Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread: 2012 Preseason Week 2

Hitman21ST

I don't see a whole lot Vick could have done about that hit.

That is because you didn't see the whole play. He was scrambling around for a bit and just jacked the ball up as far as he could but got smashed as he released. In that instance, you just have to fall and take a sack.

That is because you didn't see the whole play. He was scrambling around for a bit and just jacked the ball up as far as he could but got smashed as he released. In that instance, you just have to fall and take a sack.
With that description me thinks you didn't see the whole play:

There was pressure up the middle because Mathis got beat inside, Vick flushes away from the pressure (keeping his eyes downfield) still within the pocket when the RT gets beat.

So at what point should Vick give up on the play and fall to the ground? When Mathis gets beat and before the RT gets beat?

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

I'm curious what people think he's supposed to do?

With that description me thinks you didn't see the whole play:

There was pressure up the middle because Mathis got beat inside, Vick flushes away from the pressure (keeping his eyes downfield) still within the pocket when the RT gets beat.

So at what point should Vick give up on the play and fall to the ground? When Mathis gets beat and before the RT gets beat?

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

I'm curious what people think he's supposed to do?

Oh I saw the play live. I still stand that he should have just taken the sack and by that I mean, He should of got his ass down.

I don't see a whole lot Vick could have done about that hit.

I thought Vick didn't wear rib pads, Im wrong

Players are going to get hurt theres not much he can do. Vick has a past and injuries can kind of linger.

Rib pads I didn't think he wore

710x380-20120820-vick.jpg

I guess I'm not understanding what exactly 'not make a play' entails physically.

Is he supposed to lay down as soon as Mathis gets beat that way he automatically avoids the hit when the RT gets beat?

That would look funny as hell seeing quick inside pressure and your QB curling into a fetal postion, if that was the case Griffin would have been laying down during most of the drop backs in the 1st qtr.

I don't know maybe its just me but how about the OL not get beat on quick inside pressure and another OL get beat on an outside rush?

*Shrugs* it looked like a routine play to me that had a bad outcome, don't see how this is Vicks fault.....

Now that head first slide? That was a poor decision.

I want Wilson to start, just because it means the Seahawks screwed the pooch with giving Flynn the big contract.

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 05:21 PM ----------

Can you imagine having FIVE rookie quarterbacks start in week 1?

Has that ever happened before?

Can someone find out what the record is for most number of rookies starting opening week?

Bill Barnwell, who I enjoy reading but almost disagree with, actually makes some good points in the article below. I'm a big Russell Wilson fan and have been impressed by Tannehill in preseason (keyword preseason) but I'm not sure I understand the logic of starting them now.

Also, would Wilson be getting the start had TO not dropped a perfectly thrown bomb by Flynn against Denver?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/35192/the-curious-and-dangerous-world-of-starting-rookie-quarterbacks

Bill Barnwell, who I enjoy reading but almost disagree with, actually makes some good points in the article below. I'm a big Russell Wilson fan and have been impressed by Tannehill in preseason (keyword preseason) but I'm not sure I understand the logic of starting them now.

Also, would Wilson be getting the start had TO not dropped a perfectly thrown bomb by Flynn against Denver?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/35192/the-curious-and-dangerous-world-of-starting-rookie-quarterbacks

I have 2 words for Barnwell: physical skillset

Assessment of physical skillset is at the core of evaluation and individual physical skillset can be gleaned from watching preseason.

If a QB can throw the ball standing on the right hash mark to the left sideline its empirical it isn't dependent upon the WRs or the DB its part of his physcial skillset and no one can take that away.

Or if a QB can duck or juke or otherwise evade a would be sack or tackle then he had that physical ability it does diminish based on preseason vs regular season.

You take the player with the best physical skillset and you coach them, teach them, mold them.

Archived