Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Shuler's Debut -- August, 1994

Riggo#44

Want me to make you feel alllll better?

Look at how intelligent, hard-working and respectful RGIII is...

Well, it was 18 years ago, so I've gotten over it, but thanks. :rolleyes:

And it just goes to show, it's quite a bit more difficult to be a successful NFL quarterback than it is to be an average congressman.

If he stinks it up, then we will be hearing about it from everywhere.

You know it & I know it.

So lets hope for a solid performance from a rookie debut.

Is that too much to ask?

probably..

Ignore it. Those are people and media that don't know a thing about "preseason" football.

I don't remember it but if the booing was that loud to garner a question and response then it was FAR too much booing for a rookie QB making their debut. For some time we were pretty good at trying to deflate our own players. Not saying that that's why he failed, but we didn't exactly help the situation.

I think there is a paradigm shift going on with RGIII. Whether you have complete faith or not I think most people know to exercise a bit of patience.

You gotta remember he held out for a good amount of time and some of the fan base was not to happy about that at the time. So it wasn't only the dismal showing that people were on him about. He got off on the wrong foot and it only got worse. Kind of exactly the opposite of what you see with Griff. Hopefully the play will be a polar opposite too! ;)

Well, it was 18 years ago, so I've gotten over it, but thanks. :rolleyes:

And it just goes to show, it's quite a bit more difficult to be a successful NFL quarterback than it is to be an average congressman.

Lets be honest -- he ran in Tennessee where he starred at QB. If you run in Tennessee as a former Vol, so long as you don't currently have dead bodies in your back yard, you'll get elected :)

---------- Post added August-9th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

If he stinks it up, then we will be hearing about it from everywhere.

You know it & I know it.

Only from idiots -- so basically 90% of the population of CowboysZone.com, the entire New York Giants fanbase (I'd include the Eagles fan base, but well, that would require them to write legibly), and anyone at ESPN not named Dan Graziano.

Lets be honest -- he ran in Tennessee where he starred at QB. If you run in Tennessee as a former Vol, so long as you don't currently have dead bodies in your back yard, you'll get elected :)

If the dead bodies went to U-Florida, add another 10,000 votes. :D

---------- Post added August-9th-2012 at 02:09 PM ----------

He's a rep in North Carolina actually.

Damn carpetbagger!

And yet almost two decades later Norv Turner is STILL an NFL head coach and Heath Shuler's in Congress. Something seems wrong with the world...

And how.

Also note that Charley Casserly is on TV and considered an NFL expert, and Vinny Cerrato gets his own radio show. What a world.

I have so much more confidence in RG3.

"DUDE!!! Did you see that Heath Shuler interview" "Holy ****, I did, was just about to call you. He's a ****ing IDIOT!" "I know. I was just sitting there watching it shaking my head. He sounds as dumb as a ****ing post".

Maybe this corroborates your observations.

My time at UTK overlapped with Peyton Manning and Tee Martin, and started shortly after Shuler went to the NFL. I remember asking some people, other students or the teachers I had, if they had ever had classes with a football player like Shuler or Manning.

I guess the football fan in me was kind of amazed to think about the idea that some guy I could watch down at the stadium (or on TV when I couldn't get tickets), and maybe one day in the NFL, could be in a class I was in.

Anyway, no one I knew was in any classes with the major stars, though there were friends of friends of other guys (like Peerless Price).

But the more I asked around the more I heard other students tell me that a lot of the players, like Shuler, don't take take classes.

Again, this is all less-than second hand, so maybe I shouldn't even be saying anything, but people kept telling me that the star athletes would have their work done for them by volunteer students, or sometimes even the teachers themselves would do it -- for tickets to game or other similar favors. For someone like Shuler, his life has worked out well either way, but it's a shame if any of this is true, and may, as I said, lend credence to the "****ing IDIOT!" response, not to mention other athletes who didn't turn out as lucky.

The stuff I heard about Shuler always made me so much more appreciative of Peyton Manning -- who graduated early with a great GPA, ala RG3. :D Of course, I never appreciated Peyton as a QB, haha. And then Tee won the championship that Peyton couldn't.

Still rambling: I was hopeful for Shuler in DC. It seemed like he was always on the cusp of turning the corner. He'd flash some talent, then drop off or get hurt. It was frustrating. When he went to New Orleans, I wrote him a letter and said I was disappointed the 'Skins gave up on him and that I'd watch some Saints games and root for him a little (but the 'Skins always comes first).

He hand-wrote a response back, thanking me for the support and saying that he enjoyed his time in DC but wished it had turned out better.

I didn't really follow him in New Orleans, I'll admit. Getting their games was tough, so I had to resort to box scores -- which isn't the same thing.

Ending this ramble: Shuler, to me, was one of the first major symbols of our post Gibbs dark ages. There was always more than enough optimism, but rarely any sustained play resembling the Gibbs era.

Maybe this corroborates your observations.

My time at UTK overlapped with Peyton Manning and Tee Martin, and started shortly after Shuler went to the NFL. I remember asking some people, other students or the teachers I had, if they had ever had classes with a football player like Shuler or Manning.

I guess the football fan in me was kind of amazed to think about the idea that some guy I could watch down at the stadium (or on TV when I couldn't get tickets), and maybe one day in the NFL, could be in a class I was in.

Anyway, no one I knew was in any classes with the major stars, though there were friends of friends of other guys (like Peerless Price).

But the more I asked around the more I heard other students tell me that a lot of the players, like Shuler, don't take take classes.

This is not accurate. Or, at least it wasn't after you. I had a friend that had class with Casey Clausen and he actually did go. I'm sure they only make it to half of them, but they actually do go. It's a requirement. Plus, you're in the Fulmer era. Dooley wouldn't put up with this s***.

When Shuler came to Gameday in Knoxville for the UF game about 10 years ago, I booed the hell out of him and told him he was the reason for the demise of the Redskins. I was very close to the Gameday set, too.

Archived