Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24/7:Film Sessions:Alex Gibbs teaches the stretch run scheme..UPDATED W/PT.2 ( PA pass game etc)

Lavarleap56

During his off time from coaching(2009-2010) it has been well publicized that Mike Shanahan traveled to New England,Pittsburgh,Oregon, and Florida to study other philosophies. Going into year 3 of the "Shanaplan" you can see the influences of Belicheck in how the team has worked the draft and team managment to a degree. I see the influences of the Pittsburgh Steelers in our defensive scheme switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. What we have not seen yet is what exactly was Mike looking to take away from two of the brightest minds on zone read option football in Chip Kelly and Urban Myer? I don't think anyone thinks Mike is going to scrap his offense and transition into a Zone Spread full time but what if his master plan is to marry the two run schemes together? I remember watching Gruden's QB camp with Ryan Tannehill and at one point Gruden was in aw as Texas A&M ran the zone read scheme along with west coast pass concepts.

We knew Mike Shanahan went to Florida but most people didn't know Myer took his staff to Atlanta to be schooled by Alex Gibbs. Now if you don't

know the name Alex Gibbs he was Mike Shanahans Offensive line coach from 1995-2003 with the Denver Broncos. Gibbs is widely respected around the league as the godfather and biggest proponent of the zone blocking scheme and its use in the NFL. Posted below are the classroom sessions from the UF/Gibbs coaching sessions and while they may be long (1 hour each) they are filled with great information on everything included in the stretch scheme and future advances.Im sure you would rather learn about our scheme from a master rather than myself so check it out and enjoy and let us know what you think in the comments.

Football nerds enjoy:)

PT1

http://httr24-7.com/?p=2229

PT2

http://httr24-7.com/?p=2292

Well that's my next 5 nights viewing 'entertainment' sorted.

I don't know whether to thank ya' man, or throttle ya'. :ols:

Hail.

I would much rather talk about this kinda of stuff rather than argue over players for now lol. Have fun and watch every minute of every one because they contain tons of information. Gibbs does cuss a lot tho lol

Strong LL. I appreciate it.

I brought up in another thread about how Bobby Knight used to use 7 or 8 players against his 5 at Indiana to help coach them to beat the press. It seems that Shanny is taking bits from here and there and making the overall product he thinks will be the most successful in the long run over the season. New philosophies and ways of doing things are always good. You can tell how much the players are loving it too.

He did the impossible with me. He showed me how good RG3 was and left me wanting much much more... and he showed me how good/deep our defense was and left me wanting much much more. No satisfaction here... I want to see more. And apparently the players expect more out of themselves these days, such a breath of fresh air.

This is starting to become more and more fun.

Well that's my next 5 nights viewing 'entertainment' sorted.

I don't know whether to thank ya' man, or throttle ya'. :ols:

Hail.

I have to agree here, this is going to be awesome. Except I have no desire to throttle him.

So LL is this one yours? Last time I said I liked it, you said you didn't do it....LOL.

I am going to have to show this one to my son too.

I have to agree here, this is going to be awesome. Except I have no desire to throttle him.

So LL is this one yours? Last time I said I liked it, you said you didn't do it....LOL.

I am going to have to show this one to my son too.

Yeah I put this one together so hope people check it out and learn about our offense. NLC1054 holds down our blogs so I just wanted people to get credit for their work.

Can't see/watch at work, but I'm looking forward to watching when I get home.

Re:

What we have not seen yet is what exactly was Mike looking to take away from two of the brightest minds on zone read option football in Chip Kelly and Urban Myer? I don't think anyone thinks Mike is going to scrap his offense and transition into a Zone Spread full time but what if his master plan is to marry the two run schemes together? I remember watching Gruden's QB camp with Ryan Tannehill and at one point Gruden was in aw as Texas A&M ran the zone read scheme along with west coast pass concepts

For me, conceptually the zone read + ZBS are a perfect marriage its like the evolution of boot-swap concept.

Jon Gruden talks about the zone read + WCO concepts that could be possibilities for our offense if Kyle adds zone-read plays/concepts:

skip to 7:50-8:30 (where Gruden talks about zone read+WCO concepts)

This read option combined with the WCO offense is just down right scary...no huddle offense..hey...it regulates the coverage and fronts a defense can play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO6UgIg1AU4

My take...http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?365111-Designing-An-Offense-for-Robert-Griffin-III-You-Can-t-Know-Where-You-re-Going-Until-You-Know-Where-You-ve-Been/page2

Very little changes from the POV of the OL going from a tradition WCO to zone-read.

Also the boot-keep/boot-swap aspects of the ZBS running game transfer directly to zone-read.

You can convert a boot-action pass into a zone-read pass by changing the mesh points for the QB and RB.

Not a whole lot else would have to change as far as route patterns and pass concepts.

So I think he's refering to the ease of the transition.

But he could just mean to laud the contributions the zone-read would add to any offense in general and he just happens to relate directly to the WCO because when he watches A&M he sees the WCO+zone read in action?

I like the zone-read attack with a mobile QB because it creates a numerical advantage in the running game that teams must account for or get gashed by.

Add the increased tempo and a defense can quickly get on their heels and when teams sell out to stop the bleeding they're screwed because all the elements of the zone-read attack look the same.

Is it a keep? Is it inside zone, outside zone, or cutback, or is it a pass?

All it takes is a LB or DB to get flat footed or worse take a false step then boom chunk passing plays (even with a limited passer like Tebow).

Its like guerrilla play-action.

Well this thread is a nice change of pace! Many thanks for posting this LL.

I'm just running for some meetings but will spend some time this evening going over this in detail.

---------- Post added August-15th-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

Unfortunately my girlfriend is not going to be nearly excited when she gets home.

Go the whole hog and hook up your laptop to your big screen TV so you can watch the videos in larger scale. Be sure to go back over some sections multiple time - my wife LOVES it when I do that. Well I thinks that's what she was saying, I was not really paying attention :)

Can't see/watch at work, but I'm looking forward to watching when I get home.

Re:

For me, conceptually the zone read + ZBS are a perfect marriage its like the evolution of boot-swap concept.

Jon Gruden talks about the zone read + WCO concepts that could be possibilities for our offense if Kyle adds zone-read plays/concepts:

skip to 7:50-8:30 (where Gruden talks about zone read+WCO concepts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO6UgIg1AU4

My take...http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?365111-Designing-An-Offense-for-Robert-Griffin-III-You-Can-t-Know-Where-You-re-Going-Until-You-Know-Where-You-ve-Been/page2

Very little changes from the POV of the OL going from a tradition WCO to zone-read.

Also the boot-keep/boot-swap aspects of the ZBS running game transfer directly to zone-read.

You can convert a boot-action pass into a zone-read pass by changing the mesh points for the QB and RB.

Not a whole lot else would have to change as far as route patterns and pass concepts.

So I think he's refering to the ease of the transition.

But he could just mean to laud the contributions the zone-read would add to any offense in general and he just happens to relate directly to the WCO because when he watches A&M he sees the WCO+zone read in action?

I like the zone-read attack with a mobile QB because it creates a numerical advantage in the running game that teams must account for or get gashed by.

Add the increased tempo and a defense can quickly get on their heels and when teams sell out to stop the bleeding they're screwed because all the elements of the zone-read attack look the same.

Is it a keep? Is it inside zone, outside zone, or cutback, or is it a pass?

All it takes is a LB or DB to get flat footed or worse take a false step then boom chunk passing plays (even with a limited passer like Tebow).

Its like guerrilla play-action.

Oh after watching all the videos I agree with you on all of the above. Gibbs goes into it pretty in depth and really hits home that the OL scheme stays the same and as long as the mesh point is the same nothing changes for them up front. Video number 4 I learned they ran a type of zone/read/pass scheme with Vick under center. I always knew they liked the qb keep/boot game but didn't know it was Qb Call off reading the DE. I definatly learned a ton and will probably watch them a few more times.

---------- Post added August-15th-2012 at 08:07 PM ----------

This is a great resource LL thanks for the link. Unfortunately my girlfriend is not going to be nearly excited when she gets home.

Haha hey my girlfriend was watching lifetime while i was in the labtop w/headphones watching all of these. I feel like I can coach up a little league oline and dominate.

Great info and thread LL, and yeah it is def. a nice refresher from the other stuff, lol.

I think the acquisitions along the line, and our draft prospects there this year show a greater dedication to the stretch run aspect.

Trent Williams can get upfield and block well at the 2nd level, like he showed on Garcon's screen pass TD in preseason game 1. Ribs seems to have the agility to do the same, and Chester does as well, just needs to comfortable in the scheme. Licht. is well-versed in Shanny's style, here's hoping he gets back to playing ability by game 1.

I saw some aspects of the stretch I believe in preseason game 1, though it was mostly vanilla run schemes it seemed, but we were definitely testing that right edge. We know the left side, but with brown out and Chester out I get why were testing the right edge.

RG3 of course adds a whole new aspect to stretch with his threat to run. You can fake a stretch run and get all the defenders to commit to one side and then play action RG3 to rollout on the other side and take off or hit a deep pass. Plus, his threat to take off keep the defense honest as well obviously.

Great work LL

I can't believe I've never come across this footage before.

I'm watching the first one now, wow Gibbs is on point and he's a bit of a tease

Oh Gibbs is a trip but damn if he does not know his stuff. Video 1 is basically the basics but 2,3,4 gets into the meat and potatoes of the run schemes and OL calls based on fronts. I new when I put this together it would be a thing for football heads and some would skip over it. Sad in a way when you can learn so much about our scheme and give yourself a better understanding of why it is or is not working. I can talk all day about this stuff and prefer it actually compared to the other threads ive been in lately.

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 12:22 AM ----------

Same here...ultimate dagger.

why can't you see them at work?

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 12:32 AM ----------

I watched every minute of each video and Gibbs never said Mike Shanahans name, only "the coach in denver" lol. Would love to know what the real reason for the falling out was but they have supposedly but that in the past and are cool now.

I watched and then re-watched the first one earlier. (I was never the most attentive in the classroom, lol.).

This dude is my kinda' no B/S. tell it like it is and get the job done coach. Straight talking and to the point. I'm blown away that they only run 12 base run plays.

Something tells me I'll of watched WAY more than 5 hours of this when I'm done.

Hail.

Best thread ive ever seen. Thank you for spreading the knowledge LL.

I see the same setups out of the pistol we are running. So many possibilities!

Thank you but I don't know about best thread ever but appreciate the kind words. The zone blocking scheme takes so much repetition to perfect you can't really bounce around between different blocking schemes as Gibbs discusses in the videos. You can't just wake up and decide you want to add some counters and power runs because it changes all the rules and keys for the oline. What we can do is add new offense like pistol,spreads,zone read option because our oline is not learning anything different and block the same for a zone stretch as they would a jet sweep. Essentially everything remains the same except for position of the QB pre snap. The possibilities are endless with Shanahan and Griffin III.

Archived