Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24/7:Film Sessions:Alex Gibbs teaches the stretch run scheme..UPDATED W/PT.2 ( PA pass game etc)

Lavarleap56

I can not see them while I'm here at work unfortunately... bummer.

Call your IT department, tell them you have some training videos that are must watch and see if they will let you view them.

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 08:38 AM ----------

Definately going to watch some at lunch time today. I'm going on a trip for the weekend, so I'll have to come back on Monday to watch the rest. Sounds like it's really good.

Good article.

Rarely do prospects truly live up to the hype they receive (braford, Russell, bush, leinart, young). It amazes me however every day Robert continues to prove that he is as advertised, I was weary about all the picks given, but as everyday passes I get more and more comfortable.

Ok, I just watched the first 2 videos. :thud:

I'm so glad I voted the way I did in Jumbo's Football Acumen poll b/c I don't know ****! I seem to understand the concepts better when I can see the plays in action (like the 3rd video), but on the chalkboard, I need a "football dummy" version to help me out. I am a football idiot :mad:

I'm so glad I voted the way I did in Jumbo's Football Acumen poll b/c I don't know ****! I seem to understand the concepts better when I can see the plays in action (like the 3rd video), but on the chalkboard, I need a "football dummy" version to help me out. I am a football idiot :mad:

Haha everyone starts somewhere and learns differently. I thought I knew a good bit about the techniques of our run game but I learned a ton from all the videos. I think it is pretty easy to see why coaches prefer TH/ Royster over Helu as a starter based on Fred Davis doesn't seal the edge that well. Helu is the better outside runner of the group but if Davis poor blocking makes the backs run inside more rather than bounce it outside and inside runs favor TH/Royster.

Just thank God this isn't Al Saunders going through his playbook, or I do believe I'd voluntarily hand myself over to the men in white coats for that padded cell by video three.

Hail.

Thank you but I don't know about best thread ever but appreciate the kind words. The zone blocking scheme takes so much repetition to perfect you can't really bounce around between different blocking schemes as Gibbs discusses in the videos. You can't just wake up and decide you want to add some counters and power runs because it changes all the rules and keys for the oline. What we can do is add new offense like pistol,spreads,zone read option because our oline is not learning anything different and block the same for a zone stretch as they would a jet sweep. Essentially everything remains the same except for position of the QB pre snap. The possibilities are endless with Shanahan and Griffin III.

1. We need to hire him!

2. Just rushed for like 200 yards in the madden demo after watching this

3. I want to join your team on the podcast

I think the acquisitions along the line, and our draft prospects there this year show a greater dedication to the stretch run aspect.
I agree with you on almost everything.

But, I don't know dude, I think a team showing more dedication to the stretch would find more definetive solutions along the OL.

That is not to say that I dislike our young OL prospects because I like them (Willie Smith, Gettis, Compton), but I doubt the indicate a great commitment to the strectch.

Kyle appears to be a pass focused OC (i must throw out a caveat: that the previous statement is not a value judgement but an observation) and if anything I think we're going to see focus on the passing game: explosive/chunk yardage plays and RAC get the ball to a receiver/playmaker in space.

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 05:18 PM ----------

Oh Gibbs is a trip but damn if he does not know his stuff. Video 1 is basically the basics but 2,3,4 gets into the meat and potatoes of the run schemes and OL calls based on fronts. I new when I put this together it would be a thing for football heads and some would skip over it. Sad in a way when you can learn so much about our scheme and give yourself a better understanding of why it is or is not working. I can talk all day about this stuff and prefer it actually compared to the other threads ive been in lately.
Amen bro.

Some of the best thread on ES have the least traffic.

One of my all time favorite threads was a group breakdown of Redskins v Dallas from about 2 years ago.

I have the link saved somewhere:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?288596-SKINS-V-S-COWBOYS-730p-on-NFL-NETWORK&p=6449277#post6449277

It was the impetus behind the closer look QB series of threads w/ Martin.

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 05:28 PM ----------

Thank you but I don't know about best thread ever but appreciate the kind words. The zone blocking scheme takes so much repetition to perfect you can't really bounce around between different blocking schemes as Gibbs discusses in the videos. You can't just wake up and decide you want to add some counters and power runs because it changes all the rules and keys for the oline. What we can do is add new offense like pistol,spreads,zone read option because our oline is not learning anything different and block the same for a zone stretch as they would a jet sweep. Essentially everything remains the same except for position of the QB pre snap. The possibilities are endless with Shanahan and Griffin III.
This is complete conjecture on my part but your post made me wonder if the riff between Shanahan and Gibbs was the result of Mike wanting more diversity in the running game?

Because the Denver ground game did have some pulls, traps and counters.

It could be the age old micro/macro conflict that happens in many managed systems.

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 05:40 PM ----------

Haha everyone starts somewhere and learns differently. I thought I knew a good bit about the techniques of our run game but I learned a ton from all the videos. I think it is pretty easy to see why coaches prefer TH/ Royster over Helu as a starter based on Fred Davis doesn't seal the edge that well. Helu is the better outside runner of the group but if Davis poor blocking makes the backs run inside more rather than bounce it outside and inside runs favor TH/Royster.
Hmmm surprised that the staff would favor any back (if healthy) over Helu; to my eye Helu is the best all around back on the roster, but as per his mo he's banged up right now.

Also, i dunno seems kinda unwise to make a decision based upon an deficeincy *shrugs*

If they don't think Davis seals the edge well enough, and sealing the edge is important to them then they should play someone who can seal the edge; instead of conceding that they can't seal the edge and making a RB decision based on this inability.

But, I think Davis is a better blocker then he gets credit for being.

Sure he needs to be more consistent but imho Davis decent in the run game or at the very least not an out and out liability which seems to be the perception.

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 05:40 PM ----------

I'm excited to watch this Morris kid.

Didn't watch him in the Bills game.

RG3 is going to succeed in this offense for not only his talent and athletic ability, but his high IQ. When he gets this down like a science the O is going to be deadly.

Just on the 2nd video with Gibbs noting that you need either the center or QB to be able to be the "brains" of this scheme, its almost as if RG3 was made for this type of offense.

I'd love to see the zone stretch run from the pistol. I guess you'd have to offset the back, and for timing's sake you'd have either a boot or draw-like movement from the QB, but I imagine the vision afforded to the QB pre and post snap could be valuable.
I can't find the right word to express my eagerness to see this offense in action.

I'm giddy at the possibilities but i'm trying to temper my imagination so I can accept the reality whatever it is.

But, damn the possibilities...I switched to watching on youtube and some of the some literally made me drool.

Imagine: spread set with 2 wideouts on the same side say (L)

imagine what would happen on an zone-read (inside) where the contain commits to the back and the backers commit to the back and the WRs reach the SS and CB and Griff keeps to the outside? T O A S T

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7429732/chris-brown-gary-kubiak-houston-texans-running-game

Great nutshell of the Gibbs/ZBS.^^^

Whoo.. that is some good stuff.

Question.. do we run this scheme exclusively or do we add other elements as well? Gibbs seems to be saying that when you add other types of blocking it becomes too difficult for the line to keep straight (if I'm understanding him right).

Also, I can see Brown's lack of mobility and Davis' blocking skills could really hinder the run game. Is this part of why we seemed to run better when Davis was out? I hope not!

Easy to see why Hightower struggled trying to bounce it outside instead of just taking what he was given.

I can't find the right word to express my eagerness to see this offense in action.

I'm giddy at the possibilities but i'm trying to temper my imagination so I can accept the reality whatever it is.

But, damn the possibilities...I switched to watching on youtube and some of the some literally made me drool.

Imagine: spread set with 2 wideouts on the same side say (L)

imagine what would happen on an zone-read (inside) where the contain commits to the back and the backers commit to the back and the WRs reach the SS and CB and Griff keeps to the outside? T O A S T

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7429732/chris-brown-gary-kubiak-houston-texans-running-game

Great nutshell of the Gibbs/ZBS.^^^

You are going to see some plays this season that make you drool bro lol. I have bad cell service at the beach so can't give you a detailed reply to your responses earlier. Check out this write up on Fred Davis blocking http://mobile.hogshaven.com/2012/8/16/3246861/how-reliable-is-fred-davis-as-a-run-blocker#top

You are going to see some plays this season that make you drool bro lol. I have bad cell service at the beach so can't give you a detailed reply to your responses earlier. Check out this write up on Fred Davis blocking http://mobile.hogshaven.com/2012/8/16/3246861/how-reliable-is-fred-davis-as-a-run-blocker#top

Dont have too much fun at Seacrets buddy ;)

Archived