.

I would bet my Redskins fan card, we've had less which has contributed to more losses than wins.

and why?

No QB

Now we have a chance to change that.

Archived