Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jones-Drew contract situation

SteveFromYellowstone

How do you guys feel about this?

I, for one, think that it's ridiculous that the Jags are probably 40 mil under the cap and won't pay the face of the franchise (who has outplayed his contract). He was the only reason the Jags were even semi-competitive last season. If this was a Skins player and we had tens of millions in cap room I would be livid that we'd refuse to pay our franchise guy.

This guy is 27 years old and this is pretty much his last chance to get a good contract. When his current underpaid deal is up, he will be 29 years old and in no position to get any type of substantial deal.

From an assholish business perspective, he doesn't likely have a lot of good years left in him and it doesn't make sense to throw a whole lot of money his way when he'll be fighting to stay on an NFL team in 3 years if he goes along with typical patterns for NFL RB's. I suppose it should also be taken into account that Khan just bought this team and might either not have too much money to throw around in spite of being well under the cap, might not want to set a precedent of letting star players "push him around" though that isn't really whats happening and certainly wouldn't have been the case if he worked out a contract months ago, or he might just be a total cheapskate which IMO is more likely than anything.

From a nice PR friendly business perspective it makes sense to pay him what he's worth and been worth for at least 3 more seasons and then see what happens from there. I guess I don't really care which way they go because it's the Jaguars and all of their 12 fans will be affected.

If he was a Redskins RB after back to back 1,300 yard seasons and then a 1600 yard year, 28 TD's in 3 seasons...I'd want the franchise to pay the man because he's proven his value. Good RB's are easy to come by but great playmakers aren't as easy to find. MJD is a great playmaker and deserves the money.

I hear he's now open to being traded http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19858099

The Jaguars won't do it however. He's under contract, he signed it for the number of years they told him it would be. I understand that most NFL players expect for the last couple of years of a deal to be a formality in long term contracts, and that they really like to re-negotiate every 3 years or so as long as they're in their 20's to early 30's, or unless they're handed a monster long term salary like Peyton Manning was years ago. Like Khan said, the train is leaving the station with him or without him. I think the Jaguars will be just fine with not giving him a new contract and letting him ride the bench for a year. It's a stupid and spiteful move to make- why not unload him now and get maximum value for him. This reminds me a bit of Vincent Jackson. How much time did he waste not playing just to come back for SD last season because his other option was to go two years without playing in the NFL?

He has another 2 years left on this deal. He's not going to get another 4-5 year big contract when he's 29. It's not a hard and fast rule but most people see running backs on the decline once they hit 30.

Right now is the time when he can get that deal if he's going to get it.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but from a purely business standpoint...now is the time to make a move like this if he's going to make it.

While I understand the point about him being the face of the franchise, MJD did sign a contract. A contract, he signed, that was front loaded. I don't usually like to side with the organization in times like these but he's in the wrong for this. He's got about 2 years left on his current deal, he should play them out and then get a new deal.

The Jags are already hurting for more money and they need more of a stronger fan base. The last thing they should be caving into is a franchise player that is unaware of how much his franchise needs him.

:helmet:

i was looking for some info about MJDs contract, and heres the best i could come up with.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/8/1/3212520/are-you-kidding-me-mjd-is-far-far-from-underpaid

Matt Forte: Contract:

4 yr(s) / $30,400,000 Signing Bonus $4,000,000

Ray Rice: Contract:

5 yr(s) / $35,000,000 Signing Bonus $15,000,000

Now let’s take a look at what Jones-Drew signed for in 2009.

MJDs 2009 contract:

Contract:5 yr(s) / $30,950,000 Signing Bonus $9,000,000

I fail to see where the "need" to "Pay the man" more is. So why should the Jaguars renegotiate the contract..? It looks like the Jaguars “paid the man" and showed how serious they were to MJD in 2009.

So why should they have to renegotiate with him now in 2012? He is still one of the top paid running backs in the league and has two years left on a substantial contract, one that I may add had a hefty signing bonus.

Maybe comparing him to Forte and Rice isn’t totally fair or accurate. If that’s the case, let’s compare his salary to the other top 5 running backs (based on the reported cap hit by the teams to the NFL). Which, interestingly enough he is #5 on (http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/running-back/)

1 - Adrian Peterson at $12,705,000

2 - Chris Johnson at $10,000,000

3 - Steven Jackson at $9,648,332

4 - DeAngelo Williams at $8,700,000

5 - Maurice Jones-Drew at $8,310,000

the way i understand it, in 2009 he was given a contract extension with a year left on his rookie contract. that contract made him the 3rd highest paid RB in the league. he's played 3 years of a front loaded 5 year deal. so, he has 2 years left on his deal. should he get a new deal? i'm not so sure.

teams front load contracts for cap purposes. players like to get money up front, and it works for the teams too. now that the front loaded money is gone, he thinks the deal isnt fair? it sure as heck seemed fair when the team held a gun to his head while he signed it 3 years ago.

i dont necessarily blame him. with 2 years left on his deal, he'll be 29 and wont get the money a team would pay him today. problem is, he signed the deal and took the money.

If I were the Jags, I would trade him while I can right now where his value is the highest it will ever be. He is a 27 year old running back, you can load your team with talent and help develop your young QB and keep your cap number under control. MJD is obviously the best Jaguar pretty much ever, but I think it would be smart to unload him in a trade. Running backs tend not to last long and he got a lot of carries over his career, he won't be worth it unless you give him a 2 or 3 year contract. There will be a revolt in Jacksonville but I think it would be for the best.

On a related note, to save a new thread, I see the Jags have committed to playing in London the next four years from 2013 through 2016 after the Rams reneged on their agreement.

Guess it will finally get Jacksonville a 'home' sell-out if nothing else .....

Hail.

You going to go to one or more of these games GHH? I missed the last couple as I'd rather watch the Skins on TV than a live game with other teams but if there is a nice match up I may make a return and take my lads along for the experience on a lads and dad trip.

You going to go to one or more of these games GHH? I missed the last couple as I'd rather watch the Skins on TV than a live game with other teams but if there is a nice match up I may make a return and take my lads along for the experience on a lads and dad trip.

No.

Aside from the fact I'm against International games, I have neither the inclination to pay to watch two teams I've zero interest in; nor would I ever miss a 'Skins game in the process.

Besides, I finally got the rebuilt version of Anfield South in twice last year. And I'd still take Anfield South-West in Cardiff over it ANY day of the week. :pfft:

Now if they rotated and there was a weekend in Cardiff or Dublin say on offer .....

Hail.

No.

Aside from the fact I'm against International games, I have neither the inclination to pay to watch two teams I've zero interest in; nor would I ever miss a 'Skins game in the process.

Besides, I finally got the rebuilt version of Anfield South in twice last year. And I'd still take Anfield South-West in Cardiff over it ANY day of the week. :pfft:

Now if they rotated and there was a weekend in Cardiff or Dublin say on offer .....

Hail.

Your right - I'd rather watch the Skins on TV than someone else live. Have to take the boys to FedEx then .......better start working out how I get that one past the wife .....

If I were the Jags, I would trade him while I can right now where his value is the highest it will ever be. He is a 27 year old running back, you can load your team with talent and help develop your young QB and keep your cap number under control. MJD is obviously the best Jaguar pretty much ever, but I think it would be smart to unload him in a trade. Running backs tend not to last long and he got a lot of carries over his career, he won't be worth it unless you give him a 2 or 3 year contract. There will be a revolt in Jacksonville but I think it would be for the best.

I don't know what their cap situation is, but the Lions have a lot of injuries to RB's and MJD could be deadly addition to Stafford and Megatron. They were who popped into my head when I heard he wanted a trade. :shrug:

Your right - I'd rather watch the Skins on TV than someone else live. Have to take the boys to FedEx then .......better start working out how I get that one past the wife .....

:idea: Take me as one of the boys. Then everyone's a winner. :D

And I'm adept over the years at bunking into grounds. (It's a Scouse thing. :pfft:). So what your losing on air fare, I'm gaining you back in ticket costs. :cool:

Hail.

While I understand the point about him being the face of the franchise, MJD did sign a contract. A contract, he signed, that was front loaded. I don't usually like to side with the organization in times like these but he's in the wrong for this. He's got about 2 years left on his current deal, he should play them out and then get a new deal.

The Jags are already hurting for more money and they need more of a stronger fan base. The last thing they should be caving into is a franchise player that is unaware of how much his franchise needs him.

:helmet:

The issue with NFL contracts is that the team can dump him at any time. It's kind of similar to the military, actually. You can't get out of the contract as the employee, but the company can dump you whenever they want.

MJD still has some good years left, in fact he split carries for half his career. And his body type is ideal for taking the beating as a starting RB. He has large stocky legs that can take the force of getting tackled so much. I think he deserves a contract and is being smart. he is 27, last chance to get his big contract, and again he split carrys for half his career.

The Jags starting offense has looked good in two preseason games.

But that don't mean a darn thing.

I bet teams stack the box like crazy in week one and test Gabbert. If he can't keep defenses honest, I don't see Jennings making something out of nothing like MJD did last year.

And then MJD might have some leverage.

But best bet is he shows up and plays.

:idea: Take me as one of the boys. Then everyone's a winner. :D

And I'm adept over the years at bunking into grounds. (It's a Scouse thing. :pfft:). So what your losing on air fare, I'm gaining you back in ticket costs. :cool:

Hail.

Tempting as that does not sound .........

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

The Jags starting offense has looked good in two preseason games.

But that don't mean a darn thing.

I bet teams stack the box like crazy in week one and test Gabbert. If he can't keep defenses honest, I don't see Jennings making something out of nothing like MJD did last year.

And then MJD might have some leverage.

But best bet is he shows up and plays.

People were quick to write Gabbert off last year but lots of QBs have looked lost in their rookie years. I really liked Gabbert coming out and I think he might surprise a few people this year. Having a running game though would really help him.

Tempting as that does not sound .........

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

People were quick to write Gabbert off last year but lots of QBs have looked lost in their rookie years. I really liked Gabbert coming out and I think he might surprise a few people this year. Having a running game though would really help him.

I didn't get the Gabbert hype at all coming out. Looked the part in college but never wowed. But who the heck knows? Maybe he proves all those scouts right this year.

If they do end up trading him, Rashad Jennings seems to be a pretty capable backup.

On a side note, I played against Jennings in High School. He ran all over our team, but he was their only real threat, and we won something like 32-14

On a related note, to save a new thread, I see the Jags have committed to playing in London the next four years from 2013 through 2016 after the Rams reneged on their agreement.

Guess it will finally get Jacksonville a 'home' sell-out if nothing else .....

Hail.

Just about to post something about this to see what people felt about having a team over there.

I understand why the Jags want/are going over ther but do the people of London really want to watch one of the worst teams in the NFL....:whoknows:

And on topic. I dont think MJD will get paid. Will prob show up next week to camp and be ready for week 1.

Just about to post something about this to see what people felt about having a team over there.

I understand why the Jags want/are going over ther but do the people of London really want to watch one of the worst teams in the NFL....:whoknows: .....

Unless the league matches them up with some good/ popular opponents, then even the enthusiasm of foreign fans to see regular season full speed action may well dip the next 4 years.

I would say that might make the league think twice about this, but as a 2nd International game a season seems more a probability then a possibility in the next year or two, allied to all the money that's rolled in so far from the very successful London experiment; that doesn't seem likely even if the Jags crowds dip.

Hail.

Archived